Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember a 70s movie about a vampire woman with the plague?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember a 70s movie about a vampire woman with the plague?

I've just had a flashback of a film I saw in the late 70s. There was this rich woman in a house who was some kind of vampire who had the bubonic plague. I've memories of black boils on her hand or somewhere, though I know they were supposed to grow in the armpit or groin. It sounds a bit mad. I don't think this woman was the main character, there were kids I think in it who were suspicious of this woman. The creepy woman's name was Elizabeth 'Chesterton' or something like that. I've a feeling towards the end she was fliting about a graveyard in a floaty nightie..think she was dead at this point. It stuck in my head for some time, this film. I remember making a graveyard in my Granny's sandpit with flat stones and wildflowers and writing details on the headstones. I wrote this woman's name on one of them.

Re: Anyone remember a 70s movie about a vampire woman with the plague?

It could be one of Ingrid Pitt's films.Either Countess Dracula,where she frequently had boils when she changed back to being old and her name was Elizabeth Bathory in the film,or,The Vampire Lovers,where she flitted throught a graveyard wearing white towards the end.

Countess Dracula

Comment

Sorry Moonvisage it's neither of those. I meant to say, as far as I remember, this film is set in the modern day(70s) but the vampire woman could be deceptively yonks old. I think her hair is short and curlyish. I've a notion too that when she bites someone she leaves a bruise type mark instead of the usual fang impressions too by the way. I've seen Countess Dracula, not sure If I've seen The Vampire Lovers.

Comment

Could it be the 1971 film: Daughters of Darkness?

Comment

I don't think so Moonvisage, you're so good helping me in my brain racking! The film I'm thinking of has definitely something to do with the black death or bubonic plague of the middle ages. I'm not sure if this woman is reincarnated or is possessed by the spirit of a long dead vampire type individual. I don't even know if she sucks blood or just latches on to folk to pass on the disease.

Comment

It sounds more and more like it could be the film: Nosferatu 1979 Ann.

n

Is this any help?

Comment

No, not that. It wasn't a documentary. Thanks anyway Moonvisage. It was set in modern times - probably 70s. The woman wasn't wearing old style clothing either. I don't know if it would be classed as a horror film or a drama with a twist.

Comment

I know this is a really old thread, but I was just wondering if ann22 ever got to the bottom of this mystery? I watched this movie as a child and was fairly scared, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, or any more details than were in the original post...

Comment

I still haven't found out what it was Prickly Pear, at least one person on the planet besides me, remembers it! I looked through lists of all the tv movies of the 70's and early 80's and no luck at all. Thanks for your reply x

Comment

I think it may have been a twist in the end that we find out she was some sort of vampire...she was a wealthy woman with this evil secret. Very annoying not to get to the bottom of it. Name was defo Elizabeth with a 3 syllabled surname that I'm fairly sure ended with a 'ton'.

Comment

Yes, exactly! The way i found this thread was via a search for "elizabeth vampire plague movie" which was pretty much all i could remember. Surely there must be a movie buff out there somewhere who knows what this is!!

Comment

Originally posted by moonvisage View Post
                        It could be one of Ingrid Pitt's films.Either Countess Dracula,where she frequently had boils when she changed back to being old and her name was Elizabeth Bathory in the film,or,The Vampire Lovers,where she flitted throught a graveyard wearing white towards the end.

Countess Dracula

I was thinking along the same lines. It seems funny just how many female vampire films exploded onto the big screen in the 70's.A few seem to be based around Elizabeth Bathory. Seems to be everything from basic vampire to exploitation and everything in between and a few beyond.

Just thinking if the film was shown on TV then it should appear in one of the old TV guides of the period. Someone out there may have a few which they could look through.

Comment

I saw Countess Dracula a couple of times. The one I'm stuck on wasn't a costume period drama. It was set in the times it was made. The woman wore modern clothing although she was an 'old soul' of sorts.

Comment

Was the graveyard scene anything like this Ann?It may give us a better idea of the film if it is.

Comment

That's my favourite adaptation of Dracula! I bought the DVD a few years back. No the film was set in modern times- late sixties or seventies. It was the end of the film when this woman was flitting about between the headstones and I'm fairly sure it was clear she was a ghost by this stage.

Comment

Working...
                              X