Things you used to play on at the park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you used to play on at the park

Sorry if this has already been talked about. Did anyone have any particularly good or unique things at their local park that they used to play on? Before health and safety really kicked in, my playground at the park was built on concrete and the 'big' slide wasn't caged. All things that used to be there were taken away long ago and a new one built with less exciting things. I'm not sure if caged big slides even exist anymore?! Apart from that we had the old wooden roundabout and rocking horse. There was also a rocking boat that I loved and I think was pretty unique (I never saw one at any other park I went to anyway). It was basically a rocking horse but you sat in it facing opposite ways holding bars. : )

Re: Things you used to play on at the park

Yeah we had the big chute but ours was caged we pretended it was a tree house/den.
    There was also a spinning thing we called the witches hat, sort of a roundabout that had a cone climbing frame attached hence the name witches hat lol. which were everybody's two favorites items.
    We also had the usual- swings,slides,see-saw and roundabout.
    The witches hat and slide were taken away after rumoured accidents to be replace with baby items, small slide house and a blue whale climbing frame
    The see-saw was also ripped out but not replaced!
    Heather

Comment

hi smiles everything was unique before H and S kicked it.

we had a slide but it was huge very tall and steep must have been at least 6 metres long just a guess of course.

we had monkey bars and lots of swings.
      in a place i worked they had great things.

like a long wooden beam no more wide that say 4 inches.

a set of five long ropes with rings on them which u had to swing to one to the next.

we had one of those high and wide rope thingies you had to climb.

we also had a bridge made of rope on the sides the bit u walked on was wooden panels which moved all over the place as did the rope sides.idea was to get across without touching the ground.

there was also a very big slide.

kids plAyed there regular but when they did not the BIG KIDS CAME OUT TO PLAY.

me and the other fellas did it when raining.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I vaugely remember a witches hat at the big town park, think it was taken away when I was quite small. The big slide was good fun to try and climb up. At my nans local park there used to be a roundabout that you sat in and turned the disk in the middle to make it spin really fast, we used to make ourselves feel so dizzy and sick! : )

Comment

I think I found the reason why they did away with the roundabout.

Comment

You guys had wonderful things. In my local park, we had 3 swings - the kind with rusty chains to hold on to.
            A climbing frame that was dome-shaped. You'd climb up to the top and there was a circular hole in the top to drop through and graze your knees at get concussion as you hit the concrete floor.
            We also had a roundabout that had flaking lead paint on it.
            Oh happy days!

Comment

My park had probably the most unique play equipment of any park, a genuine steel boat, complete with mast and it's still there today. There was also some sewer pipes joined together to make a tunnel, swings and a set of monkey bars.

The park also doubled as a football pitch, bmx track or athletics track depending upon what we were playing. There was also a wooded hill next to it we played in too. It was only a small park but it provided years of fun
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                My park had probably the most unique play equipment of any park, a genuine steel boat, complete with mast and it's still there today. There was also some sewer pipes joined together to make a tunnel, swings and a set of monkey bars.
                Down on a promenade near Whitley Bay there was a boat climbing frame shaped like a galleon with masts etc. There were also a couple of banana slides built into the cliffs, with concrete at the end for you to land on of course!

I always wonder exactly when Witches hats were taken away. I'm sure they were the subject of a H&S national ban after too many people came a cropper on them. I never went on one because I was too small but remember watching older kids on them.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	witch's hat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	260079

Random pic of the day. Showaddywaddy on a Witches hat!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Wow great to see a witches hat again.

Another local park had the big plastic pipe tunnels and one that run through a hill, no one would go in though as rumor had it kids pee'd in there
                    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                      Another local park had the big plastic pipe tunnels and one that run through a hill, no one would go in though as rumor had it kids pee'd in there
                      Kids (including yours truly) did pee in ours, it didn't stop us going in (after it'd dried up obviously), never did us any harm

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        I always wonder exactly when Witches hats were taken away. I'm sure they were the subject of a H&S national ban after too many people came a cropper on them. I never went on one because I was too small but remember watching older kids on them.
                        I'm sure it was sometime in the 90's, another local park had one and i think I recall it being there until the 90's, it was definitely still there n the late 80's as I remember drunkenly swinging on it as a teen.

Comment

As a child my dad was serving the the raf ......we lived in a married quarter and used many of the facilities provided by the mod.......every estate had playing greens and huge play parks with swings, climbing frames, slides, bars, hopscotches, roundabouts, benches.......we didn't know how lucky we were

Comment

Our park had swings (with chains that regularly used to be thrown over the top rail to make the swing higher) two see-saws, a spiders web roundabout (that went very fast) and another (slower) roundabout that was very solid looking. Aneka Rice came and "improved" it in the 90s. The concrete paddling pool was made into a skateboard arena and rubbery stuff was put under far safer (and far more boring) play equipment. It all needed repairing after a few months had passed.
                            "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Back in the 70's our park would of been a h&s nightmare.Big concrete tunnels,a slide made of metal and in the shape of an elephant.One kid got his head stuck in the top bars and had to be cut out by the fire brigade.Did they take it away after that? did they hell they just welded on some more bars to make the gaps smaller lol.And ofcourse there was none of that padded floor rubbish.Concrete covered in tarmac for us lol

Comment

Working...
                              X