Punk Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Punk Rock

Probably one of my favourite punk bands of all time. I also quite likes Jake Burns side band the Big Wheel, slightly different direction but still in the same vein if that makes any sense ! Saw SLF many times over the years and went to see the a few months ago in London, the songs have slowed down a lot but the sentiment is the same, was great to see Bruce Foxton platying for them as well.

Here is my fave SLF offering yeah I know its a cover version but it blew me away when I hear it livbe at Punk & Disorderly festval

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ho1cTx0eI
    When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

This song meant a lot to the Belfast punks, and always had us on our feet:

Last edited by Nostalgia; 07-06-2012, 17:16.

Comment

I used to (and still) like Wayne/Jayne county and the electric chairs. The 'blatantly offensive' EP is a masterpiece! Another favourite of mine was 'name rank & serial number' by fist. I liked Peter and the test tube babies, the exploited, stiff little fingers to name a few. I got into this music as a kid in the early 80's.
        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Peter and the Test Tube Babies ...The Exploited ....SLF .....ah, nostalgia.

My ancestors came from Durham. Never been there, but it looks nice from the internet photos.

Comment

Loved "Suspect Device" by the Stiff Little Fingers

Comment

I will put my tuppence worth in when I have more time, just kinda bookmarking the page so I don't forget LOL
              Right.....Back to work :S
              DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I've always liked a bit of punk, I love early stuff by The Damned & The Clash, I don't mind a few Pistols tunes.
                Although i'm mainly into heavy stuff like The Exploited, Discharge, Crass, bands like that. As well as the Slits, X Ray Spex, Anti-Nowhere League ('So What' is ridiculous) and the classic songs of The Buzzcocks.

Also I love the American hardcore punk bands like Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, D.O.A, Minor Threat, plus stuff by The Ramones and The Misfits.

Some of my best friends are in UK pop punk favourites Vanilla Pod,
                I also know a member of the Toy Dolls & an ex member of Splodgenessabounds (of 'Two Pints Of Larger & A Packet Of Crisps Please' fame.)

Comment

@Demoneyex

We played with Splodge in Kentish town a few years back... here is the video of two pinst of lager with me "helping" Max with the vocals for the last few minutes ! We walked off and went to the green room to drink cider and left the band to see it out !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M71EYldNmUg
                  When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgia View Post
                    I grew up in Belfast, during the troubles. I'm now living in a small rural location. Whenever I fly over to England to see family and friends (I have family in Leicester), people think I'm Irish. I'm not, I'm British. Sometimes I get tired of explaining the political situation in Northern Ireland, and how there are two different tribes here ie. British Unionist Protestants; descended from English and Scottish colonial settlers (my ancestors came from Durham in England and Galloway in Scotland), and Irish Nationalist Catholics. I'm a British Unionist, and if you ever want to see the biggest festival and celebration of Britishness in the UK and indeed Europe, come to Belfast on the 12th of July.

You'll be impressed.
                    Nostalgia - Seems you and I are one and the same. I too am a Protestand Ulsterwoman and proud of it. The 12th of July is the best day of the year in Belfast, I love it and have only missed a handful of days in Belfast since I was born back in 79. I was there this year with my Aunt and Uncle and there was a Chinese family stood next to us, husband, wife and grown-up son. The wife was having a great time! Waving her arms in the air, dancing to the music, jugging up and down, she loved it! Was nice to see, made a nice change to see some 'other' faces there. I'd recommend that as a day out for anyone.

As for punk, love it, but personally, it ended when John Lydon left the Pistols. He was the sould of British punk for me, still is and always will be. I love him more than I can put into words. He is uncompromising, straight-forward, plain speaking and with an attitude that could curdle your blood. He's a true British hero and he doesn't get anywhere near the recognition or respect he deserves - except from the ones that know. You get no bullshit from him and I respect that in anyone. I have always loved his attitude too, mainly because it's quite like my own. You speak your mind, be true to yourself and if anyone else doesn't like it or can't deal with it, stick two fingers up to them and move on. It's their loss.

The recent Punk Britannia series on BBC Four was excellent I though, I really enjoyed it.
                    Last edited by HG; 25-07-2012, 21:41. Reason: removing swearing
                    - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
                    - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

This may set the cat amongst the pigeons but I've never really understood what punk was. If it was music then don't include The Stranglers, Banshees , Clash etc if Punk is The Pistols, Ruts, Upstarts ets as Musically they have nothing in common, if it was culture grouping then again there was the likes of CRASS and others screamed 'listen to me' The Pistols etc shouted "Look at me, I have nothing to say".

Comment

I don't agree that the Pistols had nothing to say, all you have to dois listen to any John Lydon interview and pay attention to it, he speaks a lot of truth, a lot of what he says may be near the bone but he's honest and straightforward, no bullshit. I respect that in people. He's not as stupid as people like to think he is.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by the-peoples-poet View Post
                          I don't agree that the Pistols had nothing to say, all you have to dois listen to any John Lydon interview and pay attention to it, he speaks a lot of truth, a lot of what he says may be near the bone but he's honest and straightforward, no bullshit. I respect that in people. He's not as stupid as people like to think he is.
                          I must have watched a different John Lydon on Question Time a few weeks ago, a loud mouth with nothing in particular to say and a few swear words just to live up to his controversial billing.
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

All I can say is that I feel the opposite, I thought what he had to say was very right and very relevant and he did make a lot of sense. As for the swearing, that's not put on for the public, that's just part of his natural personality and way of speaking. It's nothing bad as long as you take that in mind. The boss in the office I volunteer in speaks the same way, he drops swear words into general conversation all the time, he's not doing it to be rude or controversial or anything like that, that's just part of his natural vocabulary.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

Like a bit of punk myself. The lad who lived over the road from me used to play me some of his 45s. I remember him playing the pistols, buzzcocks, stranglers and Jilted john. I was only 10 at the time and was not allowed to have a pierced ear or dye my hair or destroy clothes with safety pins so a brown mohair jumper was about as punk as I got. Some of the music did find its way into my collection though with The Stranglers, Siouxsie and Buzzcocks amongst my favourites.
                              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by the-peoples-poet View Post
                                All I can say is that I feel the opposite, I thought what he had to say was very right and very relevant and he did make a lot of sense. As for the swearing, that's not put on for the public, that's just part of his natural personality and way of speaking. It's nothing bad as long as you take that in mind. The boss in the office I volunteer in speaks the same way, he drops swear words into general conversation all the time, he's not doing it to be rude or controversial or anything like that, that's just part of his natural vocabulary.
                                Yeah I remember him slagging everything off as a rip off, then saying "ever get the feeling you've been cheated". What was it The Pistols had to say as it was lost to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X