Tales Of Television Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales Of Television Centre

Did anyone see this last night, on BBC Four? It's on the iPlayer now if you want to or it's repeated over the weekend sometime if you want to record it. But be warned, this might just be me, but the ending of it was sad, it made me weep like a child. Such a shame to see such an iconic and beloved building just be left to decay and ruin. Part of it is listed, so it will have to be maintained I guess, but will it be?

Just think of all the shows that were made there. Probably all the shows that 99% of us on here hold very dear to our lives. I know for me that the majority of things I treasure were made there.

I know we should be greatful for it existing in the first place and giving us all these wonderful shows and stars and memories, but you can't get over the sadness of it being decommissioned.

- Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
    - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Re: Tales Of Television Centre

Just watched this. A great insight into the life and times of a great building. I never realised that most BBC programmes, if not all of them, were made there. I always knew that things like the BBC Saturday morning TV shows and Blue Peter were (probably because of the address for competitions) but I was too thick to realise it was the main hub for so many of the great shows I know and love, all being made side by side.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Elton John's appearance on the 1977 Morecambe & Wise Christmas Show with portions of the Television Centre itself as backdrop.

Comment

It is a great, important and historic building. It's a very big shame that it is being abondoned to rack and ruin. I hope it doesn't become derilict.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Some parts are listed, it would be great to turn into a museum of broacasting.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

From what I understand even after the building is sold the BBC plans to continue using the studios as a tenant.

Comment

Well then why sel it in the first place? Surely paying some sort of rent on a building like that will be astronomical for the license fee payers. All this when they are cutting costs everywhere and trying to save money. Doesn't make sense to me.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

never seen this but this is terrible news.
                buildings like these should and must not be allowed to decay.
                why only part maintained it should all be maintained.

this building was responsible forhaving some tremendous shows made in it.

think a petition is needed to save it.

sadly these buildings do not hold the same affection for some as they do for others like us here.

Originally posted by the-peoples-poet View Post
                Did anyone see this last night, on BBC Four? It's on the iPlayer now if you want to or it's repeated over the weekend sometime if you want to record it. But be warned, this might just be me, but the ending of it was sad, it made me weep like a child. Such a shame to see such an iconic and beloved building just be left to decay and ruin. Part of it is listed, so it will have to be maintained I guess, but will it be?

Just think of all the shows that were made there. Probably all the shows that 99% of us on here hold very dear to our lives. I know for me that the majority of things I treasure were made there.

I know we should be greatful for it existing in the first place and giving us all these wonderful shows and stars and memories, but you can't get over the sadness of it being decommissioned.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sadly, I doubt whether a petition would do any good. As you say, it holds more passion and love within its walls for some more than others. I don't think the BBC will be allowed to 'let it go' too much, part of it is listed and listed buildings are very strictly controlled by laws.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                    Just watched this. A great insight into the life and times of a great building. I never realised that most BBC programmes, if not all of them, were made there. I always knew that things like the BBC Saturday morning TV shows and Blue Peter were (probably because of the address for competitions) but I was too thick to realise it was the main hub for so many of the great shows I know and love, all being made side by side.
                    Had a trip to London a couple of weeks ago and decided to have a walk past BBC Television Centre to see this iconic building of my childhood with my own eyes. I knew it was closing at some point but didn't realise it was closing the following week! First thought was that it looked much smaller in real life than on TV but as I walked closer I heard the unmistakable tones of Suggs drifting across the road, apparently rehearsing for the 'goodbye' event later that evening. This was early afternoon so hardly anybody was there and I was able to get right up to the front gates and enjoy this free Madness show with the infamous back drop. A great unexpected experience!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                    X