Orange chopper bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange chopper bike.

My new chopper bike (the type with a 'crystal' gear knob, (not the tee handle my bruv got two years later). it was 1972 so..my twelfth birthday. I have never had that feeling again,not even with my first car. I looked after that bike; wish I still owned it!

Re: Orange chopper bike.

My Chopper bike was orange as well. It was a 1970 model with the original style gear change lever. That bike took me all over the place and I was heartbroken when my mom gave it away one day when I was about 16. Yes, it had been in our empty coal shed for years and I had outgrown it, but I had such good memories of it that I could have cried.

Comment

i wanted a chopper. didn't get one. i wanted a grifter. didn't get one. yet, my adopted sister did.

Comment

Choppers were great bikes. I can remember riding one that belonged to a relative before I had mine, and how much I wanted one after that. The Chopper was my last bike and I really wish I still had it.

Comment

We couldn't afford anything like that... :cry:
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            We couldn't afford anything like that... :cry:
            Nope, same here.

I built my own in the end from old parts and a chopper saddle from halfords.

Comment

Wasn't there a scare about these bikes? One being, if you went over the handle bars, you could end up smashing your ribs when caught in the u of the bars. The other being the "stalk" at the bottom of the handle bars sometimes snapped. Can anybody confirm if this was an "urban legend"?
              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Catching other body parts on the gear lever was another danger if thrown forward!
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember that it took a bit of time to get used to the distinctive steering with its deep 'U' shape, but after that it was fine. I can imagine, though, that some riders could have come a cropper when first riding that particular type of bike before getting the hang of it. Speaking personally, I didn't have any problems after some practice on our garden.

I think when I had the Chopper in 1970 it was about £25 give or take a couple of pounds, so not really cheap. The bike was my Christmas, birthday and Easter present for that year and my grandparents put some money towards it.

Comment

A particular feature of the Chopper was that you had to take one hand off the steering to change gear, so I wonder if that may have contributed to mishaps.

Comment

Easy to tip back as well

Comment

Despite that highly distinctive saddle, I am not sure how many riders would have tried to emulate chopper-style motor bikes by leaning back. Personally speaking, I didn't, sitting almost as upright or even as much as on a more conventional bike. I was quite young when I first had my Chopper so any controversies about its safety and design would have passed me by completely. I can't recall ever having had any mishaps that wouldn't have also happened on a normal bike. Others may have had, I don't know. I don't know if there were press/TV reports at the time raising concerns on the safety of the Chopper, but as I said, I was young at the time and if there were any, they would have passed me by.

Comment

Working...
                        X