Contempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contempt

I'm currently watching an episode of Top of the Pops from 1977 on BBC4 and they just had a band called Contempt on singing "Money is a Girl's Best Friend". I feel like I've slipped into a parallel universe as I don't remember this band or this song at all. I was 16 in 1977 and really into music so I don't know how it/they passed me by. I can't find much about them on the Internet - anyone help me out here?
    "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Re: Contempt

I like your Pippa doll avatar Jacqueline... I know its not on topic but it sprung to mind.

Comment

How very dare you it's "Action Girl" lol

I'm using her slogan as my signature too

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
        How very dare you it's "Action Girl" lol

I'm using her slogan as my signature too
        I should know that an all! Argh! And I've been an Action Man collector - how could I not recognise another Palitoy product!!! Lol! I'm getting old...

Do you collect them then? Big collection? Is that one of yours in the avatar? Speaking of which, the best avatars on here are yours, Sly's, Pinney's, Andria's oh and of course...MINE...he he!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacqueline View Post
          I'm currently watching an episode of Top of the Pops from 1977 on BBC4 and they just had a band called Contempt on singing "Money is a Girl's Best Friend". I feel like I've slipped into a parallel universe as I don't remember this band or this song at all. I was 16 in 1977 and really into music so I don't know how it/they passed me by. I can't find much about them on the Internet - anyone help me out here?
          had a look on you tube and couldn't find anything there.........strange one that

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
            had a look on you tube and couldn't find anything there.........strange one that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-5gzLgJQc

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post

ooooh well done you I'm wondering what I typed into the search box now because I didn't get anything like that

Comment

It was on Google.

Comment

Hi Jacqueline, I'm pretty much an expert on Contempt as I'm the 21 year old daughter of the then-bass player, Nick Pallett (stripey shirt). I can tell you anything you want to know, I'm in the process of writing a pretty detailed Wikipedia article about them. There's been a sudden revival of interest since their TOTP appearance (not saying that's a good thing - most of the interest is just a kind of bemused distaste!).
                  Don't be surprised that they passed you by - my mum was also 16 at the time and didn't remember a thing about them! (They're married now and she still refused to believe he was telling the truth about his performance until she'd seen it with her own eyes!)
                  Basically they were invited onto TOTP as an introductory act; their single 'money is a girl's best friend' was due to be released the following Friday morning. If it did well they would have released more singles and an album (which they had already recorded). However, Polydor records didn't distribute the singles properly and the majority of record shops never stocked it, so people forgot about them and it never charted. The band were back to square one and returned to playing university gigs; meanwhile my dad lent the master tapes of the entire album to the manager, John Scott, who never returned them. One night a few months later my dad and Howard Paul, the front man, came to blows backstage at a gig over (amongst other things) Howard's repeated boasting about their TOTP appearance.

Comment

hi ruby why not introduce yourself?

Well i must say ive never heard of Contempt.
                    When did they first play together,how did they get together,and how many were in the group?

sorry for all the questions

Must be great having a famous dad eh.hehe

they must have been decent to get on t o t p though.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

ooooh well done you I'm wondering what I typed into the search box now because I didn't get anything like that
                      SD it looks like the video was only up loaded yesterday,thats why

Thanks for the info Ruby!
                      Heather

Comment

But surely that WAS me introducing myself?? Or am I not getting something...?

Haha he's hardly famous! He's been close a few times but never quite made it. Nowadays he teaches snotty-nosed kids how to play guitar.
                        To answer your questions Darren, the band consisted of front man Howard Paul (lead vocals), Nick Pallett (bass, vocals), Robin Langridge (keyboard, vocals), Chris Jarrett (guitar, vocals) and Stuart Skinner (drums). Nick Pallett met Howard Paul through the London music scene - they'd both perform at the same open mic nights, usually held at the Troubadour. When Howard's guitarist left to go travelling, Nick stepped in to take his place. Together they decided to form a whole band; Howard wanted to recreate his old group 'Asylum', but they ended up creating an entirely distinctive style and decided to go for an entirely new name. Hence; Contempt.

Comment

I think darren was referring to the Introduce-yourself forum https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...oduce-yourself but like you say you've already said everything here
                          Heather

Comment

rubyrazzmatazz, thanks so much for the info. I quite liked what I heard. I think I must have missed seeing that particular edition of TOTP because I'm pretty sure I would have remembered it. Welcome to the site by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrazzmatazz View Post
                              Hi Jacqueline, I'm pretty much an expert on Contempt as I'm the 21 year old daughter of the then-bass player, Nick Pallett (stripey shirt). I can tell you anything you want to know, I'm in the process of writing a pretty detailed Wikipedia article about them. There's been a sudden revival of interest since their TOTP appearance (not saying that's a good thing - most of the interest is just a kind of bemused distaste!).
                              Hi Ruby,

I'm just watching the same show on catchup and went through a similar process of "how come I don't remember this?", then Googling without success until I landed here.

I thought the song was really catchy and wondered why I didn't know it. I also wondered why it wasn't a hit and thought maybe it was the lack of record company support since clearly there'd been no image styling.. :-) Just for the record, I thought the drummer looked like he'd parked his Harley outside, the lead guitarist was trying very hard to be fashionable and was probably disappointed by his colleagues, the bassist wore what he normally wore to the pub and the lead singer didn't fit in at all with his sharp suit.. But I thought the song deserved to be a hit and guessed it just got caught in the transition from disco to punk.. (or maybe I've just got no taste!)

Shame they didn't do better, I'd be tracking down the album now but I guess it doesn't exist.

Tell your Dad he's got at least one fan (or two if you're also one)!

Martin
                              http://www.gigshot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X