A ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ha

AHA ARE a Norwegian pop band formed in Oslo in 1982.

The band was founded by Morten Harket Magne Furuholmen and Pål Waaktaar. The group initially rose to fame during the mid 80's after being discovered by musician and producer John Ratcliff and had continued global success in the 90s and 2000s.

A-ha achieved their biggest success with their debut album, Hunting High and Low, in 1985.
    T
    hat album eeached at number one in their native Norway, number 2 in the UK and number 15 on the U.S. Billboard album chart, yielded two international number-one singles, Take on Me and "The Sun Always Shines on T.V. and earned the band a Grammy Award nomination as Best New Artist.

In the UK, Hunting High and Low continued its chart success into the following year, becoming one of the best-selling albums of 1986.

In 94 after their fifth studio album, Memorial Beach which failed to achieve the commercial success of their previous albums, the band went on a hiatus.

Following the performance at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in 1998, the band returned to the studio and recorded their sixth album, 2000's Minor Earth Major Sky, which was another number-one in Norway and resulted in a new tour. A seventh studio album, Lifelines, was released in 2002, and an eighth album, Analogue, in 2005, was certified Silver in the uk their most successful album there since 90's East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Their ninth album, Foot of the Mountain, was first released on 19 June 2009 and returned the band to the UK Top 5 for the first time since 88.

being certified Silver there and Platinum in Germany. The album peaked at number two in Norway their first not to reach number 1 in their homeland.
    On 15th October 2009, the band announced they would split after a worldwide tour in 2010, the Ending On A High Note tour.
    Thousands of fans from at least 40 different countries on six continents congregated to see A-ha for the last time.

The band have sold over 36 million albums and 15 million singles worldwide. In less than a year, during 2010, the band earned an estimated 500 million Norwegian Kroner on touring tickets, merchandising and release of a greatest hits album, making them one of the 40-50 largest grossing bands in the world
    Last edited by darren; 14-04-2012, 01:59.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: A ha

I must admit, I didn't know about their more recent albums. For me, it's the amazing video made for 'Take on Me' that will always stick in my mind.

Comment

i loved the 'take on me' vid.......it was very unique at the time

Comment

Indeed. Unique and actually quite moving. When Morten throws himself against the walls in order to 'break out' from the comic strip, it really got to me, emotionally.

Comment

oh i agree there mate.
          whhen i saw the vid recently it quite shocked me as it shocked the girl who saw it.
          anyone know who she is.

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          Indeed. Unique and actually quite moving. When Morten throws himself against the walls in order to 'break out' from the comic strip, it really got to me, emotionally.

Comment

Foot of the Mountain was an exceptionally good album, with opening track The Bandstand the standout for me.

sigpic

Comment

According to wiki she is Therese "Bunty" Bailey, an English model, dancer and actress who was Morten Harket's girlfriend at the time the video for Take on Me was made.

I heard a new track by Harket on the radio yesterday. It was quite good.
              "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I always thought the Take On Me video was terribly cheesy.. almost Viz- like in imagery! I kind of like the band despite them having the worst band name ever and a bit of a whiny singer.
                I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                  I always thought the Take On Me video was terribly cheesy.. almost Viz- like in imagery! I kind of like the band despite them having the worst band name ever and a bit of a whiny singer.
                  yes its a bit cheesy but i still love it.
                  fantastic video though.

P.S. cheers for the info jacqueline.

Comment

I remember being very impressed by the Take On Me video, the ones for The Sun Always Shines On TV & Touchy were also very good IIRC.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have liked A-Ha for as quite a while, but I think it was quite a while after the 1980s that I really knew about A-Ha - though i'd known about them before. Take On Me was a great song that I really liked. It sure is a great Song - one that I will always recall when I think of A-Ha.

80sChav

Comment

for a lot of people its probably there signature song.

it has a superb video as she is sucked into the black and white comic when she puts her hand in his.

they have other good songs though.

the sun always shines on tv is good.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        I have liked A-Ha for as quite a while, but I think it was quite a while after the 1980s that I really knew about A-Ha - though i'd known about them before. Take On Me was a great song that I really liked. It sure is a great Song - one that I will always recall when I think of A-Ha.

80sChav
                        Last edited by darren; 20-09-2012, 23:43.

Comment

Unfortunately had to sell a lot of my eighties records and am replaced some by CD. Am thinking of buying an itunes player are they any good? Is it just songs they play or do they play the videos too?

Anyway this is one song and the fantastic video which I still love today (thank god for Youtube) it still gets me at the end :cry: This video is still timeless to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBIS...&feature=share
                          Last edited by Beach Life; 19-11-2012, 18:26.

Comment

oh i know the way he hits himself off the walls.
                            quite shocking.:cry:
                            these two went out in reallife.

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
                            Unfortunately had to sell a lot of my eighties records and am replaced some by CD. Am thinking of buying an itunes player are they any good? Is it just songs they play or do they play the videos too?

Anyway this is one song and the fantastic video which I still love today (thank god for Youtube) it still gets me at the end :cry: This video is still timeless to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBIS...&feature=share

Comment

Take On Me is their finest moment. Great video and still love the song today. I didn't mind the A1 cover, but A-Ha did it so much better.
                              I had their Headlines & Deadlines compilation, but only got into a few of the songs.
                              I liked You Are The One, Touchy, and Stay On These Roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X