School yard games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School yard games

My school playground had quite a slope to it so we used to rollerskate down it all holding onto each other snake like which was great fun until one kid on the end of the snake chickened out half way down and let go then careered into the wall at the bottom at great speed ending in lots of blood and broken bones.

It was banned after that

Comment

We used to play Killer which involved standing against a wall and someone throwing a tennis ball as hard as they could at you,Rin tin tin which is similar to hide and seek but you had to touch the lampost when you spotted somebody,Jailbreak similar again but one team hid and the other chased and if you got caught you had to stand in a make shift cell untill you were rescued.
      I remember during the summer we were allowed on the field to play and if the grass had just been cut all the girls used to make big grass rings like nests untill the boys came and kicked it apart or shoved dry grass down their backs.

Comment

Originally posted by dunstall
        i remember the girls used to play jaks,

we played war, walley (a football version of squash), knifey, allys, 2pence against a wall, not mention the iron maiden to new 1st year kids.
        we called that 'spot'
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by koukou View Post
          No seems to have remembered kiss chase!!!!

Skipping was also a favourite.

There was one called What's The Time Mr Wolf. Where you had to try and get up to a kid at the other end of the playround when he had his back turned. If he saw you then you had to go back to the beginnning.
          Originally posted by foxy View Post
          talking bout playground games,what about british bulldog,where there were loads of kids and u called one to run to the otherside of playground and if he made it the others ran,but if you caught him you were both on and had to call someone else until they made it across.
          Also the old classic,piggy back fighting
          My better half played a combination of kiss chase and bulldog called I think bullsnog!

We did skipping and french skipping (french elastic with levels starting at the ankles and going to necksies as well as wider)
          Sevensies which involved seven different routines with a ball up the wall.
          Those clapping rhymes like "When Suzie"
          We had hopscotch marked out on the playground.
          We played on the jungle gym on the field.
          The boys played marbles.
          We played gobs (otherwise Cobs or five stones)
          One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Oops what about conkers (boys)
            cats cradle and finger knitting for the girls
            and those flipping paper mouths with numbers and colours on that you had to pick to find answer to a qusetion or insult.
            One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

My secondary school, which I attended September 1983 to June 1990, had a tradition of the game "Squares".

The first few days of my very first term there September 1983 (first form, i.e. year 7 in today's speak) some of the older years introduced my form to the game. As we moved up the School, each year's newcomers learned the game.

There was a large concrete area in the main school ground divided by bricks into squares. That's where pupils tended to go to play the game lunchtimes. However they'd do it in other parts of the school premises, including boarding house grounds (it was a boarding school) by chalking in divisions if need be. Several people would play a game, one person a square. They had to bounce a tennis ball to one another. Basically that's the gist of it I could see from passing by other peoples' games, I never joined in in the 7 years I was there, so never learned its rules.

I guess it's still being played there from when I left to this day. I'd love to know if it was peculiar to my school, or if any other schools elsewhere did a similar game.
              I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

YouTube - The Adventure Game - The Vortex
                we somehow played this as a game.

and we didnt play it in the school yard, but "light as a feather, heavy as a rock" (where you levitate people) was a big sleepover party favourite.
                Last edited by britishbaby; 27-05-2009, 01:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozza View Post
                  Does anyone remember playing the game with a penknife where you had to stick it in the ground and the other person had to stretch their legs to it? Can't belive we were allowed to take them into school!!!! How times have changed!!!
                  'Splits' i think we called it. Also another version where you started out with your legs wide and then shortened them to where the penknife stuck. We also had a version of British Bulldog but played in a gym or hall ... 2 teams and you had to get a beanbag (small one) from your end to the other end ... with no rules ... Murder Ball i think it was called ...

Comment

We called the penknife game 'stretch'.
                    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Did anyone play these games i used to love them, i still play patball and foursquares with my nephew in the garden!!

Patball
                      Foursquares
                      Kerbsie
                      Feet off London
                      40 40 Home
                      Runouts
                      Danish Longball

Comment

When I was at school I had several fav games, here are a few:-
                        Two Ball - tennis balls juggled against a wall & in the air in various ways. There must have been lots of variations as we counted to twenty. e.g No.1 would be 2 balls thrown at the wall underarm & caught one after the other once. No.2 would be two balls thrown at the wall & caught one after the other one underarm throw and one overarm throw, to be done twice. No.3 was one in the air and one underarm at the wall 3 times and on it would go all the way to 20. Some involved under leg throws, bounce throws, hand clapping & twizzling round whilst the balls bounced off the wall before catching it.
                        Leap Frog. Hopscotch. Marbles (in the drains), May I, Elastics, Simon Says, Stuck in the mud. Kiss chase, British Bull Dog, A skipping gadget with a loop one end of a length of fine rope/thick cord and a tennis ball the other (might have been called ankle skipping) hand clapping games & of course skipping, shared skipping (two in one rope) & jump rope skipping (when two or four people turned one or two jump ropes.) There were two main rhymes that we used the jump rope to. One was Nebba K'Nebba King of the Jews, bought his wife a pair of shoes. When the shoes began to wear Nebba K'Nebba began to swear. When the swearing began to stop Nebba K'Nebba bought a shop. When the shop began to sell. Nebba K'Nebba bought a bell. When the bell began to ring, Nebba K'Nebba began to sing, 1,2,3,4,5......... & on it went, as we counted the ropes turned faster & the one that did the most jumps was the best.
                        The other rhyme had 'seashells, cockleshells, evy, ivy, over' in it but I can't remember the rest other than the rope was just swayed to jump over to start with, then on the word 'over' the rope went over you're head and you started to skip properly.
                        Does anyone know the rest of the rhyme?

Comment

oooh! what about Postmans Knock? in those halcion days where we would all play together, girls & boys would sit in a circle (cross knee's) & one would have a slip of paper & would walk around the circle on the outside, whilst the others would sing...."I sent a letter to my love & on the way I dropped it, one of you must have picked it up & put it in your pocket, was it you? was it you? & so on for three guesses, by this time, the person walking outside the circle would have placed the note into someones pocket, if that person was found, they had to forfeit the person on the outside a kiss.....thats why all the girls would give the note to a guy & the guys would (run like mad) give the note to a girl they liked...oooh! it was fun!

totally forgot about whats the time mr fox but yep, I remember that too! such nice games we played in those days!

Katieloo

Comment

Hide and seek
                            Hopscotch
                            Touch
                            Chinese Skipping
                            Ordinary skipping

Comment

Hot rice ... kick out can ...

Comment

We played with elastics,skipping tig,robots or Daleks.

Stick in the mud sounds like tunnel tig.

What else,Whats the time Mr Wolf,names of and several circle games which I don't know the name of.

Can't think on anything else.

tulip

Comment

Working...
                                X