Top Of The Pops Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Of The Pops Albums

How many of us have ever collected these records? I don't mean the compilations from the TV show, I'm talking about a series of 92 albums that had popular songs of the time recorded by cover artists and released every 6 weeks from 1968 - 1982.

My mother bought me Volume 48 for my 5th birthday (which I've still got), and some of my relatives bought me subsequent albums. In my teens and 20's I managed to find some of them in second hand shops and record fairs and bought them.

The collectability of the albums mostly lies in the fact that they provided eye candy for the listener by featuring beautiful models on the front cover posing off with a billboard with all the songs listed in random order, and the back cover had witty hyperbole blurbs on it as to why the buyer should purchase said album.

As they were budget albums, the recording quality and musicianship of the songs tended to vary from absolutely brilliant at times, to absolutely awful depending on your point of view. They became much maligned in the early 80's when the public started to go off them and preferred to buy pop compilations by real arists and changing the chart positions so that imitation albums wouldn't make the charts in lieu of the real thing.

Most of the albums featured semi-famous 60's rocker Tony Rivers doing the lead vocals on the songs, as well as a few others like Elton John and Tina Charles who went onto greater fame in the 70's.

http://topofthepopslps.weebly.com/

Re: Top Of The Pops Albums

David Bowie did some sessions for covers albums early on.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Now its just called 'The X Factor'...karaoke covers but without the innocence!

Comment

i remember having one of those........the lp had the song 'because the night' sung by patti smith ........the lp's were always lacking that certain something as it was all budget stuff but on my pocket money they were just fine at the time.........funny thing is when i hear budget recorded songs in shops to day i cringe.

Comment

Never had them from new.Somehow I did end up with a large collection of them in the very early 80's.I was given them by one of our neighbours.The music was hit and miss,but those covers were really cool for a young man to have.There was that certain spark missing from many of the tracks on them.
          Still see these at times in several charity and second hand shops.

Comment

Before the top 40 charts was properly set up woolworths did a version using cover artists.It was listed on the official woolworths site including mp3s of some of there releases.
            sigpic

Comment

Woolworths were making budget covers in the 1950s & 60s.

My Dad was given a few bought by less than clued up friends & relatives, & were quickly passed on to my Aunt.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of the TOTP albums and have collected several. I also collect similar compilations such as 'Parade of Pops' (Chevron Records, and sold in Woolies). Another was Pye's albums called '12 Chartbusters'. In fact, there were dozens of cover albums, some shortlived some ran for a long time.

And I have been surprised and delighted at the sheer quality of the recordings. Dont let anyone ever tell you that they were all rubbish copies of the originals, in my experience many of the TOTP, Parade and Chartbusters albums did an excellent job of recreating the sound of the songs. Yes, some were ropey, but more often than not, the covers were good. A lot of the musicians were excellent session musicians and singers. And it shows.
                http://topofthepopslps.weebly.com/

http://www.easyontheeye.net/albums/totp/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_...(record_series)

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                  A lot of the musicians were excellent session musicians and singers. And it shows.
                  This is very true.
                  I have also picked up many of these compilations over the years.
                  You do occasionally get a wobbly version, but overall the musicianship is superb.

Comment

I've got a few TOTP's albums still in my collection,im not saying there good though

Comment

i have a few totp vinyl albums.
                      not 100 percent they did one for each year of the show.

dont know if they where all on vinyl thoough.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I kid you not but all these TOTP albums are available free on-line to stream on Spotify, complete with photos of the original front LP cover & dollybirds!

Comment

Working...
                        X