Faggots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faggots?

No not the derogatory term for homosexual men but Mr Brains Faggots...remember then? I went to Sainsburys to buy a few things and saw them in the freezer cabinet - its been years since I ate some. I remember the old ad for them set in the 1920's in Mr Brain's kitchen as his staff made the Faggots - one of them was cutting onions and it brings tears to her eyes...then Mr Brain tests the sauce...etc.

Anyhow, this evening I had Faggots, Farrows Marrow Fat Peas and Oven Chips....YUM. The Faggots do seem smaller than they used to be, they sell them in packs of 6 or 2, I seem to remember packs containing 4 large ones...

I've got 4 left, the rest of the tin of peas I cooked and another bag of oven chips - yummy! It was a real nostalgic meal...Heres to tomorrows dinner then!

Re: Faggots?

I remember in primary school every Wednesday was faggot day. It was one of the few meals that was good at school, the meals there were bloody horrible. Some of the dinner ladies called them ducks but mostly they were called faggots. Have you ever had them where they have an oat covered outside?

Comment

I used to quite like Faggots. I'm with you sf, i'm sure they used to come in containers of 4 with gravy. They were lovely. Not had them in years! We never got them at school though. Spam was a bit thing at our school!
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Spam was big at our primary school too.Never had faggots at school,but dad used to like them so occationally we had them for dinner.I used to like them,but the last ones I had which was many years ago now really upset my stomach and I have not been able to bring myself to touch them since.

Comment

I've seen a 1970s ad for Faggots with Rodney Bewes somehow keeping a straight face.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

yummmmm loved Brains Faggots...........haven't had them for years.......must recitfy that!

Comment

I actually ended up eating a second helping later last night with the rest of the peas and chips - yummy!

Comment

I use to love Brains Faggots as a kid, but the last time I tried them they just turned to mush in the silver cooking tray. I haven't tried them since that.
                sigpic

Comment

LOL this post reminds me of this line" We must Gather up all the faggots and burn them "A quote taken from a 1984 film, anybody wanna have a guess??http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodba...House_of_Death
                  DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I've seen a 1970s ad for Faggots with Rodney Bewes somehow keeping a straight face.
                    To be honest, its only imo been in the last 30 years or so via Hollywood and US sitcoms/comedy that we in the UK have grasped that the Yanks use the word cruelly for gay, and in the 70's the word wouldnt have had that double meaning.

Comment

I just tried them...and didn't like
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

I still have faggots occassionally and don't mind them. If you have a slight cash flow problem these are still surprisingly cheap. You can even microwave them. I have them with mash and veggies.

Comment

Also known as "Savoury Ducks" around here (Stoke). I love 'em, great with mash and also nice with chips. Very filling and a good meal on a winter's night.

Cheers,
                          Finnthedude.

Comment

My Dad bought a pack a few months back and he thought they were quite nice,
                            Then he had an operation a few weeks back on his nose.
                            Now his sense of smell (and thus taste) is back.
                            He tried another pack last week and thought they were horrible.
                            So, my Dad's verdict is.............
                            "They're alright as long as you can't taste 'em"

Comment

may seem silly but i never had at all never and still havent as when i was young and saw this advert on tv i thought they was made from brains lol silly me i still think that now they look horrible
                              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Working...
                              X