Australian drama set during a storm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian drama set during a storm?

Here's a movie/programme that's been bugging me. I remember seeing it probably in the late 80's and it being newish at the time so I'm guessing it's a mid 80s production, tho don't limit it to those dates as I could be wrong on that.

It was set in the Australian outback. The story was set in a sort of old pub or restaurant, really rustic (imagine the kind of place Crocodile Dundee might hang out). A storm hits the the town (iirc in the story they had been warned it was coming, some people left , others stayed and made preparations). The storm hit at night and I remember one scene vividly where a tree or something blown by the storm breaks the electric/telephone lines so the people in the movie and therefore stranded to deal with the situation alone.

I'm probably making it sound like some post apoc thriller but it really wasn't that complex. It was just a sort of straightforward storm hits and people have to deal with it story. Might have even been based a true story considering how matter of fact it seemed to be to me.

Maybe it rings a bell for someone here? Thanks.

Re: Australian drama set during a storm?

Was it the mini- series "Cyclone Tracy"?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I can't find any video to confirm it but from what I've read about the show it certainly has potential to be the right answer? Indeed one review on IMDB mentions "the redneck-est pub in the whole territory" which would certainly fit the description of what little I remember.

Comment

Yeah,sounds like it to me.Stars Tracy Mann.She had short hair and yes,it was based on a true story .Cyclone Tracy destroyed Darwin on xmas day 1974.There's a song about it called Santa Never Mde it Into Darwin by Bill And Boyd.

Comment

Cyclone Tracy is available on DVD from Amazon. It's an Australian region 0 release.
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
            Cyclone Tracy is available on DVD from Amazon. It's an Australian region 0 release.
            Is it really? I am from OZ and even i didn't know that .lol.I may buy it myself.Thanks for the info, Stuckinthe80s.

Comment

I watched the DVD about a year ago. Didn't realise that little Sally from Home and Away was in it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X