King's Holiday Camp at Canvey Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King's Holiday Camp at Canvey Island

We used to go off to Canvey Island every year from around 1976. I remember taking the note into my teacher at Junior school, to say I wouldn't be at school for a week, and her saying she hoped we had our gas masks. Had no clue what she meant but later found out it was with reference to the gas plants down in Essex.

Loved King's Holiday Camp. There was a lake where we could fish all day but by 10pm we had to pack up and leave; there was an old guy in a car that came around to tell us it was time to leave. During the day we used to have total freedom to wander around the camp. We could buy sweets + comics from the shop, or go to the onsite amusements, or hire bikes.

We either stayed in a caravan or a chalet.

Some days we'd wander into town and spend our holiday money; this was great as I bought some of my best toys like Six Million Dollar man, another year I bought the Bionic Woman, anything that you could actually play with and keep yourself entertained.

Happy holiday memories.

Heard the site was turned into a gated retirement home a few years back so never been able to go back .. maybe in 30 years time

Anybody else go there during the 70s?
Working...
X