School yard games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What did you do in the playground?

In the last year of primary school you could sometimes get out of going outside if you offered to tidy the classroom or sand paper the desks. We had those ancient flip top desks with an ink well and they had decades of biro scrawl and names etched into them. Actually at one stage everybody got quite neurotic and competitive about having a beautifully sanded desk. It was a heck of a job and yet even the naughty kids gave it some welly.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

One of the things I did in the Juniors was swap beads during playtime with a few of the girls. Anyone else do this?
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I remember one time my friend and I decided it should have a duck pond, but the only way we could get water there was to repeatedly fill our mouths at the drinking fountain and then spit it out at the farm! Disgusting but we did it lol.
        I love this!! The ingenuity of children
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

We used to play "fun fair" at our school which basically involved imitating rides. E.g. For a rollercoaster we'd hold hands in a long chain and run up down hills or for the waltzer 2 kids would face either way, hold hands and spin in a circle. We only occasionally injured ourselves.
          We also played "Bulldog" a lot, which was basically running across the playground in a big group with someone in the centre of the playground trying to catch you.

Comment

yes i was always picked last for games thats why i never plated them.
            never nice being the last to be picked.

did u go out with any of those girls techno.
            3 girls asking u out how lucky.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

In Primary school I remember playing skipping games, manhunt, what's the time mr wolf. We sometimes made up 'plays' to act out in the classrooms, swapped stickers and beads. I remember playing 'Star Wars' in Primary 1 or 2, but was never really that familiar with the film back then. We also had a small climbing frame with monkey bars, set of concrete stepping stones - which were removed when someone split their head open on them. Or we'd just walk round the school or leap-frog round. My daughter now goes to my old primary and they've recently had alot of wooden play equipment put in - see-saws, hurdles, monkey bars etc.

Comment

Or worse still not even picked too hey Darren/
                Originally posted by darren View Post
                yes i was always picked last for games thats why i never plated them.
                never nice being the last to be picked.

did u go out with any of those girls techno.
                3 girls asking u out how lucky.

Or worse still not even picked hey Darren?

Comment

Kissing all of the girls and they used to hugged and kissed me back. but the headteacher aways said no kissing in the playground please and i always take no notice of them
                  i always said i don't care shove it up your ****, i was the stud muffin of the school all of the boys used to be so jelous of me mostly because i got the fit ones but still i hav'nt got a girlfreind even now i aint got one :cry:.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Skipping was a big thing in the playground along with all the rhymes that went with them

Comment

At primary school I spent many playtimes and lunchtimes sat against a big old tree that had a huge dark hole in it's trunk.........I felt quite sad when I visited the school a few years ago........all there was, was a large stump

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusescrazy View Post
                        Kissing all of the girls and they used to hugged and kissed me back. but the headteacher aways said no kissing in the playground please and i always take no notice of them
                        i always said i don't care shove it up your ****, i was the stud muffin of the school all of the boys used to be so jelous of me mostly because i got the fit ones but still i hav'nt got a girlfreind even now i aint got one :cry:.
                        You do crack me up OTBC...your 15 so your still in school matey...

We had climbing frames at my Primary School - made of metal, long gone now. There was a red rounded one, a green rectangular one and a blue one - may have been triangular - I once slipped, fell off and bumped my head on the green one when my Mum or Dad came to pick me up from school - I saw them walking toward me and got distracted I think...Mum used a damp cloth heated against a warmed electric coil on the cooker to put on my bump which was large to make the pain go away - Sri Lankans seem to do the inverse, I know many people use ice packs on bumps or a cold raw steak...lol.

We also had large tricycles and bicycles and I'd lend a hand riding them back into the storage shed at the rear of the playground - my old man would remind me from time to time of me doing that and he'd be watching and waiting to come over and take me from Primary School back home. It was usually on lovely warm summery days we used to have that we got to ride and play on the bikes and trikes - lovely models we had too. There was one which was metallic blue with white rimmed wheels...I used to play with the other boys, just running around, one time I bought a Merit Chemistry set and we mucked about with the powders and poured it down a West Indian kids mouth like we were experimenting! He didn't swallow any, he just coughed it out sharpish! Another time a kid called Andy dared me to slap Mr Eastwood on the back of his head as he was sat outside on one of those gym benches that are long and wooden, there was enough space to get behind him carefully - and BAM! Then we scarpered sharpish! We were never caught funnily enough....must have been 4 or 5...Eastwood was known as 'Egghead Eastwood' (name filtered from the bigger kids around the school) as he had a bald head and greasey combover...nice bloke though.

The school used to take us to the local parks on specially hired double decker buses too. We'd lark about all day it would seem. One time, they took us to Bournmouth. It was okay, even then I was aware if I didn't like something...lol. Andy swopped my Corgi Mercedes I'd bought down there for his Fiar Abarth Rally Car. He purposely wrecked the roof on my Merc by scratching it against the tarmac'd ground to not give it back....the little s-d...! Even now I regret that swop...

My Primary days were some of the best of my life all in all....larking about, every day seemed to be 'bring in toys day'. My neighbour, Dom even went to my Primary - he remembers my Sister being there too and a while back we chatted about the place...If theres one set of memories I miss its those days, life seemed so perfect.

Comment

I never really played football, it was popular but I never got into it. We used to play tigs, bulldog or off ground tigs. Every so often we'd be allowed to play with the toys in the hut, which used to be beanbags, balls, stilts and hula hoops. Sometimes we'd even be allowed these out on the big playing field, although mostly they were consigned to the school yard.

Whenever it was frosty we'd make skid pans all over the school yard, all the kids would line up and skid down them. Of course, at dinner time play only a few prime locations of frost still survived from the sun. Sometimes you'd only get a few slides before being called in.

Whenever the grass on the field was cut we'd bundle it all up and make 'houses' to play in. Each group would have their own house which used to be built on as the week went on. Sometimes we'd sabotage each others houses, mainly because we were kids and kids like to cause misery like that just because they can.

We also had a nature trail running on the outskirts of the playing field, although I never used it for its proper purpose, I used to run up and down it as fast as my legs could carry me.

Comment

I remember when they first installed these two concrete sewer pipe sections in the playground of our elementary school it became a big hit. The most coveted place to be was sitting on top of the pipe and for some strange reason I seem to recall that the pipe section at the north end of the schoolyard was more prestigious. It's funny the notions one had as a kid. And then we had playground supervisors who were usually elderly ladies, though sometimes the teachers drew that duty as well. One of the playground supervisors was named Kay and I'm rather ashamed to admit it but back then we used to call her "If You See Kay."

Comment

'If You See Kay'? How's that work Victor ol' chap?

Speaking of footie - never got into it. Never have even now. I was also last to be picked at football, Rugby, Rounders, Netball in P.E. too like a few others mentioned so it just added to my disinterest of sport...in a sense I'm glad of it - many men are into it - maybe even to prove they're 'part of it all' so to speak...I'd rather retain my individuality...

Tigs? We used to call it...'IT' i.e. off ground it etc...we also played Manhunt, two teams - hunters and hunted and we used certain areas as prisons for the captured and the hunted would also try to free prisoners by slapping their outstretched hands if we came near the prisons...we also used to 'bundle' some unsuspecting sap - someone would knee behind them and someone else would push them over or trip them over the crouching/kneeling boy and shout BUNDLE! And everyone would jump atop them like a heap of kids...and squash the kid underneath...was quite funny on hot summery days when we were let on the grassy areas at secondary school that is...

At Primary School back in the early 80's there were those 'air balls', plastic balls with holes in them, apparently they moved faster because of it someone told me all those years ago... and the bigger kids would play football in the playgrounds - lots of little matches between the differing years - no inter - year matches though...I hated it. Was hard to get across the playground for fear of getting hit by the ball...! Even in secondary school I hated walking across the grounds when the others were kicking balls around - some would purposely boot it full force at you...grrr.

Comment

Also in middle school during lunch we would sometimes play "No Bounds" football which would start out as normal but in the course of play we would accidentally on purpose drift off the field and play wherever the ball took us -- through the quad area, etc, and then we would eventually make our way back to the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X