Notes in bottles etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes in bottles etc

I never did this when I was young but heard about it years later - when people would put a mesage in a bottle andpost it on the Coast or in a River! I heard someone in Scandanavia recieved one once. How I wish i'd thought thought of this, what a fun way to find a new friend I think. Sounds so great indeed Ifa nyone else posted a note etc in a bottle and got a reply it'd be great to know about/of please.

Thanks,

80sChav

Re: Notes in bottles etc

I always wanted to do this but never did. Closest I got was writing a couple of notes with my friend at about age 6 after we had been told a story about message in a bottle type things and my dad 'Promising ' to throw them out of the car window on a long journey he was doing...like he ever did
    1976 Vintage

Comment

i did do this a long time ago but i got no reply.

this was at least 2 decades ago.

for yrs after it i wondered did anyone ever get it.

maybe they did but did not reply.

it was such an exciting thing to do.

i threw it into the irish sea.

think ill try it again.
      amd if i get a reply ill let u know.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I don't know why, thing's like this have always been a great idea to me - more so in the 1980s/1990s, as I guess before the Internet it was a sense of doing something different as it one of the only way's to find new Friends par Pen Pals.

The idea was so much of adventure though of course I never decided to do or had the time/innition to say to myself "try" etc as I kept promising myself I wanted to etc.

I am sorry you never got a reply Darren, I hope you'd get one if you sent any in the future. All the best of luck to you - if you decided to try.

80sChav

Comment

I did this for a long period in time (60s - 70s) when I was a radio officer in the merchant navy. I had some postcards made in Hong Kong. Printed in four languages (English, French, German and Spanish) on bright coloured paper. Not knowing how long it might be before I had a reply, and because my home address at that time was always changing. I asked that the cards be returned to my local newspaper. I must have placed a couple of hundred over the side in different seas and oceans. I always used plastic bottles because I thought they were stronger and more likely to survive.

So far there have been no replies.
          Regards

Captain Mick

sigpic

Comment

I did this on a few occasions both in the sea and in local rivers. I too never got any replies. Also tried it on helium filled balloons again with no response.
            I once found a tag on a popped balloon and dent that off with where I had found it but they never got back to me either.
            Heather

Comment

funny enough recently i heard of someone i think in the uk who found a bottle with a letter in it from someone from sth africa.
              it shows it really works.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
              X