Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Older years at Secondary School

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
    My secondary school was boys, 13-18 years old. I remember that the prefects, who would be four or five years older than me, discovered my extreme ticklishness and so I was tickled mercilessly by them!
    Sounds like you were at a Middle School (9-13 age group) before you joined there.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      Sounds like you were at a Middle School (9-13 age group) before you joined there.
      No, I went to a boarding prep school from 8-13 and then took an entrance exam.

Comment

Ah yes the 6th form. Despite my total disaster at Grammar school, my father wheedled me in to the local comp when we moved area. I was still reeling after spending 5 years on my own, and with all the horrors that went with that.

I thought I could maybe make friends at this new school, especially when I was handed 'someone to show me around'. I suppose this was ok at first and I didn't feel quite so isolated as before. I found I had nothing in common with this guy and his miscreant allies. Think The InBetweeners. I was Will (well sort of). I soon drifted away on my own, as none of this 6th form smoked or drooled after girls like I did.

Girls. There were GIRLS here. This was a mixed comp. At first I went around with a permanent red face, being in such proximity to such wondrous creatures. Then I realised that NONE of the entire 6 form girls were interested in me. They were all wearing spectacles, short haired and sat around reading books like Pride and Predujice. Waste of time I figuered. None wanted to know this misfit from a Grammar School. Some of them had boyfiriends with CARS or motorbikes, some at the school. I couldn't believe it ! I had no chance.

So I started looking at some of the lower years. Some were interested in me, but it never led to anything. Thus I staggered around after stuffing my eyeballs back into place and limped along in three, latterly two subjects, A-level. Art, History and a new 'science' subject called Sociology. It was a nightmare. Sociology was fine, no-one had done it before. But Art was awful for me. Being from a Grammar school all we ever did was drawing. All these new medias I couldn't handle, and no-one gave a damn enough to show me these things, including the weird Art teacher, who had a fixation for Paul McCartney. I couldn't stand him and still don't and after a year of Band on the Bloody Run over and over I'd had enough and just didn't bother turning up.

History was my best subject. Of course the boring old agricultural and industrial yawn we had to read about in Grammar school was usless here. This school had done POLITICAL history. So I had to start from scratch, and was behind the rest by a country mile. Luckily I found the political history course more to my taste as I was interested in the Napoleonic period anyway.

So it was that I left the 6th form, again in June of 1976, after scraping through History and Sociology. I left without a whimper, not missed by anybody. My grades weren't good enough for any tilt at a University place. My father point-blank refused to fund me at one anyway. He made my life a misery until I finally got a crappy job at the Social Security office in Reading.

Comment

Working...
        X