Crisps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Crisps

was trying to find a picture of em, but couldn't Daz kinda beat me to it anyway

the next picture is aimed at the RANCHEROS they were 5p at the time 1974 ish

DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Large Smiths Monster Munch Badge and Stickers.
      Heather

Comment

Smiths Crisps, Bovril Flavour and Chipsticks.
        Heather

Comment

Seabrook.
          Heather

Comment

I'd never heard of Hedgehog crisps until a few days ago funnily enough - I'm a member of a pygmy hedgehog forum and they were chatting about them on there. Apparently there was somekind of lawsuit over the flavour:

Hedgehog Flavoured Crisps : In the UK in 1981, Hedgehog Foods Ltd decided, as a joke, to produce Hedgehog flavoured crisps (potato chips). To everyone's surprise, the crisps were a huge success.

Hedgehog flavoured crisps were actually flavoured with pork fat and no hedgehogs were used in the manufacturing process. Consequently, it wasn't long before Hedgehog Foods Ltd was in court (1982), up against the Office of Fair Trading, on a charge of false advertising.

Bizarrely, a settlement was finally reached when Mr Lewis, of Hedgehog Foods, interviewed gypsies who actually did eat baked hedgehogs, to ascertain the flavour of hedgehogs. Mr Lewis then commissioned a flavourings firm to duplicate the flavour as closely as possible and changed the labels from "hedgehog flavoured" to "hedgehog flavour" and all interests were satisfied!

My favourite crisps of all time have to be Monster Munch (the original) but always have fond memories of that staple of the school tuck shop, Burton's Puffs, too! Could really go a packet of Puffs right now. Can anyone tell me if you can still get Puffs anywhere? I have a vague memory of eating some at work a few years ago but have no idea where they came from, so I'm starting to wonder now if it was all a dream...

I also really miss Bugles, Tuba-Loops and Jumbo Jaws. Tudor crisps were also good.

I really miss the range of crisps that used to be available - nowadays the market is entirely dominated by Walkers.

Comment

Tesco and Morrisions both still sell Burton's Puffs the packets look a bit different now tho
              http://www.sweetiebag.com/sweets-cho...-Onion-455.asp

Love the sound of Jumbo Jaws what were they like?
              Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                Tesco and Morrisions both still sell Burton's Puffs the packets look a bit different now tho
                Burton's Potato Puffs - Cheese 'n' Onion - Sweets and Chocolates from SweetieBag (455)

Love the sound of Jumbo Jaws what were they like?
                Ahh I don't think they have them in Tescos or Morrisons here. Must've found them somewhere though - good to know I wasn't imagining it!

Jumbo Jaws were like HUGE wotsits - you had to open your mouth really wide to get them in!! The ones I remember were pickled onion flavour (I don 't know if they came in other flavours) and were in a long green packet.

Comment

My faves were Chipitos, Wigwams and Smiths s & v and curry. Anybody remember Allstars? They came in bacon and s & v and had a football card inside.
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

KP Wigwams
                    Heather

Comment

I don't remember any of the ones branny mentioned!

Remember Smith's Jackets? - YouTube - Smith's Crisps - Jackets - UK Advert

I also found this ad for Smith's crisps with singing spuds! - YouTube - Smiths Crisps (Singing Spuds) - 1980's UK Advert

Comment

Hedgehog Flavour Crisps.
                        Heather

Comment

Haha! That pic is brilliant! Where on earth did you find that?

Comment

Just remembered 2 more... Frisps and Smiths Tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGirl View Post
                              Haha! That pic is brilliant! Where on earth did you find that?
                              Just by doing random Google seaches
                              Heather

Comment

Monster Munch Packet fron 1983 with a promotion for an Octopussy watch and the chance to win a holiday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a97c_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	258275

Click image for larger version

Name:	b77d_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	258276
                                Heather

Comment