Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Pasts Most Serious Crimes

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    I'm not sure if this would count as the details have only come out recently. I'm referring to the late Jimmy Savile's long history of sexual abuse going back several decades. I saw a documentary about the once beloved television personality and it amazed me that there were actually several missed opportunities to bring Savile to justice when he was still alive.
    He got away with so much to think I used to watch Jim fix it who else has skeletons in their cupboard we dont know about

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
      who else has skeletons in their cupboard we dont know about
      Well, as it turns out, allegedly, quite a few people it seems. Many of them seem to have worked as respected radio/television personalities. I am starting to wonder just how many 1970's adult celebrities may turn out to be sexual criminals. It is starting to feel like a blight on the whole era. Mind you, i doubt any of them can match the sheer monstrosity of saville.

Comment

In the case of Saville it seems that everyone from the BBC to the NHS knew what he was playing at but turned a blind eye. He had friends in very high places, including the Royal Family. One of the documentaries showed a pic of Saville dressed in the uniform of a Royal Navy admiral posing with high-ranking naval officers!

Comment

The Saville stuff is absolutely mental isn't it? I'm still surprised certain people have not been pulled in over the whole yew tree investigation. It's all sorts of crazy when you've got people you admired as a kid get dragged through that. Especially some of the folks they've pulled in. It sort of feels like having the rug pulled from under your childhoods feet.

Comment

He was a good actor playing Mr nice guy with charity events Jim fix it etc little did we know of his evil dark side

Comment

It's almost as if paedophillia was deemed nothing more than a "bad habit" within certain circles in the 70's. That's why so many people stayed quiet and so many kids were abused. Truly awful.

Comment

I remember headlines in the Daily Mirror about more Yorkshire Ripper victimes. The next major crime I remember was the hunt for Robert Black, who murdered Susan Maxwell, Caroline Hogg and Sarah Harper. I remember a drawing in the Mirror paper of a reconstruction of Susan Maxwell's disappearance. It was the little girl wearing a tennis outfit hitting an abductor with her racket. I remember reading that on the day of her funeral, her mother spotted a yellow rose had bloomed in their garden, think Susan had planted it or something, heartbreaking!

Many other crimes stand out for me, James Bulger's murder I will never forget, I cried for weeks.

I remember Jeffrey Dahmer being captured, also Denis Nilsen and his drains.

Comment

Jeffrey Dahmer is also believed to have committed murders in Germany when he was stationed there while serving in the US Army.

Comment

Jill Dando murdered on her London doorstep

Comment

Fred and Rose West i remember back in 1994. I remember at the same time Brookside was doing a storyline with the body under the patio.

Comment

Plenty of older cases which have became famous such as Mary Bell and John Christie, but as far as the 1970's onward goes, there was the 1976 school bus kidnapping in California:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/g...nap/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                          Plenty of older cases which have became famous such as Mary Bell and John Christie, but as far as the 1970's onward goes, there was the 1976 school bus kidnapping in California:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/g...nap/index.html
                          I remember that one very well. The bus driver passed away just last year at age 91.
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/us...t-91.html?_r=0

Comment

How about that evil Austrian man who kept his daughter hidden in the house for 20 years I believe, abused her etc

Comment

I remember the Fred West case breaking in the news when I was a schoolkid, also vaguely remember a news story about someone breaking into a girls' school, holding several pupils hostage and killing them with a knife. I can't remember when or where that happened though.

I had a friend whose mother had been attacked by a man late at night and was convinced he'd been Peter Sutcliffe although I guess that anyone who had a similar encounter around that time and place might jump to the same conclusion ...

Comment

wow yes indeed.

and of course the james bulger abduction i remember people saying it was the fault of the childs play film.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                                How about that evil Austrian man who kept his daughter hidden in the house for 20 years I believe, abused her etc
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X