Contempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contempt

Ruby, I'd also suggest that you create a simple Wikipedia page with just a single paragraph with the names of the band members while you're working on the full version.. I'm sure there are quite a few people Googling the band and song title right now and not all will be persistent enough to find this page..
    m

Comment

http://yesitsnumberone.blogspot.co.u...miliarity.html

Comment

^ Wow seems that one episode of totp sparked quite an interest!
        Heather

Comment

I've submitted the Wikipedia article already Martin, I did it as soon as I'd got the basic information down. Thought I do that so I can just add detail to it as and when.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ContemptPhoto.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	260087 This is a post card-sized 'poster' with the band and their logo. A lot of people have been commenting on their style (or lack of it!) but according to my dad their look was completely intentional. As you can see by this picture, that was what they always wore. That was their image. They purposefully didn't want to appear uniform I think, the whole idea was to stand out from the crowd.

Comment

Hi Ruby

You've just solved a 40-year mystery, that's what you've done!
              Flicking through the Sky box and fell on last nights TOTP. Saw the opening song. Great live performance, by the way. Got me wondering.....Googled the bands name (didn't help DLT calling them 'a wee bit of contempt').
              Blah blah..........found this site and I was right! The lead guy was from Asylum. I saw them backing Manfred Manns Earth Band at Farnboro College - 1971/2 ish.

What a unique performance that night !
              Does he remember the interlude mid-song with the Financial Times and the chair and pot-plant?
              Song was "When Judy comes around(?). I'm 17 again. Any recordings available perchance?

Comment

Crikey - look what I started!
                "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Oh Bugsy I wish I could help with that one, I'm afraid my dad's no longer in contact with Howard Paul and hasn't been since about 1978 (they didn't really get on too well in the end...!). He has said many times what a great front man he was too, one of a kind in fact - I don't doubt that he was highly entertaining.

I'd love to know exactly what happened with the Financial Times, the chair and the pot-plant though!!? Do tell!

Howard lived up to his conservative image though and I think he was a bit of a right-winger: my dad always lamented the fact they peaked just too early for Thatcher. 'Money is a girl's best friend' could have been her official campaign song...! Pahaha

Comment

I've just caught up with the TOTP re-run and loved this opening track. It actually sounds more mid-70s than anything else and as somebody suggested it didn't fit into the two great movements afoot in early '77 (disco & punk). Its a shame the price of the old singles have rocketed since this was aired otherwise I'd have snapped up a copy. I've posted a comment on You Tube (jerseymael) and well done to that clever person that can work out how to do that as this song shoudn't be lost for another 30 years. Roby - you must be so proud of your Dad, even more so for giving that big show off of a singer a couple of thumps! (although he does unfortunately have a good voice)....

Comment

Sorry meant to say Ruby...its late. (PS I hope you don't take your love to town haha!)

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrazzmatazz View Post
                        I've submitted the Wikipedia article already Martin, I did it as soon as I'd got the basic information down. Thought I do that so I can just add detail to it as and when.
                        Hi Ruby, Sorry, I was suggesting that because I couldn't find it (and still can't). When I searched for it generally there was nothing and when I tried "Contempt (Band)" I was offered the chance to create the page.. I'm not a Wiki expert, so maybe there's a verification period or something..

Could you post a link here?

Comment

Oh no Martin I meant it's been submitted for review, there's a review process before they publish anything and apparently it could take a few days. That's why I wanted to get it submitted as soon as possible! I'll post a link on here as soon as I know it's been confirmed.

Thank you Mr Hotmael, I'm glad you like the track too and yes I am very proud of him! Haha! He's made it his mission now to track down the old album recordings. Who knows, they might be put up on youtube someday soon

Comment

Hi Ruby

Pity about your dad and Howard. I guess he doesn't have anything recorded from his Asylum days?
                            Is there anything buyable from the Contempt catalogue, small though it may be?

Graham

Comment

Hi I'm a newbie on this forum so hello everyone!

I picked up this conversation after a search simply because I wanted to find out more about the band! I was just 17 at the time of the release, bought the record (on the old red Polydor label after seeing them TOTPs but actually first hearing the track on the Radio 1 Roundtable show the previous Friday). I cajoled my then band into learning it (I sang it and played bass) and we played it live at about half a dozen gigs! The audience were bemused to say the least and it was quickly dropped out of the repertoire. My copy of the single is still in mint condition! It was great to see it last week - so glad I recorded TOTPs. Funnier still, I usually have a memory like a sieve and yet I was able to play along with it on the piano from memory...bizarre!

Cheers
                              x

Comment

I also remember watching the one-and-only TOTP performance of MIAGBF. I was instantly smitten with it and bought it, if I remember correctly, the next day; it seems the singles managed to make it as far as Crawley, at least.
                                I was disappointed that it vanished without a trace.
                                It would be great to hear the album tracks, if they're not still lost. Perhaps they could be made available as pay-per-track downloads.
                                I'm curious as to whether the band members all contributed to the writing of the album's songs.
                                It seems that comparing a new band to existing ones is inevitable (much to the chagrin of those in the new band) and I can't resist doing it myself:
                                Many people seem to feel that the sound of the song makes Contempt almost indistinguishable from "Sailor", but I wouldn't go that far.
                                There is, however, something about Contempt which is very similar to a band called "Jet" who filled an entire album with theatrical, speedy British pop, replete with overly upper-class British vocal delivery. Jet also failed to break into the big time, in spite of the fact that vastly inferior bands were able to do so.
                                And...
                                A trivial request: The only lyrics I can't make out are the words which immediately follow the lyrics "Chasing round in circles..." Can anyone make them out?

Comment

Working...
                                X