Rock and Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock and Chips

I hope i've picked the right category? Does any other members like Rock and Chips (The Only Fools and Horses Spin Off/Prequel). though it is set in the 60s like Heartbet was I think it offers a truly authentic feel to the era, not as I was born then, but I think it captures it great. Admitted I found it slow and it took me two attempts or so to start to like it even if it still was slow, I saw the merits of it shining through as time went on and can glasp what the late John Sullivan was trying to captivate to the audiance.

I wonder if one day, anyone may help continue John's work and we might have a 70s version of Rock and Chips that leads up to 1981 and the start of Only Fools and Horses. It might be tricky cast wise but it could easily happen I fee/think Cast-wise. I'd sure love tosee such a Series without doubt, though i'm now unsure it could ever happen. Sorry again if I have put this in the wrong catergory as though it's a 1960s set Programme I felt it was not truly tropiucal to put in the TV Catergory as it's not a by-gone Series as such.

80sChav

Re: Rock and Chips

I liked it. Its sad though as we all know how Dels Mum and other members of the family either go or die and he's left with Rodney to bring up alone. But its nice seeing the past and how Freddie The Frog actually did care for Del and Rods Mum.

Comment

I loved these Rip John Sullivan

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        I hope i've picked the right category? Does any other members like Rock and Chips (The Only Fools and Horses Spin Off/Prequel). though it is set in the 60s like Heartbet was I think it offers a truly authentic feel to the era, not as I was born then, but I think it captures it great. Admitted I found it slow and it took me two attempts or so to start to like it even if it still was slow, I saw the merits of it shining through as time went on and can glasp what the late John Sullivan was trying to captivate to the audiance.

I wonder if one day, anyone may help continue John's work and we might have a 70s version of Rock and Chips that leads up to 1981 and the start of Only Fools and Horses. It might be tricky cast wise but it could easily happen I fee/think Cast-wise. I'd sure love tosee such a Series without doubt, though i'm now unsure it could ever happen. Sorry again if I have put this in the wrong catergory as though it's a 1960s set Programme I felt it was not truly tropiucal to put in the TV Catergory as it's not a by-gone Series as such.

80sChav
        i run the only fools and horses appreciation society web site as well as a nostalgic web site similar to this one
        so for me rock and chips was outstanding
        Sadly just as the characters really got going we lost the great genius John Sullivan
        What was worse was he had agreed to write a complete series
        of course many OFAH fans will know that Freddie the frog has plenty of references in ofah episodes
        There were many connections that john put in for the fans
        a poster either Lovely Jubbly on which would of added to Del boys lingo in later life
        it was a beautiful authentic production that had a lot of mileage

John had a son Jim whom was a joint twitter on several green green grass episodes
        Whether he could ever pick up his fathers scripts remains to be seen
        ofah.net and skooldays.com

Comment

It was a great completiopn of a project I think Skooldays with Rock and Chips. Though I know a similar serires was made years since, it still made most thing's compleat I think (par unless anyone decided to take on a 70s Series that continued John's amazing work). I think the casting for Rock and Chips was done to near perfection too, which must of been no easy task what-soever I think.

80sChav

Comment

ill be honest ive never heard of rock and chips.
            but as john sullivan did it id think it good.
            how long did it run for, who did ut star.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

80sChav
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Charles
              I liked it. Its sad though as we all know how Dels Mum and other members of the family either go or die and he's left with Rodney to bring up alone. But its nice seeing the past and how Freddie The Frog actually did care for Del and Rods Mum
              Q.E.D. - This links perfectly with the 'newbies cut/pasting what others have said...' I said the exact same thing in post 2....

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              I liked it. Its sad though as we all know how Dels Mum and other members of the family either go or die and he's left with Rodney to bring up alone. But its nice seeing the past and how Freddie The Frog actually did care for Del and Rods Mum.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                ill be honest ive never heard of rock and chips.
                but as john sullivan did it id think it good.
                how long did it run for, who did ut star.
                It only had 3 episodes
                Phil Daniels from blur played grandad
                Del boy was played by inbetweeners star
                Nick lyndhurst played rodneys father Freddie robdal
                while Mel Smith played a detective

Comment

I quite enjoyed this. But I thought the casting went from inspired to dreadful.

Comment

cheers mte.
                    no wonder i do not remembe it with just 3 eps.

Originally posted by skooldays View Post
                    It only had 3 episodes
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by skooldays View Post
                      It only had 3 episodes

Phil Daniels was not in Blur, he just narrated the track " parklife ", he is an actor best known as Jimmy in " Quadrophenia", also in "Scum". The sitcom " Time Gentleman Please" and for his sins Kevin Wicks from Eastenders

The inbetweeners star was James Buckley who was the character Jay
                      WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

I have watched Rock and Chips again recently and as much as I like it, i've often struggled to accept the relativley short time spell from whichever year it was set. As well i'm not truly certain how much I can accept that Del's Mother was like she was portrayed in these episodes - mixed in too that Nic Lyndhurst played the part of his own Dad which as much as Nickn gave a convincing performance i'm not sure how true that this was really the Freddie "the Frogg" we had been lead to believe.

I truly admired James Buckley in this as the young Del Boy and the guy who played a young Denzil was truly convincing in the part, though i'm struggling to recall if there were a young Boycie and a young Trigger, which I can not totally recall.

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                        X