Merit marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merit marks

Trickyvee, re the house system. Ours worked as you'd hear kids in the class saying "get in" when someone in their house got a credit and weirdly some of the younger thugs being threatened by older thugs not to get debits. It wasn't only the clever or sporty kids that got credits aswell as the ssytem was split in three, work, effort and sport. Effort probably accounted for half the total score.

Comment

We had a merit mark system at senior school. The teachers would hand out paper tokens which were worth 1 merit. These were awarded for behaviour, effort, and high standard of class / home work. You had to carry that merit around until the next morning as the form teacher only collected merit marks during morning registration. When you hit 10 merit marks then you went up to get a certificate from the Head during assembly. I hated that walk and the phoney applause so much that I never handed in my merit marks again. I left school with an official count of 10 but the personal satisfaction of many more that I just didn't hand in. A better system would have been for the teachers to log the merits centrally but this was before computers were readily accessible. Anyhow, perhaps the intention was that we were expected to be responsible but I quickly found the loop-hole in the scheme. No animals were harmed and nobody died so I guess it was just me (and the fridge door at home that remained empty of achievements awards) who lost out on receipt of more certificates.

Comment

I got loads of these - the general at my First school in Secondary, was beg the Teachers for one!

MJy geography Teacher knew I liked Geography and we'd say to him "Mer Blah, Blah, Blah ... please do we deserve a merit" and he'd give them out like they was about to go out of style/like Confetti - though the bloke bless him was a guy who had zilch control over us v the mjore strident Subjects like English, Maths, Science - so he knew we was "easy" this way to please everyone generally and save a row etc! Bless him!

80sChav

Comment

Gold stars on a piece of card. Similar in a way to Sunday School at our local church where you won a bible lol
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

We were split into houses in primary and secondary school and competed as such on sports day. Kids followed elder siblings into the same house. At secondary school, our registration form was our house form for the first three years, but for lessons we split into streamed classes. We were given credits for good work, being helpful etc but I don't think it was a house-based competition, just the individual who got most credits who won something.

Comment

we had gold and silver stars and we also had four house groups in primary school. they were discovery, mayflower, victory and endeavour. i was in victory.

Comment

In comprehensive school, pupils were introduced to a system that was a bit collecting Green Shield Stamps - pupils had a card where the subject teacher would stamp it, and we would get a certain number depending on whether they did good work in class, turned up on time, behaved well, and other things. These were "Merits", and so many of them "afforded" pupils an award at the end of term or something. Some lad had pinched one teacher's stamper and repeatedly stamped his own card on the way home.

In Junior school, I got a gold star from the headmaster for spelling a word incorrectly. Well, actually, it was spelt incorrectly in English, but I spelt it correctly in French, and I didn't even know that until the teacher told me so. So they do say that you do learn from your mistakes after all.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I am certain n(or as certain as I can be) I stiull have some of mine!

Ours was made out of that awful shiney paper (like School Toilet Paper) then they photocopy it easireer for the Schools benefit/reference!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                  X