Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secondary School - first day

Default Re: Secondary School - first day

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    My school had a red week and a blue week, & in 1 or 2 years there was an odd day where all the periods were 5 minutes shorter so there were 7 in a day.

The bells had a different ring on those days just to add to the confusion.

My school had 2 buildings which meant some days had a lot of walking between them.
    I remember there were five 1 hour lessons per day when I first started but then it changed to 50 min lessons in 3rd year, with an extra one squeezed in each day. Two bell rings for lesson change, one bell ring for the janitor, multiple short rings for something or other, continuous ring get the hell out!
    1976 Vintage

how confusing richard.

all our periods where 35 mins long for the time i was there no red or blue week or different sounding bells on different days.

i found it hard enough finding my way without that confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    My school had a red week and a blue week, & in 1 or 2 years there was an odd day where all the periods were 5 minutes shorter so there were 7 in a day.

The bells had a different ring on those days just to add to the confusion.

My school had 2 buildings which meant some days had a lot of walking between them.

I also recall receieving - I don't know if anyone else had a similar booklet, a booklet on the school too and still have this now (though it is held together by thread and the paper has nearly fallen apart), this was one of the best thing's (if not the best, par learning to have to look for yourself or suffer the repercuisions)

It is a great book this (I may try and scan it for here one day, if anyone was interested but minus the School's name etc). It had a brilliant amount of information and somehow though I hated the place with a minumal tnge of appreciation, I will always have time for it and never ever bin it. A real gem from the past, but how the string that threads through the priniting paper it was made on, before Computers took over such a mantle from a Typwriter - this is amzing how it still stay's together I think.

80sChav

Before we actually started secondary school, we attended secondary school for a two day trial/introduction in July just before the school summer holidays. I can't remember much about it except that the was some banter between us boys and the female prefect who was assigned to watch over us during break, lunch time and walking between classrooms and buildings between lessons. The school seemed to be OK then.

Come the glorious September morning....

Getting up from bed wasn't the big problem, it was wearing that blasted uniform for the first time. New shoes, trousers, shirt, V-neck pullover, it all felt uncomfortable added with the choker, sorry, tie. I had dictated earlier that I had no intention of wearing it.

My mother's dictating was far stronger than mine!

I walked to school with a friend who lived two doors away. He was a year older than me. I think I moaned all the way into the school yard. We already knew where our registration room was. There was no problem, and we had already met our form teacher. I don't think we had assembly that morning, has I remember her explaining things to us, and making sure our emergency contact details were all correct.

Then to our first lesson, P.E.

I have never been keen on this, has I have never really been interested in sport. I decided I would put some enthusiasm into it. My thoughts were, A NEW SCHOOL! GIVE IT SOME ENTHUSIASM! On with the P.E. kit. Outside we were told to rune twice around the yard. This I did with some enthusiasm. Then.....

Into three teams....Six-a-side football. A game I detest with total hatred. I can't remember much other than walking around in some direction to the action. The ball came towards me so I gave it a kick...over somebodies head. The teacher blew his whistle...followed by a lecture about not kicking the ball up in the air when there was only six on each side. Each game would only last for so many minutes has there were three teams. Back playing the teacher shouted to me to "GET IN ON THE ACTION!" I ran towards where four boys were tackling the ball. The ball again came towards me, I ran forward and kicked it towards the goal...The whistle was blown again. "YOU WERE OVER THAT LINE!" He yelled at me again. I did very little for the rest of the lesson.

I was a little peeved off but a couple of minutes into break, I decided I would forget about it.

After break, was the French lesson. Nobody else had any knowledge of this, so we were all in the same boat. Again we entered the room with tremendous enthusiasm........That's when I first came face to face with the little runt, Mr Phipps. I can't remember much about what we wrote in our exercise books, it was more of his dictating. How much homework we would be given. Detentions were freely given for not doing homework. He openly admitted he was a disciplinarian. A text book was given to each of us. This had to be covered with paper. Anybody who did not cover it, would be given a text book with pages that were falling out and covers falling off. He admitted he did not care if the parents complained, that would be that. It turned out to be a long lesson. One hour and ten minutes seemed like an eternity.

I can't remember anything about the lunch time or the afternoon, but I do remember about arriving home.

My grandmother was living with us at the time. She asked what it was like. I put a brave face on and said it was quite good. Looking back, I wish I had told her I hated the place. Evan by the first Christmas, I had made my mind up I would leave at the end of the fifth year regardless of any qualifications.

Has a footnote, I rarely see anybody I was in secondary school with. Recently I bumped in to somebody who was in school with me. The conversation came up about that school. Like me, that person mentioned that first French lesson and the impact it had.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

big kid Guest

on the first day of secondary school, a few of us all walked together. some of the lads had been there already and were in the fourth year. when we arrived, us newbies were assigned to out classrooms. the teacher was ok, games was the first lesson that we had, the teacher was called mr. crank. truly awesome guy. hell of a shot with a basketball as well, as one of the scrotes found out.

come lunch time, we were supposed to go to the dining hall. the queue was horrendous, so we walked out and went to the bakery around the corner.

after lunch we had a few lessons. not sure what they were as it was a while back.

i was glad when that first day was over.

As Big kid as said - yer we had this where we mingled with the older years

One of my abiding memories of the 1st day par what i have said is well connected to what Big Kid has said (in how I met this 5th year) who was my first real crush that I hoped would lead to a girlfriend - though sadly not, but if sher was'nt a prefect (as she was not), that title should have been given to her as she sure helped all us "tough looking" (as we thought) first years in those early days. This probably is more of an abiding memory than most lessons (that remain very hazy at best)!

80sChav

As well on our first day in Year 7/First Year an abiding memory - from the mega Assembly Hall was being told that anybody who had worn their Ties thin side out would be made to change them in the Form-Room .... though I am sure this was only a Tactic aimed at First Years (and if we had had the greatest pwerfull thing that is Hindsight) that we would have copied the older Years knowing what I we/know now!

80sChav

Tuesday 5th September 1989 - the first day was a Tuesday probably because the Monday was Teacher Training Day. The whole form were in school uniform for the first time - only two of them who was at my previous school was in my form. Ironically for a school where all girls had to wear skirts just three or four years previously (my sister was one of them); trousers were now an option for the girls, and all the girls wore them, which I think helped with the equality within both genders with regards to the school uniform.

Our Form Tutor wrote out our new timetable on our form room's blackboard where it remained for at least three weeks. The timetable for that day was "Skills" which may have been a PSE-alike lesson; English; Science (with a Hankin out of Grange Hill prototype). After lunch it was Music; and we had PE where we got changed in the boys' changing room and went into the gymnasium.

The Inset day a couple of months before was also on a Tuesday, and we also had the English and Music lessons on that day as well.

The times of the school day was as follows:

8.45 am - Tutor Period (Wednesday: Year assembly - Friday: all-school assembly)
    9.15 am - Period 1
    10.10 am - Period 2
    11.05 am - Morning Breaktime
    11.20 am - Period 3
    12.15 am - Lunchtime
    1.25 pm - Afternoon registration
    1.30 pm - Period 4
    2.25 pm - Afternoon Breaktime
    2.40 pm - Period 5
    3.35 pm - End of the school day

This was also the First Year timetable: (Lessons 1 to 5 in order from the start to the end of the school day).

MONDAY: Maths; Languages (German); Science; English; Humanities.
    TUESDAY: Skills; English; Science; Music; PE.
    WEDNESDAY: English; Humanities; Maths; Swimming; Home Economics.
    THURSDAY: CDT; Art; Languages; PST (Practical Science and Technology - a combination of Science and CDT); English.
    FRIDAY: Humanities; Maths; PE; Languages; Drama.

What was needed for each lesson (in addition to school uniform, homework and stationery - pens, pencils, etc):

ENGLISH: English dictionary
    MATHS: Calculator
    LANGUAGES: German dictionary
    PE: PE Kit of shorts or tracksuit and trainers
    SWIMMING: Swimming trunks and towel
    HOME ECONOMICS: Food ingredients for recipe
    DRAMA: Trainers

It wasn't called Year 7, 8, 9, etc until I was in the Third Year (Year 9).
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

By the way, I meant 12.15 pm for Lunchtime and not 12.15 am.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).