The Golden Egg Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Golden Egg Restaurants

[QUOTE=djspenna;170159]There used to be one outside the back entrance of the Mander Centre, Wolverhampton. Always very busy.

Hello there ! I used to work at the Golden Egg in the Mander Centre during my late teens for extra money. Was a dishwasher, then waiter and lastly became a grill cook there. Always busy after footie games or Civic concerts. Great times though. Menu: Choppy Grill = 2 burger patties, egg, beans and chips. Smugglers Grill = Haddock, egg, beans and chips. Aagghhhh I remember the smell !!

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
      There was one in Leeds in the early 70's.
      I remember it well, and it went on till at least 1980. It had the egg and spoon picture. But restaurant is stretching it a bit. It was known by us as 'the greasy spoon' and I'd get egg and chips in there.

Comment

My Uncle owned 3 of these restaurants and we used to go there regularly. He had the ones in Stevenage, Luton and Barking. They were a bit more upmarket than Wimpy and the food was all served on oval plates. The pancakes were my favourite.

Comment

Used to go in the Golden Egg in Middle Street, Yeovil as a child, and when it became Poppins. Mum used to treat us to the pancakes. Yum.

Comment

There was a Golden Egg Restaurant Northgate Gloucester strangely enough not far from the Golden Goose Amusement Arcade
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Hello, Bit of a strange one.

But I'm currently making a documentary for BBC Four about eating out in Britian before the big american monopolies came along. (lyon cornerhouses, wimpeys, berni inns, the local italian restaurant, getting a balti for the first time etc).

I'm really interested in finding out a bit more about what going to a Golden Egg was like. Where you would find them. What kind of people would go. and any interesting stories you might have about eating there.

It would be lovely to hear from people who don't mind helping me understand a little more about what these places were like. I'd much rather hear from normal people rather than food writers or articles on the internet. Happy to talk by email or over the phone.

you can reach me at david.leach1@bbc.co.uk

If you are reading this post after October 2014 chances are my documentary as been made
              Last edited by david_leach; 15-08-2014, 15:48. Reason: additional thought

Comment

Email on way
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

There was a Golden Egg in Welwyn Garden City for a while. I think it came after the building's incarnation as a Wimpy Bar and before it became what it still is to this day, a Poppins restaurant.
                  If I recall correctly Dr Who actor Tom Baker opened the Golden Egg.

Comment

Hi, a little late but, just found this site.

The subject of 'Golden Egg' Restaurants came up today on the Robert Elms show on radio London asking if anyone remembers on in central London. I phoned in and joined the phone in to say that I remember one in the Charing Cross road just before getting to Trafalgar Square on the right hand side. This was in the early sixties and housed in a large cage in the window they kept a couple of monkeys. We used it a few times to have a quick meal before going to see a film or a show and it was always open until midnight or later. I don't think anyone really believed about the monkeys until another listener called in to confirm my story.

Comment

I think there might have been one in Slough!!

Comment

just reading Alexei Sayles' Stalin Ate My Homework and he mentions there was a Golden Egg round Hope Street near the Catholic cathedral in 1967. There was one in Manchester too that my dad took us too in the mid 1970s. I seem to remember everything with eggs on such as an egg-burger though I may be conflating Wimpy's and others into the memory.
                        Hangin' Around

Comment

Golden Egg and Spoon were as I remember them, they were cafes in the same way as Little Chef but better, better service and nicer food, there was one in Boscombe, Bournemouth that my dad would take me to in the 70's, I liked it.

Comment

Or could be described as egg-shaped plates ??

Comment

I remember the Golden Egg in Slough on 'Crown Corner' junction of the High Street, King William Street/Windsor Road (A332) on the south eastern side, from the '70's and early '80's. I've very fond memories of having meals there, my mum and dad preferred it to the Wimpy (pre Mc'd's days) as they both liked/had omelets there they offered something for everyone!

Comment

The title reminded me of The Golden Egg Awards which was something to do with Noel Edmonds on his Late, Late, Breakfast Show?
                                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X