Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Richard Hammond meets Evel Knevel....anyone else see this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Hammond meets Evel Knevel....anyone else see this?

Did anyone else see Richard Hammond meets Evel Knevel? Originally shown on BBC2 in 2007, repeated (probably from now on constantly thanks to DAVE...)

Evel was a hero of mine as a child. I think his fame lasted a bit longer in the UK compared to his fall from grace in the USA (for reasons later explained) and I recall being given a surprise toy sometime after Xmas 1981....Ideal Toys EVEL KNEVEL STUNT BIKE SET!

My Mum bought it from Co -op and forgot to give it to me for Christmas so gave it sometime after, think it was actually toward Feb or March my birthday! Anyhow, Evel was a superstar to me and millions of small boys (and girls?) with his ham-fisted attempts of jumping this, that or the other - it was really the chance of his crashing that made him all the more infamous.

When I first saw the tv show with Hammond it actually broke me - he wasn't the great hero I thought he was. He sadly came across as a rather egotistical man, still trying to hold onto his glory days and seemed very awkward to interview, getting moody and cutting short the attempts to interview him. I felt Hammond too was still holding onto his boyhood innocence - instead of seeing the man as just that, a flawed man he still tried to envision him as the broad shouldered, well built hard man and show man with charisma. I guess its pretty much an apt depiction of meeting your hero and finding out he isn't what he was cracked up to be - i.e., if I met Richard Burton or John Lennon I'm sure they'd illustrate personality flaws that would really put me off them...but Hammond persevered. I'm sure in private perhaps he may have spoke about how disappointing it was to actually get a hint of what Evel was really like...For me, what also cemented my disappointment was the fact he pre-meditated the brutal assault of his manager/business partner - with a baseball bat. It was this that led to his loosing the millions of Dollars in merchandising - especially the lucrative Ideal Toys gig mentioned earlier...

In the programe, he said: 'I AM EVEL KNEVEL!' - and then asked to have the interview stopped as he needed help getting out of the car as a frail old man, you have to take it on the chin that in fact, no, he no longer is Evel Knevel but actually a frail old man...:cry: Maybe one should have admired his spirit and egotism as a form of self-belief, but the cynic in me saw it as just plain egotism...sadly.

I do however still remember revving up my Evel Knevel bike on the red ramp and the crescendo of noise as it built up in 'power' before letting him go - flying off the top of the staircase, off the tops of books and careening to a crashing halt.....all the while the bendy Knevel figure in the main still holding onto the handle bars of his bike...I played with it til it broke and ended up getting a replacement model from the store with a far more inferior plastic molded Knevel that in fact looked more like The Stig in hindsight...even the bike was made to look like a dirt bike on the replacement circa 1981/2...

Part of me would like to get another Evel Knevel toy....but perhaps I should consign this to a memory in the past - the hero I thought he was wasn't that, but a rather abusive man, flawed like a lot of us and that was the real disappointment when I watched the programme...

Re: Richard Hammond meets Evel Knevel....anyone else see this?

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
    Did anyone else see Richard Hammond meets Evel Knevel? Originally shown on BBC2 in 2007, repeated (probably from now on constantly thanks to DAVE...)

He sadly came across as a rather egotistical man, still trying to hold onto his glory days and seemed very awkward to interview, getting moody and cutting short the attempts to interview him. I felt Hammond too was still holding onto his boyhood innocence - instead of seeing the man as just that, a flawed man he still tried to envision him as the broad shouldered, well built hard man and show man with charisma.
    Yes. I saw it first time round on the Beeb. And it was very sad. I also wanted one of those sets...But never got one. I was tempted to search ebay for one before I saw the programme - But afterwards, I kinda lost my hunger for it. In essence, the programme depicted him as a failure. Everytime he did a 'stunt' he nearly killed himself in the process. He blamed the bike for his crash at Wembley in the mid '70s, which caused his European tour to be cancelled costing him millions in revenue. But actually he was the boss. He should've ensured that the bike had the appropriate shock absorbers on the rear wheel. I used to think he was brave, until as you mentioned I discovered his attack on his former manager. I did not know about this, until I saw Hammond's programme in 2007.

To be fair to him, he probably kept stopping the interview, because he was just too ill to continue more than a few minutes at a time. And what did he have to show for it at the end of the day? His ilness?

Really really sad.

I notice there was no mention of the so-called British Kneivel, Eddie Kid. Was that because he paralysed himself during his last 'stunt'?

Comment

I've not seen this I did hear about Evel's fall from grace after the baseball bat attack.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yeah I remember Eddie Kid. Anyone remember Barry Sheen? Not a stuntman like Knevel or Kidd but he was very famous back then...died of a cancer related illness?

I think Knevel suffered from a very large ego sadly - and I think Hammond tried to be as respectful as possible to the old man, as he was extremely ill. I'm sort of sure that, in private he too must have mused over how disappointing the experience of meeting one of his heros in person was - but out of respect to the mans family he kept quiet by making a programme that didn't slate him totally.

Its weird, I remember my Mum used to say 'Evel Knevel - very big headed man'...anytime he was on tv, she was right, the same could be said of Muhammed Ali, she used to muse that 'someone always comes along or something always comes along to smack you back down to earth'...she was right on both...parents eh? Pretty sage people...

Comment

I did see this show and it must have been hard for richard seeing his hero as he was.
          i always felt evel was a bit big headed.
          not having shock absorbers on his bike was a big mistake although he probably did not care.

really and sadly he had only himself to blame for losing his money due to the assault on his manager with a B B bat.
          if i remember correctly did evel not try to jump the grand canyon im near sure he did.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Evel tried to get the chance to jump the Grand Canyon but couldn't get permission.

Instead he tried to jump Snake Canyon in what looked like a rocket, but failed.

David Frost presented a programme about it.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

cheers rich never knew that he did not get permission to jump the grand canyon.
              but i remember the rocket thing he tried to jump snake canyon in.

it was a very long jump from what i recall.
              did not end up to well from what i remember.

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              Evel tried to get the chance to jump the Grand Canyon but couldn't get permission.

Instead he tried to jump Snake Canyon in what looked like a rocket, but failed.

David Frost presented a programme about it.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I watched the programme and have it among my collection.I remember his career during the 70s.He broke most of the bones in his body some multipul times.It was sad when he passed away.Richard Hammond gave great respect to a greatly amdired person.
                sigpic

Comment

I saw it too, when it was first on. It was a kind of sad story in a way. He half killed himself and for what? Odd what some people will do to be accepted.
                  - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                  - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X