Things you used to play on at the park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you used to play on at the park

Our playground was covered in that awful red ash/gravel/dirt/grit stuff. When you feel other it dyed your hands and knees red and stuck to all your grazes
    Foul stuff it was.

Oh and there was always a ditch/stroke hole under the swings and bottom of the slide where it had worn away, these always ended up filling with rain water.
    Your feet or even worse your bum would end up getting wet
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      Our playground was covered in that awful red ash/gravel/dirt/grit stuff. When you feel other it dyed your hands and knees red and stuck to all your grazes
      Foul stuff it was.

Oh and there was always a ditch/stroke hole under the swings and bottom of the slide where it had worn away, these always ended up filling with rain water.
      Your feet or even worse your bum would end up getting wet
      We had lots of concrete play structures on our concrete playground. Health and safety issues never came into it! Also remember the worn bits of grass with puddles - really bad at the end of a slide! Why were the end bits of slides never long enough? I always went booling off the end.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

one of my parls had a circular cycle track it was sloped at an angle all the way round.

its identical to the indoor track cycling tracks u see only the one i mean was a tarmac one.

it had swings,monkeybars slides as well..
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

One park I used to visit had a helicopter climbing frame that was quite good. It had ladders forming the blades which went down to the ground. That park also had a slide that I was too scared to go down because it looked huge. At least the height of a house I thought. Went back as an adult and it was tiny.

i also remember a few parks having a climbing frame that looked like a giant shuttlecock. Think of the net bits and a hole where the ball bit would be with ladders going up to the hole. Can anybody remember these?

Quick edit because I've found a photo! Apparently it was meant to be a space capsule!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	260185
          Last edited by Trickyvee; 30-12-2012, 20:00.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Loved the long rocking horse - many a banged head when you were going too fast!! The witches hat we used to stand up on - and some of the older kids used to run around chasing each other as it spun! We also had running barrels - a barrel with a metal frame, you stood on top of the barrel holding onto the frame and ran as fast as you could, sometimes having to lift your legs higher to stop yourself from being injured! was great fun !!

Comment

The park next to my old Middle School had a two or three storey slide that looked like a rocketship which is long gone and another park in my area has an old jet fighter plane covered in concrete.

Comment

Loved 'The Witches Hat'.........banned now I think.

Name:	witches.jpg
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	260188

Comment

Not so much a park, but when I was at primary school, we had a 1950s tractor (Ferguson TE20-style) next to the playground to play on. It had been painted a bright colour to attract us kids to it, not that we needed any encouragement as it was something of a novelty at the time. It probably wouldn't be allowed now on Health & Safety grounds.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Enjoyed the sandpit, see saws, swings and that spinning roundabout thing but I felt a bit dizzy afterwards and the slide and rocking horse. Also there was a park which I liked to call a secret park which you had to cross the railway line (it did have traffic lights) and it was hidden behind greenery).

Comment

In the 70's we had a proper park, with a concrete floor, metal bars etc and a roundabout with a footwell. We created a game, collect as many ice lolly sticks and spread them around the base of the roundabout, lie on the footwell, get some big kid to spin it as fast as possible then shout go and while holding on with one hand you had to pick up as many ice lolly sticks as possible. The winner naturally got the most and there were loads of occasions of kids losing there grip and being spilled out across the park.

I am now a burglar thanks to having no fingerprints on my left hand due to this game.

Comment

Ah yes the sandpit forgot about that mate.
                        and yes that rounabout thingy was great stuff.

i could play for hrs swinging on the swings i can just picture it now.
                        the park nearest me was right beside the river.

many sunny summer days i spent going down a big slide monkey bars where superb.

sadly its long gone.

sounds like great memories beach.

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
                        Enjoyed the sandpit, see saws, swings and that spinning roundabout thing but I felt a bit dizzy afterwards and the slide and rocking horse. Also there was a park which I liked to call a secret park which you had to cross the railway line (it did have traffic lights) and it was hidden behind greenery).
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

These pics are not my park but similar to what we use to have.
                          All the classic park equipment has gone now but we use to play on.

A classic style roundabout

Name:	park5.jpg
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	260194

Those of you that had one like this, did you ever lie down on the lower part and play a game where you dropped and picked up sticks?

We also had one of those five person rocking horses

Name:	park4.jpg
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	260195

We also had:
                          A large paddling pool, which in winter we would see if we could walk across the ice on top of it!
                          An old tractor
                          A very high slide, of course set in concrete (none of this H&S nonsense) of which I can remember ambulances coming out to pick up kids who had fallen off it!
                          Of course swings
                          A fort made which concrete blocks
                          Tunnels made with large concrete tubes.

It was a great park (and still is).
                          sigpic

Comment

I loved the round about see how fast we could go and try walk after lol great fun
                            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Paulos, we had that exact same roundabout, although ours was painted differently. It was always getting broken and graffitied on. The last time I was in that neck of the woods I went and looked at the park and the roundabout and swings were gone. We had a slide too, but that went sometime in the 80's as I believe kids were getting hurt too much on it.

I just had a look on google earth and it appears that the foundations for the swings are still there. The slide foundation looks visible from the aerial shots, I'm unable to tell if the grass just grew over that slab of tarmac. It was pretty broken up at the time, so this is plausible. The roundabout foundation looks like it's been reclaimed by nature too. It all looks a bit of a mess.

However, it does look like they've built something that looks like a basketball court just around the corner from it all. You know, because basketball was all the rage with the kids since never in the UK.

Comment

At school we had various concrete things to play on, including a thing we called 'the saddle'. The closest picture I can find to it is below but ours was quite a bit taller and made of thicker concrete. It had holes like the one shown, but two on each side of the front instead of one and then two more smaller holes next to the large holes. I thought it looked like a ghost! Even in those days the saddle was a bridge too far in the safety stakes as we weren't allowed to climb on top of it.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Trickyvee; 11-01-2013, 21:16.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X