When was your childhood ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was your childhood ?

You see, for me it's a very specific time, childhood was from my first memories till about 10. I don't really class my teens as my childhood and when anyone asks about when I was a kid I immediatly start scanning back to the early to mid 70's even though the later yeras were fantastic for me.

Also as a side note, have you always been nostalgic or did something kick it off in you ? (I can trace mine back to a Sunday afternoon and the kids asking what I watched on the tele when I was a kid and me youtubing it and thinking about their memories that they maybe haven't got /had yet)

Re: When was your childhood ?

I regard all my childhod, including my teens, as my childhood. Certainly up to 1997 anyway, which was when I left High School. For me, that's where my nostalgia ends, in 1997, when I left school. Was a good place to end nostalgia then, like the end of one ear of your life and the beginning of another.
    - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
    - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

The childhood years for me were probably 1968 until say1977 (aged 13) ............I remember so much from these years .........clothes, music, friends, toys, cars ..........I love watching all the tv programmes about this time ...........shows me how vivid and clear my memories still are

Comment

For me nostalga seemed to kick in early, about the time I could tell that things were different from a few years before. I can remember many things in detail from about 1981-2 (age 3-4), & by 1987 (when I was 9) I was beginning to think back.

Even the time when I was a young adult (late 1990s early 2000s) can bring memories back.

Oddly some periods seemed chock full of memories from lots of sources, but others seem to be a bit empty, often only a few months apart.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

what a great thread to start havasack.

i would regard my childhood from 1980 age 5 till 1990 age 15.

for me i can remember growing up in that decade to very well.
          i can remember the car my dad had,the amazing tv shows things that where happening in a sporting sense etc.

that decade holds my most precious memories of which ive not forgotten.

id say i started getting nostalgic around 2000 age 25 but could have been earlier.

and as the yrs have went on i have got more and more nostalgic and a at a very quick rate.

be it watching cartoons from that era, music from that era,films etc.

and the memories i have are just so clear in my mind.
          Last edited by darren; 07-08-2012, 14:35.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I'd say 1981 - 87 - happier times, simpler times. 1987 - 1996 when I was at school. Like others I vividly remember things from childhood. Nostalgia for me began when I joined DYR in 2007 or 8. Reading posts by others brings back forgotten memories, or being told about things by my parents about their lives as kids or living in the UK in the 1970s - food, clothes, politics, news, life etc, etc - for me, when people mention the 1976 Drought I remember Mum and Dad talking about standpipes and water being turned off at a certain time by 'The Water Board' (don't hear that much anymore do you?) and especially the time Dad decided to 'see what happens' when he flicked his lighter on by the side of the wooden slat fence in their garden and like a trail of dynamite the flame ignited and went fwoooshh all the way across the bottom and promptly caught the tinder dry fence on fire - my Mother got the hose on and doused it out! For me, thats a funny story - Dad being Dad - knowing what would happen and still oblivious to what would happen, Mum slapped him on his head and called him an idiot etc. If people in that area of Leamington Spa were around they should be thankful that a massive fire didn't start so Mum saved potential disaster!

A lot of things on DYR bring back memories - cars etc being one and it also evokes further memories of childhood....

Comment

Reading all these and thinking, I think I have always been nostalgic. I was brought up, pop culturally, on things like the Carry On movies and St Trinians - the PROPER original movies, and tv shows like On The Buses, Are You Being Served and Fawlty Towers. I was also into the modern comedy that was around then, Rik Mayall especially - he is my hero love to this day. Now when I see things from the 80s, it takes me back to a time of escapism, mental escapism. My upbringing was good in some ways, but really horrid in others, so I used my TV and video as a way of mentally running away. I daresay that a psychiatrist would have a field day with me because I said that but it really helped me, still helps me cope now.
              - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
              - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

My childhood was from the time I came into this world till I was about 13 or 14 years of age in about 1980.The years I am most fond of as a child would be the 70's althow I still feel as if a bit of that child still survives in me.
                When I used to go out with my mates drinking back in the 80's we would go over old tv shows that we would remember and music.But this was more idle chat and not true nostalgia.That has come about only over the last few years and partly due I think to things,people,places no longer being where they used to be or the world now changing faster then I can keep up with it.

Comment

I think I'd probably divide my childhood in to two parts. The early years 1980 to about 1989 when I turned 13 and the later years 1990 to 1992 when I left school. Beyond that I have nostalgic memories but they seem more 'grown up' and not quite as magical.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

As for when I became nostalgic, probably some time in my 20's when friends of a similar age began to discuss things from their childhood and I started to like looking through old family photograph albums. Before then I was too future orientated and never even thought to look back. I had no interest in the past or anything historical or
                    cultural. I suppose these things come with age!
                    Last edited by Trickyvee; 07-08-2012, 21:14.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I think that I often had nostalga as kid and am un-sure if I can divide my Childhood as such, though I guess I was more nostalig in my teen years. Two specificevents as a child that I can recall (then ore arising as I became more fond of times gone by), were in Home Economics at School in about 1993, I suddenley recalled the Football tables on Final Score on a Saturday Afternoon and how they were differenet colourings for the Play Offs Places and I had never thought of that at all for about 3/4 years at all and thought "wow I remember that, now", it is a memory that always will be there for me - even 20 years later!

The other was when I was a massive Neighbours fan, when it had it's Golden Era which i'd term as 1989 - 2000, and I was talking to my Auntie, she w#always came for an Evening one night a week at my Grans and we'd have Sandwhich's, Home-made Cake's etc and we'd just sit talking for ages, no TV one bar the Soaps and just disscuss everything from Politics to Shopping to the Price of Fish, to TV to whatever and we got on the Subject one night as a result and I said how much I hated (or similar) the writters bringing in family you never knew o years after, who had never been truly known of, in this case Gabby and Brad Willis as sibbling's to Adam and Cody and i'd said I never recalled Brad and Gabby and she agreed totaly, but not just for aruement's sake, but I just thought years later " all I said that night proved really really proved a point about me and why I appreciate nostalga so much"

I guess these are the 2 main nostalig events for me - though there are others like the demise of the Today Newspaper (though i've forgot what year, this would be sadly) but after these events everything started to happen thinking about the past really regular. Another event at School was doing an Art project in about 1992 or 1993 and having to sift through old Sunday Newspaper Magazines the Art room had and I found one in the box we were sifting though from 1977 though it could of been 1975, but i'd be more inclined more to say 1977 and looking at the old averts and just thinking "this is great, and thinking how long since it was", but on reflection years later it was'nt - it's only like now thinking back about 1997. Though i'd never of seen it like so then, but how I like these events i've described so much i'd have to right a book or Series of book's I am amazed by them so much and in so many differing aspects.

80sChav
                      Last edited by 80sChav; 07-08-2012, 23:57.

Comment

fantastic post chav.

as i said earlier the nostalgia thing came to me around 2000.

and all of a sudden i became nostalgic.

perhaps what made this happen was how things where then in 2000 and i then got really nostalgic and i have got more nostalgic as the yrs have went by.

the reason i have got more into nostalgia is because over the last 12 yrs things for me have got worse and i want to remember how things used to be.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Well I have to say I didn't think there'd be as much action on this thread as there has and it's been interesting reading. I think it proves that it's us that change, as much as the times.

Comment

I really think this is true and well put what Darren has added above. Thing's have so changed much too for me since 2000, though I noticed them changing previously (which i'd not added in my other post), which would be around 1995/1996 I think, which brought out nostalga in me as the years went by and I got older. I know there is still memories that continue from independent shop's etc, but even other thing's in a similar way have changed - I think 1995/1996 would be when I first noticed these changes so much.

Though i'd not visited as many locations at time of my life,I still recall it fondly as say the last great time before nostalga changed into everyday life. I recall the Spalding Flower Parade/Show I went to that Year, that really was one of the best Carnival Events i've ever been to and i'm no horticultarlist by any means - but the events and thing's taking place there that day was amazing (people having Table Top Sales in te street, Cafe's on every corner - that opend specialy for the day). Obviously thing's change ut for me it was so "1980's" that day and this just makes me think of happy times in the 1980s before the "rat race" became so I think//feel.

Comment

For me I think '87 to about '94 was the best part of my childhood. All that mattered to me then was going out to play, doing things I shouldn't be doing and riding around on my bike and skateboard. I was well looked after and didn't really want anything. The summers were long and hot and although I declared I was bored and there was nothing to do there always was. I was good at making up my own fun then. Summers lasted forever and school was enjoyable.

From '95 to about '99 was a different chapter. The excrement made physical contact with the electric powered oscillating air current distribution device. Despite all that went wrong I put a face on and remained upbeat for a lot of people but that part of my childhood was crippling. You see each luxury of being an innocent child erode underneath your feet. The bubble of youth that protected you pops and you are left to deal with an adult world. I've been watching my 15 year old cousin go through the same thing as I did. She was happy go lucky just like me, but you can see the life of a teen and the worries of what the future holds is a grimacing thought to her. That transition into an adult is a nasty thing, some people are still kids well into their 20's and 30's while others mature the second they step out of school. It's a weird thing that I'll never really get my head around.

Comment

Working...
                              X