School yard games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School yard games

we used to play PEGS basically you made goal post against a wall with wooden pegs and the aim was to knock the pegs over with a tennis ball standing from 6ft away and you where in two teams .Once you had knocked the pegs over you had to run away before the other team hit you with the tennis ball the aim was to get back to the pegs and put them up again befour all your team got hit out with the ball.Anyone else heard of that game or was it summet we just played in sheffield,KICKCAN was anouther favourite there was allways a empty can around.FIREBALL basically u stood still and let a person throw a ball at you sounds stupid lol but i have great memorys of playtime at school and the summer holidays.

Comment

We used to do 'knives. forks, spoons, spears' not as dangerous as it sounds! When it had been chanted, everyone had to do a handstand, and the longest one up, won the game. We did all the usual oranges and lemons, skipping, two ball, Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-i-o, Crocodile crocodile and most of the others that have already been mentioned.

Comment

We used to play Poker dice and also the "nearest the wall with a 10p" game.

all very profitable as a youngster with a tuck shop habit to maintain :-)

Comment

Par Football - it was Hobscotch with "chalked in noughts and crosses" at Primary , though not at Secondary,... which was Football all the way (if any game or) generally we'd just talk more i seem to recall and r-collect

80sChav

Comment

Kiss chase lol
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
              Kiss chase lol
              We cvalled that Tag, but you could not Tag after being Taged/or Tag someone in a Tag or similar I recall

Comment

In the late 70s there was a game which many in my year group played, in which a ball is kicked around; if someone catches tge ball then he would get kicked by the students around him. I and a few others were wise not to take park in such activities. Then one day a ball was veering toward my face so I caught it. Suddenly, a large group of boys started laughing and running in my direction. I realised what I'd just done and ran. I jumped high up onto a caged fence and began climbing, but I was dragged down and kicked. Painful, but lived to tell the tale.

Comment

We used to play Slam. All you needed was a football and a narrow wall. Kick the ball hard against the wall and the next person had to chase the ball and kick it against the wall. If you missed the wall you were out and you couldn't stop the ball, you had to hit it while it was still in motion. We played it using the wall of the old toilet block.

Another game was with players standing in a line. Someone asks a question and says "Go" and the players run to a wall, touch it and run back to who asked the question and give the answer. If you were first and got the answer correct you became questionmaster. Can't remember what we called the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                    In the late 70s there was a game which many in my year group played, in which a ball is kicked around; if someone catches tge ball then he would get kicked by the students around him. I and a few others were wise not to take park in such activities. Then one day a ball was veering toward my face so I caught it. Suddenly, a large group of boys started laughing and running in my direction. I realised what I'd just done and ran. I jumped high up onto a caged fence and began climbing, but I was dragged down and kicked. Painful, but lived to tell the tale.

This sounds similar (or seems as if it reprersents British Bull-Dog) of the 1990s I am thinking

80sChav

Comment

Kids used to use the metal grates on the floor to play marbles with - who on earth would find something like a metal grate so interesting? I had an old Nesquik tin of marbles myself. Marbles were the semi-official currency of the school playground back then.

Also, Dobby Off Ground (which says a lot about the "there and then", not to mention the "where and when" of regional differences in late 1980s school playgrounds).
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Not quite a game as such, but occasionally when we (as kids) were in the playground, and the infamous Infant school gate was ajar (cf my other thread), if a man walking his dog was passing by in the street outside, the dog (at least once) managed to run away from its owner and squeeze through the space in the gate into the main playground. "It's doggy time" someone in the playground shouted, and we almost had a game with the animal while its owner was trying to call it back out again, which it eventually did.

Or occasionally if a football went over the fence into the street, we got it ourselves or hoped that someone would through it back into the playground.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A few days ago it was reported heading footballs could develop result in brain damage later in life
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

We had a few ..

You made two sets of goals with 4 jumpers . Each set was about 3 yards from the other and you had one person stood in each goal and tried to score with a header . You threw the ball up high for your header .

We also played split the kipper but not on the school grounds as it was done using a knife of some kind ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

back in the 1940's, my school days, we were a tough lot, we played "Dodging the bombs", "Conkers" only we played by hitting the other guy on the head with our conker, for Halloween we played "Bobbing for chips" like "Bobbing for Apples" only one had to pick up the chips out of the hot fat, with our mouth, we was a tough lot in a rough area, if you saw a dog with both ears he was a visitor, even the police cars went around in pairs.
                              I went a very good school, not just anyone could go there, you had to be sent by a judge or a magistrate.
                              Oh yes football, we didn't use jumpers for goal posts, we used the smallest kids, we nailed their feet to the ground, at parties we played "Pass the parcel" With a hand-grenade, to make it more interesting, we would pull out the pin.
                              I talk to myself much more these days I've found,
                              half way up the stairs I stop and frown,
                              what was I going to get? and have I got it yet?
                              and what's more, was I going up, or coming down?

Comment

Originally posted by Istvan View Post
                                back in the 1940's, my school days, we were a tough lot, we played "Dodging the bombs", "Conkers" only we played by hitting the other guy on the head with our conker, for Halloween we played "Bobbing for chips" like "Bobbing for Apples" only one had to pick up the chips out of the hot fat, with our mouth, we was a tough lot in a rough area, if you saw a dog with both ears he was a visitor, even the police cars went around in pairs.
                                I went a very good school, not just anyone could go there, you had to be sent by a judge or a magistrate.
                                Oh yes football, we didn't use jumpers for goal posts, we used the smallest kids, we nailed their feet to the ground, at parties we played "Pass the parcel" With a hand-grenade, to make it more interesting, we would pull out the pin.
                                In the seventies when we used to play conkers if it was your mate we used to deliberately hit them on their hand or knuckles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X