Clear All

Re: Mr bean

I looooooooooooove Mr Bean and Rowan. <3
    - Rik Mayall Fanpage On Facebook
    - My retro Youtube channel.

Come Join The Fun!

Comment

my youngest son has discovered mr bean through the cartoon series and you tube,it keeps him laughing but then again he is 7
      personally i hate the thing its not funny someone should string bean up

Comment

i've always kept my dislike of mr bean to myself as i don't know anyone who doesnt find him hilariously funny..........i'm so glad there are 'no likey's here........makes me feel i am actually not a misog

Comment

I liked Bean when it first appeared but it wore thin after a couple of series.
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I just didn't get Mr Bean when it came out. I always thought that Rowan Atkinson was an extremely funny man but always believed that Bean was his worst and less inspired creations, a creation for children really. Not my cup of tea at all!

Comment

Mr Bean is a laugh a minute. Everything he does he finds a unique way of doing, such as making a sandwich in the park using his socks, trying to get out of the car park without paying, plus getting home with all those tins of paint, a brilliant character and finely acted. Bravo, Mr Bean.

Comment

yes he is creative for sure.

ike when he paints his flat ge first rtries using teddys head.hehe.
                then he covers everything in newspaper everything including the gold door handle.ha.

he then lights a fuise which is attached to the tin of paint and bang it works.
                but he gets in a tizzy as he cant find the gold door knob.

and he does not like that three wheeler car.

Originally posted by jrt2345 View Post
                Mr Bean is a laugh a minute. Everything he does he finds a unique way of doing, such as making a sandwich in the park using his socks, trying to get out of the car park without paying, plus getting home with all those tins of paint, a brilliant character and finely acted. Bravo, Mr Bean.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Well, The Curse of Mr Bean off ITunes:

Do you think Bean ever goes after those boys who caused him to fall from the diving board?

Likewise, I wish i could be a fly on the wall when the parents of the little girl in the yellow swimsuit realise that she's got a pair of men's swim trunks with her as well as her snorkel.

I wonder if the women's swimming class that Bean flashes are traumatised for long?
                  http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

I didn't even know that this thread had existed! - thanks for bumping it up, Victoria.

I always enjoy watching the Curse of Mr Bean. Now, those boys would roughly be the same age as myself when the episode was made in 1990 - in fact, they both reminded me of two lads who were in my year at school!

I do like how they gave him a helping hand (or rather, foot) to get him into the water from the high platform, and that his trunks came off in the water which the girl fishes out of the water, so he has to get out of the pool naked before causing the old "harassment, alarm and distress" cliché to some teenage girls getting out of their changing rooms.

Angus Deayton makes two appearances in that episode - the first is in the swimming pool sketch, telling Bean to get out of the pool when he tries to get in via the orange kids' slide, hence Bean going right up to the top diving board before bottling it. The second appearance is when Bean sits on a park bench in the second half and makes a sandwich, and Deayton plays the straight man there. I doubt that they were both supposed to be the same character however.

I have to say that I love Mr Bean and the fact that the 1990s was only 20 hours old when we first saw his first episode. I suppose that from Merry Christmas Mr Bean in 1992 it became themed episodes instead of unrelated sketches, although it did return to unrelated sketches for the final couple of episodes - the episode's title referring to one of the sketches only.

On Monday 5th July 1993 (according to my research) I had some mock examinations all day at school, and what did I find on ITV when I got home that evening? A repeat of the very first Mr Bean episode where he was in an examination hall and was trying to cheat by copying Paul "Watching" Bown's exam answers, and I had enough of exams for that day! Talk about de ja vu! Great to see Trevor McDonald lookalike Rudolph Walker as the invigilator in that sketch, and that Love They Neighbour was not quite the end of his acting career.

And for years I had a thing about the boy's mother who had appeared in the dentists' waiting room in The Trouble With... I got her autograph a few years ago when I wrote to her via her agent.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I really liked Mr Bean, I've got the first video & Mr Bean's Diary.

Certainly a new episode was a "must see" for me, & would be the talking point of the school the day afterwards.
                      I got myself a copy of the Diary for myself in WHSmith back in 1992 - I did ask for it as a Christmas present that year, but I just couldn't wait to get it! The diary isn't one which is written in an "Adrian Mole" sense, but a "used" council diary (do they really have them in real life?) with Bean (Atkinson's) handwriting in it throughout. I have seen pre-printed signed photographs of Mr Bean written exactly like that!

I used to look forward to Atkinson's appearances as Bean on chat shows such as Des O'Connor Tonight promoting the Diary, as well as shows like the National Lottery and Live and Kicking. He was everywhere circa 1993 - a Charlie Chaplin of the 1990s if you like.

I suppose that playing a character like Mr Bean is so easy by virtue of the fact that an actor would have very few lines to remember, and also the fact that the episodes can be seen in other countries around the world where very little translation is needed. And apart from the nudity from time to time, he is inoffensive - well, he hardly uses bad language, does he?
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I got the DVD box set for Christmas as both me & my wife like Mr Bean.

There are a large selection of subtitles in different languages, which shows how easy it was to export.

I had the diary for Christmas 1992, & still have it, some entries inside are hilarious.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

That little girl who walks off with Bean's swim trunks looks soo young - you'd think her parents would be watching her closely just because of her age and notice her snorkeling the trunks - although i guess that's part of the joke that we don't see the aftermath when the child has to explain.

Comment

I bet that the girl would be in her early 30s now considering it was filmed back in 1990.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have a family photo from that era taken at my local swimming centre of the beginners swimmers class and EVERY ONE of the small girls is wearing some variation of the swimsuit the little girl in The Curse of Mr Bean wore.

And of course even if eighties culture and fashion hadn't "hung over", since there was no year zero, 1990 is part of the previous decade.

Comment

One of the boys at the swimming pool looks like one of cousins did at the time, which makes it even more funny.
                                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                                X