The Kenny Everett Television Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kenny Everett Television Show

The Kenny Everett Television Show (BBC 1981–1988)Everett fell out with Thames regarding the management of his show, including the scheduling against the BBC's top-rated Top of the Pops on Thursday evenings. The BBC offered him a live-audience sketch-format comedy programme, starting with a Christmas special on BBC One in 1981, followed by five primetime series. The writing team was bolstered by the addition of Andrew Marshall, David Renwick and Neil Shand, and the production standards were raised by the heavier investment from the Corporation.
    Thames Television claimed copyright on Everett's characters, and tried to prevent their use by the BBC. Whilst this action failed, it led to the creation of new characters such as Gizzard Puke (intended to replace Sid Snot), and the spooneristically named Cupid Stunt, an American B-movie actress with pneumatic breasts, and played with no attempt to disguise Everett's beard, who told a cardboard cutout of Michael Parkinson lurid tales of life on set with Burt Reynolds and other male stars of the era. Her original name, Mary Hinge, was vetoed by the Corporation as too obvious, and announcers were encouraged to refer to her as Cupid to prevent mispronunciation. Inept TV handyman Reg Prescott became another firm viewers' favourite, as each week he managed graphically and bloodily to injure himself with tools whilst attempting to demonstrate DIY tips.
    Brazilian-born Cleo Rocos co-starred in the BBC series. She often appeared in nothing more than frilly underwear and high heels, and her figure was used to great comic effect as a focus for drooling, lascivious men.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: The Kenny Everett Television Show

For some reason I never found Kenny Everett funny in any capacity, on reflection thats quite strange really as I loved the Young Ones which in all honesty was the same "anarchic" based comendy as KETS.

Still I remember it well so it had the desired impact
    When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

I found Ken a bit hit & miss, some sketches were laugh out funny but others were a bit indefferent.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i liked anything he did.
        i always found him very funny.
        he was a comedian like no other

someone i still miss.
        no comedian has had the effect kenny had on me.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Kenny Everett and Spike Milligan, quite possibly the two most insane (literally) comedians and they were absolutely genius, loved them both and miss them both!

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorQui View Post
            Kenny Everett and Spike Milligan, quite possibly the two most insane (literally) comedians and they were absolutely genius, loved them both and miss them both!

An absolute genius of a comedian. Some of his stuff may have been hit and miss but the majority hit the target. Just a shame that it is rarely shown on TV. Is there a reason for this?

Comment

More on ken here...
              https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...=Kenny+everett
              1976 Vintage

Comment

I always loved the kenny everett shows,and always looked forward to watching them.They were fun,anarchic and exciting when i was a young teen.Barry Cryer wrote a lot of the stuff for kenny's shows,and also a comedy horror film for kenny called: Bloodbath at the House of Death,which starred Vincent Price.

Comment

One of the staple shows I watched in my last few years of school.Could not wait to see it each time it was on.At the time it was funny.I have recently caught up with a few clips on u-tube but today it's just slightly amusing and odd,but not funny.

Comment

I'm a masive Kenny Everett fan, the guy was a genius and I miss him so much now he's gone. I just loved the TV shows he did. I've said this before but the one thing that always got me going was when you could hear the studio crew laughing. The cameramen, the sound guys, everyone, you could always hear them cracking up at some of the sketches. I always loved that. It must have been so much fun to work on that show.

And all his progs had sexy women. It was perfect.

I've got a few DVD's of his but there's precious little available for what was such an influential comedian.

If I could bring back one person it would definitely be him.

Cheers,
                    Finnthedude.

Comment

The BBC have a docu-drama about him in the works, which sounds good.

I've got a copy of The Custard Stops At Hatfield that's a very good read.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I liked Kenny Everett - he was funny, but I do agree, hit and miss. Wasn't it his Thames show that used to lampoon the Thames ident at the start with loads of boobs in the positions of all the landmarks the actual ident had? I liked his Rod Stewart sketch where his bum got bigger and bigger and then he floated off into the air...

I've never seen him as a genius - same with Spike Milligan - I just think thats just veneration going too far. Spike wasn't really very funny, he could sometimes be but on the whole he seemed to be a bit of a pompous and racist fool really - I mean, he had a character called 'Paki Daddy'...you can't excuse that as 'of its time' or 'he was of that generation', thats just some idiot (Spike) making out its funny and other racists laughing along with his rubbish...

Comment

I should point out that "idiot" is an ableist word. Just FYI.
                          http://www.youtube.com/video/ywjfSVrCqnk

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
                            I should point out that "idiot" is an ableist word. Just FYI.
                            Yes. Pleased to meet you too...

'FYI' I was using the term 'idiot' as per modern English usage as in 'fool, extreme folly, stupidity, and its symptoms - foolish, stupid etc...' not as a derogatory term to describe Spike's mental problems, especially his manic depression which I presume you were referring to? About the only thing I accredit and 'thank' Spike for is the fact he once described the symptoms of his malady and it made me realise I also suffer from a form of depression though not as severe as the kind he suffered from - so no, I wasn't referring to him per his 'ableism', I just think the man was a 'idiot' for creating racist characters and making fun of anyone darker than he was - hardly the work of a 'comedy genius'...FYI.

Comment

Can you stick to discusssing Kenny Everett please? If not off topic posts will be removed, thanks.
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                              X