Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Good Old Days

Default Re: The Good Old Days

TGOD was spoofed in Victoria Wood As Seen On TV, when Julie Walters sang a song that sounded period but with the usual Victoria Wood humour.

The Dr Who story The Talons Of Weng Chiang features a very TGOD style music hall, & a Leonard Sachs style MC, ironically not played by him though he did appear in at least one other DW story.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Help! Eartha Kitt appeared in The Good Old Days in the early 1970s. She sang two songs - Ma, he's making eyes at me was the first. But I can't find the title of the delightful second song that she sings? beginning at 10.50 or so on the video available on this site. Thanks
    Last edited by jim; 05-01-2013 at 12:57.

They should bring this show back!.........there's so much rubbish on tv now and a lot of people look to bbc4 for decent entertainment, particularly on a Friday night when they show really good music documentaries etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Help! Eartha Kitt appeared in The Good Old Days in the early 1970s. She sang two songs - Ma, he's making eyes at me was the first. But I can't find the title of the delightful second song that she sings? beginning at 10.50 or so on the video available on this site. Thanks
    Jim,

I tried to reply to your PM but I'm not sure if it went through. Trying to find the title of the second song has been a bit of a poser for me too but here's the lyrics.

Lovers sitting, waiting, shy
    As lovers often will
    Waiting for that hour of bliss
    When all the house is still

Then her Mama went out
    La da da da da da da dee
    And then her Papa went out
    La da da da da da da dee
    She and her beau stayed home
    Two of them on their own
    Waiting to be, longing to be alone

Nobody else about
    La da da da da da da dee
    Then his cigar went out
    La da da da da da da dee
    Nobody else about
    And then the lights went out
    Da da da da da da da da da de

I remember a girl from my class at primary school being in the audience. I recall that it was often groups that booked to go, like the WI, a church, or in my school Friend the Lions. I think then the organisation they went with had the responsibility of hiring costumes from a costumers. Think it must have been a great atmosphere.
    Does anyone know if it still goes on?

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    I would love to see Morecambe & Wise in that particular episode but I'm not sure it even exists anymore because unfortunately, the BBC didn't really start to archive their shows until the late '60s. Among the lost shows are "Running Wild", M&W's first TV show from 1954. I first learned about "The Good Old Days" from a sketch on "The Morecambe & Wise Show" where they made reference to it. In it Ernie is trying to replace Eric with a younger partner and suggests that perhaps Eric should try to get on at "The Good Old Days."
    The Morecambe and Wise edition does exist (B&W). BBC4 Screened it within the last year.

An interesting show, would be a fun DVD set with some good possibilities for extra features, but I think they figure nobody buys DVDs anymore.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

There was a wonderful atmosphere about The Good Old Days with performers and audience in Edwardian costume. I can recall watching it back in the mid 70s, particularly an episode with Tessie o' Shea, a big star then but probably forgotten now.

Arthur atkinson and Chester draws.....Fast show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ji4...i48tBHYzw&t=73
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.