Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 10p mix up/10p mixture

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    I don't know if this is a real memory or not, but I am pretty sure that once a friend had a sweet that was like a real shell with red jelly in it. It looked like a limpet shell filled with jelly on the concave side. I can't imagine it was a real shell. Can somebody put me right? I never saw them apart from the one she had. Perhaps she made it herself!
    I remember those!!!! I used to buy them from my local shop. It was hard to get the sweet stuff out of the shell. I'm sure it was a hard red toffee sorta thing rather than a jelly though.
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
      I remember those!!!! I used to buy them from my local shop. It was hard to get the sweet stuff out of the shell. I'm sure it was a hard red toffee sorta thing rather than a jelly though.
      OMG! I can't believe these were real. Really thought I must have imagined it! It probably was red toffee in it. Was it actually a real shell?
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        OMG! I can't believe these were real. Really thought I must have imagined it! It probably was red toffee in it. Was it actually a real shell?
        I'm sure it was a plastic shell but i rmemmber them being very realistic! The plastic was rock hard which made it hard to eat the sweet. I'd forgotten about them till you mentioned them in your post. Thanks for the memory (as they say!). I thought they might have been a local thing. I'm from Durham. But maybe not.

Comment

I sure miss the mixtures, were there also white/pink choc skulls and dolly beads sold on occasion?
          My old corner shop (now flats) used to do the mixtures, I can just recall the white paper bags with excess sugar at the bottom from the cola bottles and leftover sprinkles from the jazzies.

Comment

There were many more sweets in that 10p line up as I seem to recall you could have 2 teddy bears for 1p as they were half p each.

I also remember:

Dunhill Devils
            Toffee Logs
            Snooker Ball Bubble Gum - think it was 5p but it was the size of my fist...probably wouldnt be allowed to sell them now.
            Chocolate shaped into a tool of somesort - (saw,spanner) etc
            Fish and chips - white chocolate shaped into either a fish or a crinkled chip - youd have either not both
            I remember that multicoloured puffed rice stuff that was obviously just stale rice crispies loaded with E numbers
            I remember the thrill of finding out there was a different type of cola bottle out...smaller and thicker and chewy..then the fizzy ones..
            You could get half size packs of chewing gum with like 4 pellets in -

Comment

Chocolate* Tools & Chocolate footballs
              On the way to school, I used to pick up a few tools, a pack of Star Wars trading cards/gum & a handful of "Kojak" branded sweet cheroots

* chocolate coloured, but not really chocolate, more like dog chocs

Comment

Parma Violets - What was the point of them? a little packet of round violet-coloured 'Refresher'-type sweets that tasted disgusting. I used to like all of the other items in a 10p bag though.
                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Reading about the snooker ball chewing gum reminds me of those tubes of gum balls that used to be made by a company called Leaf. The white golf balls one springs immediately to mind. I think you got 10 in a packet.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I agree with the parma violets - yuk, tasted like washing powder. Floral gums were even worse! I used to like getting the odd midget gem though, especially the black liquorice ones. These days the black ones are blackcurrent . The black ones have changed to blackcurrent in sports mixtures too.

Also, can anybody remember the long strips of bubble gum balls that came out about 1990? 16 in a packet, really cheap, tasted fruity, all different colours. I went through a few of those.
                    Last edited by Trickyvee; 15-07-2010, 08:00.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I loved the white 'chocolate' fish and chips and the foam shrimps were really nice too. You could get 2 types of shrimp in our corner shop mix up box, a soft foam one and a harder textured one that had a really nice flavour. I also loved those jelly dummies and rings.

Comment

Aww I love parma violets. Don't ask
                        There were also cola bottles and sometimes lager bottles.

Comment

there were worse sweets than parma violets - scented ottoes....like squirting tweed in your mouth.

straws with sherbert in them
                          I remember our local chemist used to sell those sweet lollys you could whistle through...and sticks of wood that were liquorice.
                          White chocolate skulls that had pink goo inside them.

Comment

70's Fizzy Vampire Teeth

Who Remembers This Fizzy Vampire Teeth

Fizzy Vampire Teeth – great big fangs like Dracula had – except his weren`t fizzy – at least not in any of the Dracula films we have seen

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Re: 70's Fizzy Vampire Teeth

Yeah, encouraging kids to press sugar covered sweets against their teeth. Must have been invented by a Dentist.

Comment

Gum Powder

Click image for larger version

Name:	gumpowder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	260082

Gum Powder – explosively sour bubblegum! It`s not “Toxic Waste” sour. . . bubblegum that sour would probably be just too much. But this is bubblegum. . . in packs like tiny milk cartons. . . that bites back!!

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Working...
                                X