World Cup Wille 1966 Mascot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Wille 1966 Mascot

I had a World Cup Willie from 1966 a lion, still got him now.

You should've put him on top of the telly for the Croatia game last week Oggy !
    My fave World cup mascot was Naranjito, the Spain 82 one, an orange in Spain's kit - bit like a smiley when there was no internet !
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Don't think even Willie would have helped us.

Comment

Did we have a mascot for the world this year, we need more than a mascot anyhows, how about we have Harry Potter, he could give us some magic to spur us on, by golly we need something, all the money , and individually we have stars, Rooney, Joe Cole, John Terry, Gerarrd, and we win nowt, why, no passion, and no Beckham niether, say what you will about him he gave his all for his country, and was our best player int he world cup. There you go rant over.

Comment

And there was I thinking that it was a medical condition from too much celebrating.. little did I know it was a mascot!!

If we need a mascot for the next World Cup, I suggest Airfix are involved somewhere along the line. After all, they know all about glueless kits...
          Cheers

Armchair

Comment

Witty Armchair, nope Willie existed at least he had something to cheer about in nineteen sixty six with Bobby Moore and the lads, what was this years mascot Droopy?

Comment

Ah, I wish Willie had a fellow mascot to cheer with him, so that they could both crow about their respective England World Cup winning teams... 40 years later... we still believe...
              Cheers

Armchair

Comment

Nah think we live in hope, after forty years, and one World cup, sad though, I kinda dreamed of David beckham lifting the cup.

Comment

This was him, but I had the figure, lol.

Comment

D'ye think McLaren is the man, lads ? IMO Terry is the most natural onfield leader, tho Gerrard makes things happen more.
                    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Nah i'd rather have had big Sam from Bolton, he's got passion, we have th eplayers single, but not as team, well most of the time it seems that way, and for their own clubs thy do the buisness week in week out. To give him his due Steve Gerrard has had some good games for England just recently, and JT is a natural captain.

Comment

Re: World Cup Wille 1966 Mascot

Back on topic, does anyone remember the song that tied in with the World Cup Willie mascot? It was sung by Lonnie Donegan, and the chorus went:

"Dressed in red, white and blue
                        He's World Cup Willie
                        We all love him too
                        World Cup Willie
                        He's tough as a lion
                        And never will give up
                        That's why Willie
                        Is favourite for the Cup"

It was all over the radio in 1966. Ring any bells, anyone?...

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                          I had a World Cup Willie from 1966 a lion, still got him now.
                          Have got a small plastic world cup willy from 1966. In the base part of it is a ball bearing, so he could be pushed around. Only stands about an inch and a half. Tried to find it on the internet during the last world cup, but couldn't find any reference to it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ceg56 View Post
                            Have got a small plastic world cup willy from 1966. Tried to find it on the internet during the last world cup, but couldn't find any reference to it at all.
                            Typing Small plastic Willy into Google could bring up some interesting results

Comment

Pmsl
                              Heather

Comment

Working...
                              X