the great storm of 1987

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the great storm of 1987

The Great Storm of 1987 occurred on the night of 15–16 October 1987, when an unusually strong weather system caused winds to hit much of southern England and northern France. It was the worst storm to hit England since the Great Storm of 1703 284 years earlier) and was responsible for the deaths of at least 22 people in England and France combined (18 in England, at least four in France).According to the Beaufort scale of wind intensities, this storm had winds of hurricane force; however, the term hurricane refers to tropical cyclones originating in the North Atlantic or North Pacific. Hurricanes have a very different wind profile and distribution from storms, and significantly higher precipitation levels.
    The storm was declared a rare event, expected to happen only once every several hundred years. However, the Burns' Day storm hit the United Kingdom in January 1990, less than three years later and with comparable intensity
    Four or five days before the storm struck, forecasters had predicted bad weather on the following Thursday or Friday, 15-16 October. By midweek, however, guidance from weather prediction models was somewhat equivocal. Instead of stormy weather over a considerable part of the UK, the models suggested that severe weather would reach no farther north than the English Channel and coastal parts of southern England. During the afternoon of 15 October, winds were very light over most parts of the UK. The pressure gradient was slack. A depression was drifting slowly northwards over the North Sea off eastern Scotland. A col lay over England, Wales and Ireland. Over the Bay of Biscay, a depression was developing.
    The first gale warnings for sea areas in the English Channel were issued at 0630 UTC on 15 October and were followed, four hours later, by warnings of severe gales. At 1200 UTC on 15 October, the depression which originated in the Bay of Biscay was centred near 46° N, 9° W and its depth was 970 mb. By 1800 UTC, it had moved north-east to about 47° N, 6° W, and deepened to 964 mb. At 2235 UTC, winds of Force 10 were forecast. By midnight, the depression was over the western English Channel, and its central pressure was 953 mb. At 0140 on 16 October, warnings of Force 11 were issued. The depression now moved rapidly north-east, filling a little as it did, reaching the Humber estuary at about 0530 UTC, by which time its central pressure was 959 mb. Dramatic increases in temperature were associated with the passage of the storm's warm front.
    It is now clear that for sea areas, warnings of severe weather were both timely and adequate, although forecasts for land areas left much to be desired. During the evening of 15 October, radio and TV forecasts mentioned strong winds, but indicated that heavy rain would be the main feature, rather than wind. By the time most people went to bed, exceptionally strong winds had not been mentioned in national radio and TV weather broadcasts. Warnings of severe weather had been issued, however, to various agencies and emergency authorities, including the London Fire Brigade. Perhaps the most important warning was issued by the Met Office to the Ministry of Defence at 0135 UTC, 16 October. It warned that the anticipated consequences of the storm were such that civil authorities might need to call on assistance from the military.
    In south-east England, where the greatest damage occurred, gusts of 70 knots (130 km/h; 81 mph) or more were recorded continually for three or four consecutive hours. During this time, the wind veered from southerly to south-westerly. To the north-west of this region, there were two maxima in gust speeds, separated by a period of lower wind speeds. During the first period, the wind direction was southerly. During the latter, it was south-westerly. Damage patterns in south-east England suggested that whirlwinds accompanied the stormUnited Kingdom

Storm damage in England

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: the great storm of 1987

The storm made landfall in Cornwall, before tracking northeast towards Devon and then over the Midlands, going out to sea via The Wash. The strongest gusts, of up to 100 knots (190 km/h; 120 mph), were recorded along the south-eastern edge of the storm, hitting mainly Sussex, Essex and Kent.
    The storm caused substantial damage over much of England, downing an estimated 15 million trees[4] (including six of the seven famous oak trees in Sevenoaks,[5] historic trees in Kew Gardens, Wakehurst Place, Nymans Garden, Hyde Park, London and Scotney Castle[6] and most of the trees making up Chanctonbury Ring), blocking roads and railways and leaving widespread structural damage to buildings. Several hundred thousand people were left without power, which was not fully restored until more than two weeks later. Local electric utility officials later said they lost more wires in that one storm than in the entire preceding decade. At sea, as well as many small boats being wrecked, a ship capsized at Dover and a Sealink cross-channel ferry, the MV Hengist, was driven ashore at Folkestone.
    In London, many of the plane trees lining the streets were blown down overnight, blocking roads and crushing parked cars. Building construction scaffolding and billboards had collapsed in many places, and many buildings had been damaged. The following morning, the BBC Lime Grove Centre in White City was unable to function due to a power failure, and both ITV's TV-am and BBC1's Breakfast Time programmes were broadcast from emergency facilities, reinforcing an impression of national emergency. Much of the public transport in the capital was not functioning, and people were advised against trying to go to work.
    The storm cost the insurance industry £2bn, making it the second most expensive UK weather event on record, to insurers.[7] Peak wind velocities were in the early hours of the morning, which probably reduced the death toll.[citation needed] The highest recorded windspeed (gust) was 122 mph (196 km/h) at Gorleston in Norfolk. [8]
    The storm hit the Isle of Wight at 2am, and Shanklin Pier on the south-east coast of the Island was broken into three pieces as a result of mountainous waves. Plans to rebuild the pier were soon abandoned, and the rest of the pier was demolished by contractors shortly afterwards. A monument now stands in front of what used to be the pier entrance.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

I slept through it.

Comment

I slept through it.........I remember waking to find the window banging against the wall so shut it and went back to sleep...........woke in the morning, opened the curtains to mass devastation.......my employer told me that if I didn't go in to work that day i would be sacked.........which was great as it was a good 5 mile walk as there wasn't any public transport running.....the buses that had ventured out were lying on their sides .......I went to work and left soon after..........bosses like that........stuff em!

Comment

Being oop North, I don't remember much about it except bits and pieces on the news. We didn't get the storm at all from what I remember.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Wasn't this the one when Michael Fish said some woman had phoned warning of the storm and he said on the weather forecast that there'd be no storm...? All I remember is it was a gloomy, very cold day and that the main bulk of it hit whilst I was asleep - well thats what my parents told me...luckily no damage was wrought to our house or our street.

Comment

I was lucky to be far enough north to avoid it, though I remember seeing all the damage on the news.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

here it is

Comment

remember hearing anout this and the damage it caused.
                  it did not effect northen ireland luckily.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was 8 and slept through it. The next day my garden was wrecked. Two big trees had fallen over and my swing was laying across the pond. I remember the wind was still very strong, I followed my mum into the garden and was shocked that I could hardly walk. : /

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                      I slept through it.
                      hi , i remember it and was in the YOC at the time and our bird group went to belvide resevoir to see a rare gull that had been blown off course. we saw it and it was a grey phalarope --bit like a blackheaded gull in size --- and we were so thrilled! not seen one since .

Comment

I looked out the window and through the driving rain watched various debris flying down the street. Got the next day off work, because of rail disruption. Phones were down too so couldnt phone in either. No mobiles back then .

Comment

Managed to get to work OK, so wasn't that bad down here (South)
                          was a fair bit of damage to be seen though, think most happened over night

Comment

I can remember some strong wind and a few broken willow trees which is normal from time to time.Apart from that the only other thing I can remember is that this storm totally wrecked good old Michael Fish's career.

I have faint memories of this storm taking many of the old oaks around sevenoaks or was it somewhere else.Memory of this is not all that good.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                              I can remember some strong wind and a few broken willow trees which is normal from time to time.Apart from that the only other thing I can remember is that this storm totally wrecked good old Michael Fish's career.

I have faint memories of this storm taking many of the old oaks around sevenoaks or was it somewhere else.Memory of this is not all that good.
                              It took down six of the seven Oaks at Sevenoaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X