70's summers in Folkestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's summers in Folkestone

Although I am from Scotland I have relatives in London and Kent and I have great memories of holidays spent with relatives in Folkestone.

Day trips to France on sealink and Townsend Thoreson ferries (defunct I think, Dover being the nearest, probably seacat rather than boat).

Almost gauranteed sunny weather.

The sandy and pebble beaches.

The Rotunda amusements and mini boating pond (gone).

Tontine Street amusement arcades (gone I think).

Buying stuff in the old high street, and watching the rock being made (Rowlands rock shop gone).

And tons of other great stuff, beat that!

Anybody else remember Folkestone in the 70s?

Re: 70's summers in Folkestone

Yes been there too stayed with relatives all the things you mentioned have gone,the town is not the same went back last year.

The cliff railway is still around,the leese walk with flower beds zig zag walk still there.

The harbour with fishing boats more seagulls about than I can remmber from 1970s

Comment

Never went there but for some reason we went to Ramsgate once and went in the Wimpy.

Comment

Originally posted by willpurry View Post
        Never went there but for some reason we went to Ramsgate once and went in the Wimpy.
        Ha

Havent been to Ramsgate been to next door Margate dreamland fairground in 1973

Whitstable is nice fishing harbour fresh fish,oldy worldy shops pebbled beach

Comment

Working...
        X