I like the blue background, Heather!
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• Re: Crisps

Odd, My wife just came home with some shopping which included a six pack of SMITHS crisps which were taken over by Walkers about 20 years ago....what gives?
        Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Smiths are still going strong here in Australia and make the usual flavoured traditional crisps (although they're called chips here). So maybe it's an Aussie pack? I think Smiths still do Salt n Shake and Chipsticks there? (I seem to remember buying some last visit)

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            Odd, My wife just came home with some shopping which included a six pack of SMITHS crisps which were taken over by Walkers about 20 years ago....what gives?
            Monster Munch is a Walkers brand now, isn't it? (Assuming they still make them). They were a Smiths brand in the 1980s and 1990s at least.

I don't think that Walkers have ever done their own version of square crisps (remember Lenny Henry in the adverts?), but I believe that they have tried to do a Pringles-alike version of their crisps by packaging them in a tube. Asda do an own-name brand of them.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
              Smiths are still going strong here in Australia and make the usual flavoured traditional crisps (although they're called chips here). So maybe it's an Aussie pack? I think Smiths still do Salt n Shake and Chipsticks there? (I seem to remember buying some last visit)
              Thanks Mulletino, i really wouldn't know, i usually wait in the car whilst er indoors does the grocery shopping....can't be doing with it!

Comment

Just did a bit of shopping in my Sainsbury's Local earlier on and I was right - Walkers have got some sub-Pringles crisps in a tube on the shelves - "Stax" I think they are called.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Growing up in the 70s, my favourite flavour was Smith's salt and vinegar. It's funny how eating something can be associated with something else, but I always associate eating that particular brand and flavour with watching the Planet of the Apes TV series circa 1974/1975--strange.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                    Growing up in the 70s, my favourite flavour was Smith's salt and vinegar. It's funny how eating something can be associated with something else, but I always associate eating that particular brand and flavour with watching the Planet of the Apes TV series circa 1974/1975--strange.
                    Thats hilarious ..my wife once told me she once had a pack of s&v crisps which were very bland tasting so she put salt and vinegar on them, needless to say the end result was a soggy mush

Comment

When I was a child I recall eating crisps made by Golden Wonder. There was also a brand of crisps which contained a shachet of salt, which could be added at the desired amount.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Thats hilarious ..my wife once told me she once had a pack of s&v crisps which were very bland tasting so she put salt and vinegar on them, needless to say the end result was a soggy mush
                        Walkers once went through a period where there was a good chance of a packet having hardly any flavour. Often if it was in a multipack the other packet of the same flavour had a lot of flavour, as if they were made when the flavouring was running low & topped up.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                          When I was a child I recall eating crisps made by Golden Wonder. There was also a brand of crisps which contained a shachet of salt, which could be added at the desired amount.
                          That'd be Smith's Salt n Shake. They still seel them, but they are now Walkers Salt n Shake.

Comment

That's the picture of the crisps. I would have thought it would be more popular now as there are concerns about salt content in foods. But of course it will not work, as it gives the consumer a choice. In this day and age it has to be forced on the nation.

Comment

Re: Putting salt and vinegar on plain crisps. Yes, I have done that before, though putting vinegar on was equally as unsuccessful as a previous poster's wife's attempts. Putting salt on was far better. I recall Smith's did put a little sachet of salt in the packet. My dad told me that salt sachets were very common in packets of crisps back in the 40s. Not sure if all crisps were plain back then.

Comment

Talking about crisps, does anyone remember the Walkers Crisps promotion circa 1993 where some packs had a blue sachet which often contained an voucher for a few packet of crisps (or money off a six pack of crisps)?

The adverts (which were some of the first that Gary Lineker did) had showed Lineker finding a blue sachet with a £20 note inside, although I very much doubt that actual banknotes were contained inside them. Of course, they were very similar to the salt sachets that Smiths Salt 'n' Shake Crisps had a few years before.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X