Terry and June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry and June

Terry and June is a British sitcom that was broadcast on BBC1 from 1979 to 1987. The programme is largely a reworking of Happy Ever After, and stars Terry Scott and June Whitfield as a middle-class suburban couple, Terry and June Medford. Most of the 65 episodes were written by John Kane, with seven other writers also writing some episodes.Terry Scott and June Whitfield began their television partnership in Scott On in 1968 On 7 May 1974, a Comedy Playhouse pilot called "Happy Ever After" aired on BBC1 with Scott and Whitfield playing Terry and June Fletcher, a middle-class couple whose grown-up children have just left home This was commissioned into a series, and five series and three Christmas specials were broadcast, ending on 20 December 1978.John T. Chapman, one of the original writers, said that the programme had run out of ideas and should end. BBC Comedy, however, were unwilling to end a popular show, and so brought in new writers. Legal complications meant that the name and setting had to change, and Terry and June was born.The characteristics of Terry and June remained largely similar,
    The character of Melinda Spry, Terry and June's neighbour, was originally played by Joan Benham in the 1981 episode "The Lawnmower". Benham died on 13 June 1981, and Terry and June was her last television appearance. She was replaced by Diana King.
    The BBC planned a feature-length film, entitled Terry and June - The Movie, but it was never madeCars
    In the first series,Terry drives a dark navy blue Mk2 Ford Granada. At the start of the second series Terry receives a new company car, a metallic Tara Green Austin Princess (a Series 2 1700HL model, with fake registration NMO 49W). This Princess was not used in the following series as the next model Terry uses is an older Series 1 Brooklands Green 2200HL, but still with the fake and now incorrect registration. In the 1984 season Terry keeps his "Wedge" theme with the updated Neutilus Blue Austin Ambassador. In the 1986 season, however, Terry goes back to Ford and drives a metallic red Ford Sierra. In the last season he switches to a briefly seen Mk3 Ford Granada.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: Terry and June

Caught a bit of this on one of the channels (Dave possibly) late in the afternnon a couple of weeks back . I remember watching it when it first came out, and like me, it hasn't aged well.

Comment

I really like Terry and June, Terry's thickness causes most of the humour, and Sir Dennis's commanding voice - "MEDFORD!". I love bad jokes and laugh at all his jokes. The rivalry between him and Malcolm is brilliant, as is the episode when he slams his auction hammer down on Tarquin's porcelain dog! Although I am young I watch a lot of the old sitcoms.

Comment

T&J was never cutting edge comedy but was fun to watch, mostly due to Terry's bufoonery.

The episode where he had to go to a party wearing a false beard is one I remember finding very funny.

Especially when he keeps getting food in the beard, & later gets pulled over by the police for driving without his headlight on.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

hi mate.
          nice to see you appreciate one of the old comedies.

june whitfield and terry scott where perfect for the show and complimented eachother perfectly.

one of my all time fave comedies.

here you go mate.
          http://youtu.be/AzHHQ81pxMA
          great theme tune.

Originally posted by jrt2345 View Post
          I really like Terry and June, Terry's thickness causes most of the humour, and Sir Dennis's commanding voice - "MEDFORD!". I love bad jokes and laugh at all his jokes. The rivalry between him and Malcolm is brilliant, as is the episode when he slams his auction hammer down on Tarquin's porcelain dog! Although I am young I watch a lot of the old sitcoms.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It was the theme tune I liked best...

Comment

what shocks me is there where only 65 episodes over its nine season nine year run.

to me it had everything a great comedy should have.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
              X