Holiday cereals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday cereals

It's that time of year again when we pack up the car to go sit on a motorway and it got me thinking about holidays from the past. In particular, as I just read the Golden Nuggets cereal post, the little boxes of cereals we only ever used to get before going on holiday. We lovingly named these the 'holiday cereals' - not much imagination in our family.

If I remember correctly, there were 2 boxes of 5 different kinds of cereal so you had 10 in total and these were shrink wrapped for ease of travel, I presume. The only problem was the content of each box wasn't enough to fill you up so you typically had 2 at a time and the best ones were gone by Thursday so by the last day of your holidays you were packing the car up with a tummy full of Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies. Rubbish end to a holiday.

Re: Holiday cereals

Originally posted by scooby365 View Post
    It's that time of year again when we pack up the car to go sit on a motorway and it got me thinking about holidays from the past. In particular, as I just read the Golden Nuggets cereal post, the little boxes of cereals we only ever used to get before going on holiday. We lovingly named these the 'holiday cereals' - not much imagination in our family.

If I remember correctly, there were 2 boxes of 5 different kinds of cereal so you had 10 in total and these were shrink wrapped for ease of travel, I presume. The only problem was the content of each box wasn't enough to fill you up so you typically had 2 at a time and the best ones were gone by Thursday so by the last day of your holidays you were packing the car up with a tummy full of Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies. Rubbish end to a holiday.
    Lol that's what we used to have for breakfast at my nans when we visited her for our holidays, loved it.

Comment

My parents used to get those sets of 8 Kellogs mini-boxes for our holidays at my Gran's caravan in Wells Next The Sea. It was easier than taking 1 big box with us.

Weetabix used to do a similar selection of their Cereals, with Captain Sensible on the ads.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sounds like Kellogg Variety Mix.

Comment

absolutely certain of that mate.

i actually think there where 6 different cereals.

three im sure of are.

rice krispies
          corn flakes
          crunchy nut corn flakes.

anybody remember the others

pretty sure they can still be got.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
          Sounds like Kellogg Variety Mix.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We had them when I was younger my fav was the Ricicles (which I'm sure they stopped putting in after a while) We'd all fight over the 'sugar coated' type and leave the plain Cornflakes and Rice Krispies!
            Heather

Comment

I think Coco Pops, Special K & Bran Flakes were others included.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think they might have switched some of the varieties over the years, but they always kept the boring corn flakes and rice krispies. My favorite was the ricicles and I remember Start being in there as well at one point.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Kelloggs UK variety packs are a bit naff really, you don't get enough per carton and the portions got smaller and smaller over the years (like every other food then!) and they always put two or so of the really common ones like Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies like Tricky's said....I don't think they ever did a Bran Flakes variety box...and does anyone else remember when Bran Flakes boxes were a lighter blue?

Comment

A FEW LINKS I FOUND AND IM AMAZED HOW MANY DIFFERENT CEREALS THEY DID I ONLY THOUGHT THEY DID ABOUT EIGHT OF THEM SOME IVE NOT HEARD OF LIKE FRUIT LOOPS.

https://www.edeka-lebensmittel.de/im...472561-0-0.jpg

http://jasonburton80.files.wordpress...04/variety.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bhT3TmD9L.jpg
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Anyone remember when Ricicles tried to copy Lucky Charms by adding marshmallow shapes? It didn't last long.

Comment

Working...
                      X