Father Ted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Ted

I was just watching what passes for comedy here in the States and it got me thinking about what made me laugh back in the UK. This is what came to mind. Just thinking about it has provided me with more laughs than watching the current stuff here.

For the uninitiated, Father Ted was a program or Irish origin made for Channel 4 written by 2 guys called Arthur Matthews and Graham Linehan. Pretty much all of the cast were Irish. Three series an between the years 1995 and 1998.

The premise of the show was that it followed the adventures of three priests who lived on an Irish island in the middle of nowhere because their superiors have exiled them for past incidents. They live in a big house with Mrs Doyle who looks after them. Episode revolve around them trying to resolve situations with the islands people or the church. Sometimes Ted faces off against Father Dick and his parish, which consists of the same character styles. He usually ends up losing out to Dick whenever they face off.

The cast consisted of Dermot Morgan as Father Ted, Ardal O'Hanlan as Father Dougal, Frank Kelly as Father Jack and Pauline McLynn as Mrs Doyle.

Out of all the characters featured in the show, Father Ted is the most normal one, but even then he extra ordinary in the way he can take a mundane or embarrassing situation and wiggle his way out of it, only to dig himself deeper into a hole until he can't escape.

The show had a surreal sense of humour and revelled in making the stars of the show make the worst of even the best situations. Life on the island was made even odder by its remoteness and the 'uniqueness' of the people living there.

I really miss this show. I think when I return to the UK I'm going to watch all the shows back to back over a couple of days. I think because the show was antiquated visually when it originally came out, it's made it age really well. There are a few parodies that mark its age but apart from that I think it.

For me it truly is one of the best comedies produced, it's such a shame it was cut down in its prime, although I know Dermot had said he didn't want to do it forever. It was unfortunate he had a heart attack just after finishing the third series.

I actually remember the day that he died, I was really ill laid up in bed watching the TV and the news teaser before the break come on and announced that he'd died. It was a real sad moment for me, Morgan was irreplaceable and I'm glad they didn't try to go it without him.

What do you guys think about Father Ted?

Re: Father Ted

Absolutely loved Father Ted. I've seen it all so many times that now I have to be in the mood for it so to speak - so I forget all the gags and plots per episode...My favourite has to be when Ted kicked Bishop Brennan up the ****!!! The use of the word 'feck' was very funny too...When Dermot Morgan died I couldn't believe it, in a way I still don't - because like you said, it only lasted 3 series...and yes, I'm glad they didn't try to carry it on without him...

A close second to it was The I.T. Club, it had the same surreal humour and the same writers - some of their other stuff, barring these two, haven't been as funny.

Comment

Just love this show.

i remember hearing morgan saying woul;d'nt it bwe funny if i died just after the third series well he did.
      i think thery hadf plans to do another series but after dermots death that was it.

What a great cast.
      not just the main cast but characters like mary and tom graham norton and other priests who made the odd appearance.

You had craggy island and then you had rugged island.
      they had 3 priests and a mis doyle character.
      each of the rugged island 4 where exactly the same as there counterpart on craggy island.

i tell you when miss doyle got started she was impossiblwe to stop.
      you do not want to be bishop piggy in the middle
      go. on go on go on.

being irish myself i understand it so well.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Graham Linehan is an excellent comedy writer. He wrote Father Ted with Arthur Matthews and together they also wrote for Alas Smith & Jones, Harry Enfield & Chums and The Fast Show. I also really enjoyed The IT Crowd.
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I never knew they worked on Alas Smith & Jones, Harry Enfield & Chums and The Fast Show - I loved Smith/Jones and The Fast Show, went off Harry Enfield though...The IT Crowd was so funny too...

Comment

I took a chance and bobbed this into Netflix last night. All 25 episodes are there. Also, they have every IT crowd and Spaced too. Goodbye Big Bang Theory, I don't need you now. I have proper comedy to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
              I took a chance and bobbed this into Netflix last night. All 25 episodes are there. Also, they have every IT crowd and Spaced too. Goodbye Big Bang Theory, I don't need you now. I have proper comedy to watch.
              Well done! Big Bang Theory isn't funny - its just one joke played over and over - being the premise - nerds. I've tried watching it myself but got sick of it.

In Father Ted, one of my favourite characters was that fat smelly bloke sat on the rock wall in a dirty vest and was a bit of a psycho...it was the way he talked that cracked me up...

'Hallo Feyther!' he'd say...and then once he shot a bird with his shotgun!

Comment

I didn't get that much into FT when it was first on but really enjoyed it when it was first repeated.

I have the DVD box set & the script book, which mentions it was going to end with the 3rd series because the writers were having trouble coming up with new plotlines.

I've enjoyed The IT Crowd when I've seen it, & have really got into The Big Bang Theory recently, mabye you need to be nerdy to enjoy it?
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

This is one of my favourite Tom moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENWKYZ6udes

Comment

the fat bloke sat on the rock with the t shirt is pat shortt.-
                    there is one eopisoide where he puts rabbits in a vice.
                    B B T is terrible, funny i think not.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                    Well done! Big Bang Theory isn't funny - its just one joke played over and over - being the premise - nerds. I've tried watching it myself but got sick of it.

In Father Ted, one of my favourite characters was that fat smelly bloke sat on the rock wall in a dirty vest and was a bit of a psycho...it was the way he talked that cracked me up...

'Hallo Feyther!' he'd say...and then once he shot a bird with his shotgun!

Comment

I love, love, love Father Ted, I could watch it for hours! It was my mum that introduced me to it when I was 13 (1998) and I was hooked!

I cannot imagine the characters as anything but their FT characters, Pauline McLynn was in Shameless and it just wasn't right watching her like that lol. I did find it sad how Dermot Morgan died, and in a way I am glad he did get to finish the 3rd series.

Its a series I think that stopped when in its prime, as another actor would've ruined it, and if they had made any more it would've ruined it as well.

Comment

in other words it went out at the top
                        a bit shocked at 13 u where allowed to see it as its pretty rough language wise.

i never get bored with it either.

OH NO ITS FATHER STONE.

Originally posted by nuttytigger View Post
                        I love, love, love Father Ted, I could watch it for hours! It was my mum that introduced me to it when I was 13 (1998) and I was hooked!

I cannot imagine the characters as anything but their FT characters, Pauline McLynn was in Shameless and it just wasn't right watching her like that lol. I did find it sad how Dermot Morgan died, and in a way I am glad he did get to finish the 3rd series.

Its a series I think that stopped when in its prime, as another actor would've ruined it, and if they had made any more it would've ruined it as well.

Comment

It has to be one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.
                          So many great characters (poor father Larry Duff) & storylines.
                          Written when Matthews & Linehan were at the top of their game, everyone is beautifully played.
                          Absolute classic - Long live Father Ted.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            in other words it went out at the top
                            a bit shocked at 13 u where allowed to see it as its pretty rough language wise.

i never get bored with it either.

OH NO ITS FATHER STONE.
                            I watched what I wanted, my favourite film from when I was 10 was trainspotting!

I was never told I couldn't watch anything.

Comment

i was not so lucky.
                              a comedy that will always be remembered great main cast as well as guest cast.
                              its impossible not to laugh.

Originally posted by nuttytigger View Post
                              I watched what I wanted, my favourite film from when I was 10 was trainspotting!

I was never told I couldn't watch anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X