No announcement yet.

The Golden Egg Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to work for Golden Egg Enterprises, part of Wimpy International, in the 1970’s and early 80’s. The Slough GE was in my area, I was a “Catering Adviser”, helping the owners, the restaurants were mostly franchised, to run their businesses. There was also one in nearby Windsor too.

Comment

Originally posted by Polboy View Post
      Re: The Golden Egg Restaurants

Hi, a little late but, just found this site.

The subject of 'Golden Egg' Restaurants came up today on the Robert Elms show on radio London asking if anyone remembers on in central London. I phoned in and joined the phone in to say that I remember one in the Charing Cross road just before getting to Trafalgar Square on the right hand side. This was in the early sixties and housed in a large cage in the window they kept a couple of monkeys. We used it a few times to have a quick meal before going to see a film or a show and it was always open until midnight or later. I don't think anyone really believed about the monkeys until another listener called in to confirm my story.
      I remember the monkeys too!

Comment

Originally posted by Tellingbone View Post

There was a Golden Egg in Welwyn Garden City for a while. I think it came after the building's incarnation as a Wimpy Bar and before it became what it still is to this day, a Poppins restaurant.
        If I recall correctly Dr Who actor Tom Baker opened the Golden Egg.
        Yes, was owned by the people that also owned the Clock restaurant that used to be on the A1 at Welwyn.

Comment

Originally posted by loubass View Post

My Uncle owned 3 of these restaurants and we used to go there regularly. He had the ones in Stevenage, Luton and Barking. They were a bit more upmarket than Wimpy and the food was all served on oval plates. The pancakes were my favourite.
          I think Your uncle also owned an American Diner, one of the first in the UK, in Stevenage, and he also owned the Wimpy in Stevenage too?

Comment

I have just seen this message. Yes my Uncle had an American Diner in Stevenage called Cody's. We loved going there, it really was ahead of it's time. He also had a few Wimpys and the very first Burger King in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by loubass View Post
              I have just seen this message. Yes my Uncle had an American Diner in Stevenage called Cody's. We loved going there, it really was ahead of its time. He also had a few Wimpys and the very first Burger King in the UK.
              Just read your response, thank you! I could not remember the Cody’s name, thanks for reminding me. I ate my first BLT at Cody’s in the ‘70’s! I had many chats with your uncle, he was very proud of his businesses and the huge (for its time) Golden Egg in the Arndale Centre Luton. Last time I saw your Uncle was at Silverstone Circuit, he had driven there in his classic car from Jersey!

Comment

Working...
              X