TV drama about Falklands sailors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV drama about Falklands sailors

Does anyone remember a one-off BBC1 TV play that was aired either in late '82 or early '83 set in Portsmouth on the eve of the Falklands War?
    I can't remember for the life of me what it was called, but it focused upon a group of young sailors as they make ready for their departure for the South Atlantic. One of them gets drunk in a nightclub and ends up being dragged into the back alley by the nasty club bouncer, who beats him up so badly that he ends up in intensive care fighting for his life. Meanwhile his mates have their own worries- relationships under strain, family upsets, mental health problems and so on.
    The play was memorable for the scene where one of the guys, high on drugs, is doing handstands in the rain one night stripped to the waist. It ends with the nightclub bouncer getting his come-uppance when his victim's mates find out that he was responsible for their friend's maiming; they invade the club and blind him by smashing a beer-glass in his face, before the police arrive.
    Does anyone remember this one- ring any bells?? Had quite a haunting soundtrack as I recall. A lot of the play was pitched at the contrast between Royal Navy recruitment films and the reality of life in the 'senior service'.

Re: TV drama about Falklands sailors

Hi Roxxy,I vaguely remember this play,I remember one of the sailors was an unpleasant scottish character with a violent disposition.I beleive the actor who played him died not so long ago,cant remember his name though.It was a good play and I enjoyed it at the time. Macster123.

Comment

Look for a group on facebook called "going out" dave simpsdon on there was asking about copies of that series i deleted the emails he sent me with the title on.he knows what you are looking for.
      sigpic

Comment

it was a Channel 4 produced film Remembrance

Comment

Sounds like a multi part drama I remember called Tumbledown, but I think that was something else about Falkland soldiers.

Comment

Working...
          X