Coach Chassis being driven on the motorways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Chassis being driven on the motorways

I'm sure this was being done in the late 70's, early 80's. I'd be sat in the back of the car on a boring motorway journey, when every now and again we'd go past what must have been the chassis for a new bus or coach. The driver would be open to the elements and wearing a crash helmet and you'd see the whole workings of the bus. They must have been taking them to the body builders.

Have I imagined it, or does any one else remember seeing this???
    sigpic

Re: Coach Chassis being driven on the motorways

I've not seen something like this in the metal but my Dad can remember seeing a few buses chassis being driven about like this when he was young.

The most intestesting things I've seen on a motorway were various heavy loads being moved.

The film The Mexican has some being driven in the same way.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Can't say I've ever seen any in the metal, but I've seen plenty of chassis cabs being driven to bodybuilders. I did see a nuclear convoy on the M4 a few weeks ago. That was quite sinister.

Comment

I only saw one once, back in '78 when our Residents Association in Birmingham organised an outing to Windsor Castle in the Summer. It wasn't actually on the motorway, but in an outer London suburb, and I think the chassis was for a single-decker bus rather than a coach. I think the reason for it was to test the chassis's load-bearing capacity rather than because they were going to the body building works- weights would be placed at various points on the chassis to simulate it's maximum weight limit- if there were no problems then they'd construct the body of the vehicle, but if so then they'd have to have essential modifications done beforehand. I think it was something that used to happen more in the '50s & '60s than subsequently, but even so, it was at one time a sufficiently common sight for Dinky toys to have launched a model of one!!

Comment

Working...
        X