Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When was your childhood ?

Default Re: When was your childhood ?

I think I stopped considering myself a child when I was about 14, 1987. Things really changed though in '89 when I left school and started a good old YTS. I was born in '73 and my memories start in the mid 70's. Life always seems magical when I look back to those times (mid 70's to the late 80's). I've always loved social history. Even as a kid I liked books about the past. Loved and still love going to 'living' museums like Beamish and The Black Country Museum.
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

during my childhood between the ages of five to fifteen i remember my dad had a foerd capri and i think a lada as well.

i remember those long scorching hot summers sitting along the river bank with mates collecting ladybirds and tadpoles etc in jam jars.

being out to nine on schoolnights once i reached about 10.
    we had acres and acres of fields which stretched for what seemed forever.

playing in the trees,playing footie up against the wall or down the fields.
    on one of these fields proper matches where played by local teams remember watching them many a time.

can remember in my childhood getting my zx spectrum what a great day that was and all those fab games like jet set willy,renegade etc.

and when we played footie in the street all the neighbours would be out talking away to each other as if they had knew each other alll there lives.

the neighbours would bring us and other kids out drinks etc.

its as if we where all extended family or something.

lots of us bought sticker albums i know i never completed any,never had enough time to complete them can still remember the smell of the stickers and albums.

and of course the great programmes like grange hill,dangermouse,thundecats,etc etc etc.

im still as much a kid now as i was then.
    Last edited by darren; 09-08-2012 at 15:26.

Yeah, good times. It was a good place to grow up when I was growing up, where I live. It's all changed now. The nature of the kids around nowadays is just more nasty and destructive I think. OK, we were naughty, we'd knock someone's door and run away. Now the kids throw missiles at your windows and try to break the doors down.

In the middle of the 16th century. I'm the oldest living person just in case you don't know.

my childhood for me was up to age 12, once i hit the teens i didn't class myself as a kid anymore.

my childhood was the good old 80s, and growing up in the 80s for me for the greatest life experience ever, i absolutely loved everything in the 80s, the music, the TV shows, the toys, the outrageous fashion.

If we are not including toddler years (0-4) or the teenage years (15-18), its 1975-1985 for me.

Let's have a debate on at what age 'childhood' comes to an end. Most people nowadays would say between the ages of 16 and 18. 16 is the 'age of consent' in Britain and 18 is the 'age of majority', the age at which young people 'come of age'. However, the age of majority was 21 until quite recently and in Bible times it was 30 (fancy being a 'child' for three decades, talk about Peter Pan).
    In some states of the US youngsters are considered old enough to drive as early as 14 and in 1959 the rock singer Jerry-Lee Lewis married his 13-year-old cousin in a state with a low age of consent.

mmmmm ... maybe next year after I turn 58

I'm 43 and I've certainly never grown up yet. I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Anyone else on here know anything about that?

Quote Originally Posted by philipdalton View Post
    I'm 43 and I've certainly never grown up yet. I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Anyone else on here know anything about that?
    Yeah, it's just an excuse for people to be rude, selfish and antisocial! Think I've got it!