just remembered this band Chumbawamba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just remembered this band Chumbawamba

Chumbawamba formed in Burnley in 1982 with an initial line-up of Allan "Boff" Whalley, Danbert Nobacon (born Nigel Hunter), Midge and Tomi, all four previously of the band Chimp Eats Banana, shortly afterwards joined by Lou Watts

The band made their live debut in January 1982. Their first vinyl release was a track ("Three Years Later") on the Crass Records compilation album Bullshit Detector 2

my favorite song was
    69. Tubthumping, Chumbawamba

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: just remembered this band Chumbawamba

its a shame that a band that have released 17 albums over the years mixing punk and folk with some interesting things to say will allways be remembered for a three minute pop song about getting drunk and being knocked down

Comment

Most of the band are still living in and around the Burnley area,many of them are Burnley fans and follow there team

Comment

They split up last week I think
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...?newsfeed=true
        sigpic

Comment

hi mate yes i remember them.

i never knew they formed that long ago.
          i thought perhaps they formed in the mid nineties.

never knew they did so many albums either.

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
          Chumbawamba formed in Burnley in 1982 with an initial line-up of Allan "Boff" Whalley, Danbert Nobacon (born Nigel Hunter), Midge and Tomi, all four previously of the band Chimp Eats Banana, shortly afterwards joined by Lou Watts

The band made their live debut in January 1982. Their first vinyl release was a track ("Three Years Later") on the Crass Records compilation album Bullshit Detector 2

my favorite song was
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I seem to remeber they disrupted a awards ceremony of some description as well ... Brits I think it was ... 1998 .. Chumbawambe v John Prestcott
            When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

I had no idea that they were Burnley based, whenever they were mentioned they were always from Leeds.

I find it a bit weird they got knocked down and never got back up again.

It's really weird because while I was at the family meet (the one where I did the skank dance) the mother asked if I would like a whiskey drink or a vodka drink (because US beer is horrible), and then started singing that song.

Comment

I remember Tubthumping but that's it unfortunately.

For some reason I had 'Vindaloo' in my head when I read the 'Chumbawamba' post title then for some reason I was convinced that Chumbawamba were actually that band called Fat Les that had Keith Allen in it.

I think because it was around the same time that Tubthumping and Vindaloo were released, (World Cup 98?)

Comment

They were referenced in the new film American Reunion. It was done in such a way as to suggest ironically that they might turn up later in the movie.

It turned out that they didn't appear. TBH I was kinda glad.

Comment

I liked Tubthumping, just the sort of song that's fittingly fun to dance to when you've had a had a drink or 2.

After than they seemed to get into the news more for other reasons, like suggesting that fans steal their albums from shops.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I couldn't stand them - they kept droning about the ills of society and UK politics, especially Labour, but what did they themselves actually do ? I expect they annoyed so many in the music industry that its the real reason they never became bigger...to me, their stupid song reminds me of the beginning of 'New Labour' and Blair and how we came to be in the mess the countries in economically and socially because of it...face it, 'New Labour' mucked up even further what the previous Govts had been mucking up years before - but took it to an even worser extent that we now have the current Lib/Con mess we now have...I'm glad Chumbawamba got 'knocked down, and (DIDN'T) get back up again....hope they stay in Burnley, Lancs and never grace our eardrums or visual cortexes again!

Comment

Who can ever forget Chumbawamba? I loved "Tubthumping" when it came out - you can never go to a pub or a footy match without humming this song.

Comment

Loathed them, hated them.

Spoiled, middle class idiots playing at being class warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post

my favorite song was
                            Ineed Onthebusesfan Tubthumping was good. This (as I think I have said elsewhere on here, but I am unsure in whiuch thread) all falls into that Brit-pop era of the mid/late 90s taht I feel so privalged to remember/recall being a Teen/early 20s guy in

To me that is how the 60s must have felt with bands like Chumbawamba having just 1 major hit or so!

80sChav

Comment

That was a great song.Only hit they ever had,in Australia,anyhow.

Comment

Working...
                              X