Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Out Of Town

Default Re: Out Of Town

I am certain that Out of Town was one of the top 100 entries in Channel 4's TV Moments from Hell back in around 2000 where a Talking Head on the programme said that Hargreaves was the inspiration for Bob Fleming from The Fast Show.

Channel 4 actually repeated some episodes around 1984 on Tuesdays? I assume that Southern TV's programmes were sold onto the same company that allowed Channel 4 to repeat Worzel Gummidge a couple of years later as well.

The pipe smoking thing would be so controversial these days when we are supposed to be non-smokers for health and safety reasons, and I can understand why, but pipe tobacco brands like Mellow Virginia and St Bruno were still be advertised on TV well into the early 1990s - the stereotype was that everyone had a grandfather who smoked a pipe as it was always shorthand for someone who was retired, or taking up hobbies such as fishing or writing at a bureau desk.
    I am a man (just in case anyone asks).

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I am certain that Out of Town was one of the top 100 entries in Channel 4's TV Moments from Hell back in around 2000 where a Talking Head on the programme said that Hargreaves was the inspiration for Bob Fleming from The Fast Show.

Channel 4 actually repeated some episodes around 1984 on Tuesdays? I assume that Southern TV's programmes were sold onto the same company that allowed Channel 4 to repeat Worzel Gummidge a couple of years later as well.

The pipe smoking thing would be so controversial these days when we are supposed to be non-smokers for health and safety reasons, and I can understand why, but pipe tobacco brands like Mellow Virginia and St Bruno were still be advertised on TV well into the early 1990s - the stereotype was that everyone had a grandfather who smoked a pipe as it was always shorthand for someone who was retired, or taking up hobbies such as fishing or writing at a bureau desk.
    Never thought about the Bob flemming connection,now it seems obvious but i dont recall Jack coughing his lungs up all the time,also the worlds gone mad if you cant be seen smoking a pipe on tv...dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Never thought about the Bob flemming connection,now it seems obvious but i dont recall Jack coughing his lungs up all the time,also the worlds gone mad if you cant be seen smoking a pipe on tv...dont you think?

Harold Wilson would smoke his pipe when being interviewed on TV. He would have a puff when being asked a question as it gave him an extra couple of seconds to consider his response.