Walnut Whips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walnut Whips

Walnut whips themselves have always been pretty iconic confectionary, both in looks and name. Over the years, they were rolled out by Nestle in a range of delicious flavours, including maple and coffee flavours. The original vanilla is the only one still going and it consists of a whirl-shaped cone of milk chocolate and inside is a dollop of whipped vanilla fondant topped with that all-important walnut. At it's peak of popularity (probably in the 90s), Nestle claimed that a walnut whip was eaten by someone, somewhere in the UK every two seconds!The only change to the recipe along the way was the addition of a decorative walnut on the whip's outer peak. Later, the inner walnut was removed to avoid walnut overload presumably.The walnut whip recently achieved a boost, thanks to Ken Livingstone, who famously claimed that the London 2012 Games would cost each Londoner only the price of a walnut whip at 38p.Whatever happended to Walnut Whips with coffee cream in the middle? God they were delicious!!

More...

Re: Walnut Whips

Mmmmm yessssss the coffee ones were to die for ............bring back the coffee walnut whip!

Comment

I used to like Walnut Whips. Not sure why but they're 'smooth' now and not rough in texture. I much preferred them when the texture was rough. I'm sure they tasted nicer that way! I liked M&S mint flavour whip too.
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Yes i loved walnut whips when they where rough.
        In fact i never knew they where now smooth in texture as ive not had one in a very long time.

i loved the whirl shaped cone.
        To me thats the way it should be.

The coffee cream walnut whips where fantastic.
        Strange thing is at the time i did not like coffee but i loved the coffee flavoured walnut whips.

Why did they do away with something so delicious.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I bought a walnut Whip last week in a newsagents (Needed change for the Metro) and instantly remembered how I used to eat them when I was younger and there were coffee ones still. Take off the walnut, try and bite off the chocolate used to glue the walnut on without marking the cone part, bine off the top and bottom of the come, suck out the marshmallow fondant mystery goo stuff then eat the empty cone. I'm ashamed to say I did all of that right in the middle of Haymarket Metro station. If anyone saw that, sorry!
          If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Walnut Whip's used to be great I think. If I am honest Walnut wip's are one of the only Food's like Chocolate, Crisps, Pop etc that have retained how they used to be. Even thinking back to the 1990s - Pop like Lilt and Cherry cola are nowhere near the taste they had in the 1980s/1990s.

Why this is I don't know. The only reason I can think of is unless it's because they are produced to such a degree from the factory the taste is lost or something. I wish I could figure why this is, though i'm unsure if i'll find out why.

80sChav

Comment

No its the company cutting costs, reducing ingredients, adding newer ingredients that are cheaper or rubbish and portion sizes so it ruins what once was a great tasting, great value product....Cadbury mini rolls may taste nice but they are far smaller now than they used to be as another example...as for crisps they've really cut down the contents - I reckon these so called 'grab bag larger sizes' are actually the old sized portions we used to eat as kids...

Comment

thing is if the company did not cut costs reducing ingredients, adding newer ingredients that are cheaper or rubbish they would sell more and earn more money by keeping it as it was.

Dont they understand by doing this less people will buy it.
                walnut whips where far nicer than they are now for sure.
                it a product works keep it the same.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                No its the company cutting costs, reducing ingredients, adding newer ingredients that are cheaper or rubbish and portion sizes so it ruins what once was a great tasting, great value product....Cadbury mini rolls may taste nice but they are far smaller now than they used to be as another example...as for crisps they've really cut down the contents - I reckon these so called 'grab bag larger sizes' are actually the old sized portions we used to eat as kids...
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

This is a dangerous site to visit and should come with a health warning.CAUTION READING THIS THREAD WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO GO TO THE SHOPS FOR A WALNUT WHIP.So I just went up the road to buy one as I suddenly had a craving after reading this thread.Guess what they must be the only shop in town not to sell them.Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Anybody got a spare whip they would like to share,lol.

There was an article about wagon wheels where the company that makes them said that the reason tyhings seem smaller is due to childrens hands being smaller then adults so things look bigger.When we then go to buy the same thing later in life the item suddenly seems a lot smaller then we remember them.What we really need to do is compare weights on the packaging to see if the size had got smaller.Crisps however seem to have bigger packets and less contents,and quality in certain things has certainly slipped.Taste is another thing that certainly seems to be an issue with certain products especially milky bars which are now too sweet and sugery in taste.

Comment

Walnut Whips used to be the chocolate that we would only get on special occasions. Having not too long ago tried one for the first time in many years, I was disappointed. Are they smaller than they used to be? What's with making the cone smooth instead of rough? The chocolate also doesn't seem as thick as it used to be.

Comment

I always liked the plain chocolate ones. Never liked the actual walnut though.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
                        I always liked the plain chocolate ones. Never liked the actual walnut though.

I don't know if other kinds were available in the 70s/80s, but we invariably had the milk chocolate type.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          I don't know if other kinds were available in the 70s/80s, but we invariably had the milk chocolate type.
                          As I recall, the milk ones were in blue wrappers, and the dark were in red,

Comment

They still sell Walnut Whips don't they, although because of the prospect of being a choking hazard, the walnut is not longer included. Mind you, I thought that it was only on there for the benefit of decorating the product and making it look good.

A few years back, someone on local radio enquired as to whether a Walnut Whip Easter Egg was available in the shops - obviously, they were not.
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                              They still sell Walnut Whips don't they, although because of the prospect of being a choking hazard, the walnut is not longer included. Mind you, I thought that it was only on there for the benefit of decorating the product and making it look good.

A few years back, someone on local radio enquired as to whether a Walnut Whip Easter Egg was available in the shops - obviously, they were not.

I last had one about 3 or 4 months ago and I thought that the walnut was still there atop the cone. I don't intend to have any more, though, as I was so disappointed as to how I thought they had changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X