Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast

Thread: Crisps

Default Re: Crisps

I like the blue background, Heather!
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Odd, My wife just came home with some shopping which included a six pack of SMITHS crisps which were taken over by Walkers about 20 years ago....what gives?
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Smiths are still going strong here in Australia and make the usual flavoured traditional crisps (although they're called chips here). So maybe it's an Aussie pack? I think Smiths still do Salt n Shake and Chipsticks there? (I seem to remember buying some last visit)

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Odd, My wife just came home with some shopping which included a six pack of SMITHS crisps which were taken over by Walkers about 20 years ago....what gives?
    Monster Munch is a Walkers brand now, isn't it? (Assuming they still make them). They were a Smiths brand in the 1980s and 1990s at least.

I don't think that Walkers have ever done their own version of square crisps (remember Lenny Henry in the adverts?), but I believe that they have tried to do a Pringles-alike version of their crisps by packaging them in a tube. Asda do an own-name brand of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Smiths are still going strong here in Australia and make the usual flavoured traditional crisps (although they're called chips here). So maybe it's an Aussie pack? I think Smiths still do Salt n Shake and Chipsticks there? (I seem to remember buying some last visit)
    Thanks Mulletino, i really wouldn't know, i usually wait in the car whilst er indoors does the grocery shopping....can't be doing with it!

Just did a bit of shopping in my Sainsbury's Local earlier on and I was right - Walkers have got some sub-Pringles crisps in a tube on the shelves - "Stax" I think they are called.

Growing up in the 70s, my favourite flavour was Smith's salt and vinegar. It's funny how eating something can be associated with something else, but I always associate eating that particular brand and flavour with watching the Planet of the Apes TV series circa 1974/1975--strange.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    Growing up in the 70s, my favourite flavour was Smith's salt and vinegar. It's funny how eating something can be associated with something else, but I always associate eating that particular brand and flavour with watching the Planet of the Apes TV series circa 1974/1975--strange.
    Thats hilarious ..my wife once told me she once had a pack of s&v crisps which were very bland tasting so she put salt and vinegar on them, needless to say the end result was a soggy mush

When I was a child I recall eating crisps made by Golden Wonder. There was also a brand of crisps which contained a shachet of salt, which could be added at the desired amount.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Thats hilarious ..my wife once told me she once had a pack of s&v crisps which were very bland tasting so she put salt and vinegar on them, needless to say the end result was a soggy mush
    Walkers once went through a period where there was a good chance of a packet having hardly any flavour. Often if it was in a multipack the other packet of the same flavour had a lot of flavour, as if they were made when the flavouring was running low & topped up.
    The Trickster On The Roof