Greg Ham R.I.P [1953-2012]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Ham R.I.P [1953-2012]

Greg Ham of 80's Aussie band Men At Work has passed away at age 58.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/entertainme...am-dies-at-58/

Sadly in recent years his musical achievements have been overshadowed by the ridiculous court ruling that his flute riff in the hit "Down Under" plagiarised the old children's song "Kookaburra".

If this is the precedent, why hasn't the copyright owner of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" sued Gotye yet?

sigpic

Re: Greg Ham R.I.P [1953-2012]

His flute riff DID plagurise, majorly

Comment

RIP Greg
      DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

sorry to hear this.
        r i p greg.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
          His flute riff DID plagurise, majorly
          I'm not saying it didn't, it was certainly close enough to hold up in court. I meant it was ridiculous in that it took 20-odd years to become an issue and IMO it reflects on Kookaburra's copyright holder as quite a mean-spirited cash grab. It's not an isolated case either, take the above-mentioned Gotye, for example. He even admits the catchy xylophone (?) riff in Somebody That I Used To Know rips off Baa Baa Black Sheep, yet the song has just hit number one in America and nobody's doubting his songwriting ability. I think there's a thread in the music section of this forum dedicated to songs that sound alike, it happens all the time and I just feel that poor old Greg was made an example of. It's a shame that the news reports of his death are dredging up the Kookaburra story again, proving his fear that that's what he'd be remembered for.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steveland Cleamer View Post
            I'm not saying it didn't, it was certainly close enough to hold up in court. I meant it was ridiculous in that it took 20-odd years to become an issue and IMO it reflects on Kookaburra's copyright holder as quite a mean-spirited cash grab. It's not an isolated case either, take the above-mentioned Gotye, for example. He even admits the catchy xylophone (?) riff in Somebody That I Used To Know rips off Baa Baa Black Sheep, yet the song has just hit number one in America and nobody's doubting his songwriting ability. I think there's a thread in the music section of this forum dedicated to songs that sound alike, it happens all the time and I just feel that poor old Greg was made an example of. It's a shame that the news reports of his death are dredging up the Kookaburra story again, proving his fear that that's what he'd be remembered for.
            I agree. I only recently found out about the court case, and agree it was mean spirited.
            Today I also had a similar experience.. watched the BBC Four Reggae show last night, and dragged out my UB40..
            googled the song "Burden Of Shame", only to see a writing credit for Van Morrison!
            Yes the sax and vocal tune is the same as "Moondance", but as its Reggae, I'd never really put the two together despite hearing Moondance first.
            Can only assume Morrison's lawyers sued as well

As for Goyte, now you mention it, yes I can hear BBBS, but had never noticed before

Comment

i actually quite liked this band
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcu7OCIqlqE

the cargo album has been played many many times

Comment

Working...
              X