Marine boy and Kum Kum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine boy and Kum Kum.

Hi all.Marine Boy and Kum Kum were my first true tastes of anime way back in the 70's.These cartoons were vastly diffrent from any other cartoon back then and stood out like a sore thumb as something good and exciting to watch.Parants hated them,but the reason is still not known to me.Could they have had a preference for American toons me thinks?.

I am wondering if these two anime have been generally released on DVD in the UK yet,and if they have where could I find copys(At a reasonable price.....and quality of image).

Re: Marine boy and Kum Kum.

Well it won't surprise you to know I am a fan, battyrat

Plenty on YT and DailyMotion but nothing on DVD as far as I am aware.

Comment

Comment

I have seen some of the u-tube pieces and wondered where they came from.Not had a look at daily motion as yet.Will have to have a look there tonight.

It really surprises me that such an important anime as Marine boy in the UK has not found it's way onto DVD at some time or other.It was probably our first true taste of what was to come from Japan.It really formed a big part of my childhood all those years ago.I would be just as happy with a japanease dvd with english subs of it.Any idea if it was released on VHS.

Kum Kum was a charming little anime which centered around a cave boy and his friends.Released through Paramount and shown on TV sometime in the late 70's.This was a cartoon I really missed when it was no longer shown on TV.Some times just sometimes I wish I was a kid again so that I could at least watch these programs just one more time.

Comment

I can't recall if it was YT or DM that had all the Marine Boy episodes up. But just checking now, DM has nothing an YT just odd episodes and clips.

I've looked at some Kum Kum clips and don't seem to recall it at all I'm afraid.

Comment

I do not remember Kum Kum at all but i know Marine Boy.What was his gf's name again? Clee Clee? Something like that,anyhow.....Marine Boy was repeated not all that long ago here in Australia.I thought about recording some for my nephew but i don't think i ever did.

Comment

I had a good look around again and found a company in the US that has both of these anime in sets.I was rather shocked at the price..well over $140 for the marine boy one.Postage will be quite expensive too at another $2.00 per disc on top of their normal internal US postage prices.It came as quite a bit of a shock what they were asking for them.
              The marine boy set has 15 discs to it.It's way too expensive for my pockets.The Kum Kum set is not much cheaper either.

They seem to think that both of these anime are in the public domain but they don't seem old enough for that at the moment.

I suppose I may just end up waiting for a UK release.

Comment

Those dvds must be getting pretty rare for them to charge that much.

Comment

I think it's all to do with the nostalgia market at the moment.Many shows that are seen as rare or hard to get always sell for big money.I recently brought a deleted network dvd of a childrens drama of the mid 70's for more then the price was 6 months ago directly from the company itself.I think it's just a few of us that really desire these things and those people that have them can ask pretty much what they like for them as there is always someone somewhere willing to pay for it where money is no real objective.

The dvd's I mentioned are plain dvd's.For nice laser printed discs it will cost extra yet again.The company I am talking about is the 8store.

Comment

You sre right. How come it is legal to do that with dvds etc but if you buy a ticket to a sporting event,wait till the tickets are sold out and then sel yours for a profit you can be charged with "scalping"?

Comment

With us its more a case of supply and demand.It's simply an opening in the market that they are exploiting althow in this case for a lot of money.No other company seems to have these two early anime at the moment.I often wonder if cheaper dvd's would equal more sales for them in the long run or they are trying to feed the habbits of a slightly more up market clientel.Still I expect now that I know they are out there to be had it will eat me up untill sometime in the future I will find it hard from holding back from buying them.It depends on the exchange rate at the time between dollars and pounds that will be the deciding factor for me.At the moment it's not too bad but ideally it needs to be about $2.00 to the pound for it to become viable and half the price of the Marine boy set.

Comment

Working...
                      X