Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things we got or had collected for us as kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we got or had collected for us as kids?

My Uncle used to smoke park drive cigs.

In each pack was a voucher which you saved and when you had enough you could buy gifts from a catalogue.

He was a heavy smoker and every couple of months he would get me a toy or book with them.

Also remember when you got green shield stamps with your shopping at tesco.

Used to have to lick hundreds of them and put in a book.
    When you had saved about 100 books you had enough for a tennis ball or something

Buzz

Comment

My grandad Ernie, God bless him, used the Shell garages and collected various things for me...... and Esso too, 'Put a tiger in your tank' there wouldn't be room would there? I had the 66 world cup team, small plastic busts, footballer coins/medals too.

Comment

There wasn't a lot of money in my family with my mum having to feed/clothe 5 kids etc, but religiously got all the first day covers for new stamps that were bought into circulation - still got them 40 odd years later.

Also did the greenshield stamp and co-op stamp bit. Spent ages sticking them in the books for my mum (tasted disgusting, but we all fought over whose turn it was).

Can remember dad used to collect the cigarette cards for free gifts. Also the coin/tokens free with petrol (think it was the tiger in you tank).

During the 60's/70's kids use to collect the Trolls (on left) and Gonks - had trolls, but never had a gonk!!

The gonks were popular at the time (wonder why lol), but the trolls still are around.

Of course we all had marble collections, rubbers and badges etc
        Attached Files

Comment

I collected beer mats as a kid, I ended up with about 3 bags full, mum threw them all away when I left home I was gutted,my fav was shaped like a light bulb.:cry:
          Heather

Comment

:cry::cry: I was in the middle of a huge reply, when Firefox shut down and updated..lost my thread now:cry:

Comment

tut @ your firefox

lol used to collect spokey dokeys for our bikes
              and also the beer things that were on the barrels were kinda plastic disc shaped lid in diff colours they went on the bikes too lol
              sigpic

Comment

Rubbers and keyrings, loved all the scented rubbers hmm can still smell them now!
                No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                  :cry::cry: I was in the middle of a huge reply, when Firefox shut down and updated..lost my thread now
                  thinks Daz should start the whole thing all over again.
                  Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                    I collected beer mats as a kid, I ended up with about 3 bags full, mum threw them all away when I left home I was gutted,my fav was shaped like a light bulb.:cry:

LOL - I collected beermats too. Had them all in a scrap book. Dont know what ever happened to them. Also collected egg cups. Still got most of those.
                    ....don't take life so seriously...or you'll never get out alive....

Comment

ive got a massive collection of rubbers now, all from the 80s, keeping the kids hands off them is hard though,
                      and i got 3 fluppys, after some more,
                      and......... mouse trolls, they are so cute
                      sigpic

Comment

My friend and I collected erasers in Primary School, not just the novelty ones though - any we could find. We got busted in the end though coz there wasn't a single eraser left in the classroom! I also collected stickers, marbles, toys from kinder surprise, matchbox cars, oh and those gollywog badges from Robertson's jam, and those cards you got with packets of sweet cigarettes.
                        "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Originally posted by stevef View Post
                          My friend and I collected erasers in Primary School, not just the novelty ones though - any we could find. We got busted in the end though coz there wasn't a single eraser left in the classroom! I also collected stickers, marbles, toys from kinder surprise, matchbox cars, oh and those gollywog badges from Robertson's jam, and those cards you got with packets of sweet cigarettes.

So you were a "Rubber Robber"!!

Remember the gollywog badges and still have them tucked away somewhere. Even got a Blue Peter Badge from the 1960's,

Another thing we collected as kids was autographs - always saw a show on the pier when we went on holiday. Got Sid James, Peter Purves (he came to a summer fair at my primary school) and a few others which I can't remember (age!!).

Collected conkers which I think must have got on my mum's nerves as there was 5 of us. Learnt with my kids to keep them in carrier bags, so they went mouldy after a couple of weeks so had to be chucked in the bin!! - Mother from Hell lol!!

Comment

I only collected 2 autographs, Cheryl Baker from Bucks Fizz and one of the guys from the band of the same name. They were making a guest appearance at a florist near our home but my mum wouldn't let me go, so my brothers went instead
                            "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Originally posted by ceg56 View Post
                              So you were a "Rubber Robber"!!

Remember the gollywog badges and still have them tucked away somewhere. Even got a Blue Peter Badge from the 1960's,

Another thing we collected as kids was autographs - always saw a show on the pier when we went on holiday. Got Sid James, Peter Purves (he came to a summer fair at my primary school) and a few others which I can't remember (age!!).

Collected conkers which I think must have got on my mum's nerves as there was 5 of us. Learnt with my kids to keep them in carrier bags, so they went mouldy after a couple of weeks so had to be chucked in the bin!! - Mother from Hell lol!!
                              Talking conkers did anyone else cringe at the question posed by Rita to Norris on Corry the other night?..... the one that went..... 'Well what did you use to dangle your conkers? they were on about string actually!
                              sigpic
                              Mrs Oggy
                              ~~~*~~~*~~~
                              Count your friends amongst the stars....
                              And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

LOL!!

I did see it and am desperately trying to block any images from my mind!!

Comment

Working...
                                X