• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favourite School year

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    First year , third etc ??

They call them year 7 or year 9 these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ah no, my friend. What I meant was that I didn't HAVE a good school year let alone a favourite one. I suppose some were less vile than others, but none which could be deemed favourite.

If you have read any of my depressing sub-dickensian posts to do with schooldays, you'll have picked up on the sarcasm of that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
      Ah no, my friend. What I meant was that I didn't HAVE a good school year let alone a favourite one. I suppose some were less vile than others, but none which could be deemed favourite.

If you have read any of my depressing sub-dickensian posts to do with schooldays, you'll have picked up on the sarcasm of that statement.
      Ahhh

I too detested every moment of my secondary school time .
      They didn't even know what dyslexia and Aspergers was in the early 70's. ..

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        Ahhh

I too detested every moment of my secondary school time .
        They didn't even know what dyslexia and Aspergers was in the early 70's. ..

You're right there. I have to say I envy what schoolkids have nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
          You're right there. I have to say I envy what schoolkids have nowadays.
          Mmmmm I don't think I'd survive on today's high schools . The pressures in and out of schools are tremendous .

Also I have no idea how on earth they are expected to revise at home with the distractions of texts / WhatsApp / emails and whatever coming through every minute on their mobiles .

Comment

to coin what a friend has said on another forum but re-jigged into my wording/take

First Year/Yer 7 - your getting used to the place (so not a good one)

3rd Year/Year 9 - 12/13 is possibly the worst age imaginable between late 0-12 age and the very first teenage year - so that eliminates that

4th Year/Year 10 - this is generally a a Exam Prepartion year and can arguably be worse age -wise than being 12 to 13

5th Year/Year 11 your doing the actual exams ...... which leaves the one year I purposely missed out ....... yep Year 8/2nd Year, as you have knon ppl a Year to form friendship and if your Footy-inclined that'd be formed late Year 7/first Year

So in conclusion I agree with my friend probably 905, but a bit part of me still sways towards 3rd Year/Year 9 as it is a terrific bridge between not being that young young Sprog anymore and being an older (but also younger young Adult who is also a young Teenager) but not an old Teenager at 18/19 that i hated in a extreme manner in 1995 to 1996

80sChac

Comment

I think I have to agree like many of you; that the 3rd year (aka year 9) would be best, or should I say most topical.
              Things I particularly recall in 1978 were discussions with friends in the playground concerning films such as Grease and The Omen. Also Tales of the Unexpected.
              I recall it been a good year for conkers.

Comment

I don't have a favourite school year from secondary. It was a dire experience from first to last. As for primary one year seemed to plod on from the one before it except for change of class and teacher.

Comment

I don't know about the "best year" the best day was the day I left school for good.
                  School for me varied between "bad" and "only just bearable"
                  I wasn't bullied. I was OK academically. I had friends. I just didn't like it.
                  Work was a revelation to me, and I enjoyed that far more than school.

Comment

I don't think I could point to a favourite year at either junior or secondary school. I could point to my first year at secondary school and say that for that year I disliked intensely my form tutor, but that would not make other years stick out as being particularly good, though he made my first year memorably unpleasant due to a particular incident.

I suppose that generally I enjoyed life at secondary school better as I moved through the years, with the final two probably being the best as we were then actively working towards our GCEs.

Comment

In many ways/respects I have "Rose Tinted Glasses and Memories" of Secondary School from my time there from 1988 to 1994, mainly constituting of very dark Mornings with no light and likewise for Teatimes and Evenings- visually and mentaly) but all years where great Imho - it's a "crest of a wave, you ride that only nce at school through good and attrocious times" and some-times in other aspects of your life/career - like for me 2002 (or at least the middle 6 months fom Jne to October 0 was the same for me with amazing highs and torid lows that was equal to school and it's day's - if not worse than every Secondary Schoiol Year - going from the most amazing great feelings and happenings to he saddest lows.

I can still recall that late October and Liverpool in the Champions Leauge on the Radio and fleeting a bit of the Match on TV upon returning froma a Road Trip from the Coast that mid-afternoon and never - even at school can I recall such insignifigance but such amazingness related to a Footy Game I had no interest in at all!!

I guess my point here is as with School - in the good and the bad points, that mysticness is as amaaing as hindsight and as powerful as hindsight is .... that can not even spoil such memories!!

80sChav
                      Last edited by 80sChav; 02-08-2018, 00:25.

Comment

I would say the final year of primary school was the best year. Out in the yard playing British Bulldog or football every break time. It was a great time to be alive and I had a wonderful teacher in Mrs Jones who encouraged me to write stories which I really enjoyed doing at the time. I had an exercise book full of Scooby Doo stories that I'd written - the only story I remember was about a ghost The Neon Phantom which was actually in the cartoon. Years later when I visited my primary school to say hello to Mrs Jones I asked for my story book but sadly there had been a clearout and all old exercise books by past pupils were put in the bin. I was gutted.

I never took to secondary school at all. The only part of that I liked was going to the library any opportunity I could to read some books or computer games magazines.

Comment

1981/2 - my last year in junior school - great memories, lovely teacher ( no longer with us )
                          1986/7 - my last year at secondary school, best times, great memories, songs that remind me of those times.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970schild View Post
                            1981/2 - my last year in junior school - great memories, lovely teacher ( no longer with us )
                            1986/7 - my last year at secondary school, best times, great memories, songs that remind me of those times.

I was a year off starting Secondary then in 87 1970schild, but I adore the 80s music and though the 90s was good, it was'nt in the same Leauge as 80s Music it was all still interwoven nd memorably linked from say 1985 onwards!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                              I think I have to agree like many of you; that the 3rd year (aka year 9) would be best, or should I say most topical.
                              Things I particularly recall in 1978 were discussions with friends in the playground concerning films such as Grease and The Omen. Also Tales of the Unexpected.
                              I recall it been a good year for conkers.
                              Tales of the Unexpected didn't start until 1979.

But I get your point - in the autumn term of 1988 (fourth year Juniors aka Year 6), the school playground (and classroom) discussions were mostly about salmonella in eggs and ghost stories about the fact that eating an egg could kill you and all that - amazing how many 10 year olds took notice of the Thatcher government back then - one assumes that the majority of my class actually read The Times rather then The Beano back then. The year before it was all about storms in the south east, Stock Aiken and Waterman dominating the charts, and Eamonn Andrews' death. There was also the "did you see so-and-so last night" referring to a TV programme on.

That year was the best one pre-comprehensive - our regular teacher (who didn't work on Thursdays for some reason) had quite a bit of time off, and we had a mixture of supply teachers for around three weeks leading up to summer half term.

And then this new girl joined our class on a Monday during the summer term. A year after I left, her mother visited us at home. I had found out that her mother was my half-sister, my father was her grandfather, and by implication, she happened to be my niece and I didn't even know it at the time when we were in the same class the year before - we exchanged Christmas cards last month.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X