Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things we got or had collected for us as kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things we got or had collected for us as kids?

It is. He was in the same School and year as a lot of girls I use to work with.
    Heather

Comment

Re: Warlord Secret Agent

I did have a collection from a Petrol station on which you collected all the football club badges.
      I have a 1972 free gift from the Victor which is a white plastic wallet in which you collected pictures of the Football stars of the day.
      Oggie.

Comment

Re: Warlord Secret Agent

I still have all my old Warlord comics...I was never an agent though.

Originally posted by Oggie View Post
        I did have a similar style thing from a Petrol station on which you collected all the football club badges.
        Hey Oggie, my brother and I had those. Was yours dark blue with the stick-in badges made of metallic card?

Comment

Here's some Esso ones from 1972

Heather

Comment

nice huggie.
            but a bit before my time.
            ive always wondered where these replaced with the big sticker books.
            you know the ones that had stickers for each cub's players say for example the 1985 season.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Coins that had footballers on from petrol garages, triangular stickers with place names that you stuck in the back window of your dad's car, cards with pictures of the American Civil war that came with chewing gum.

Comment

I used to collect these American Football top key rings that came with bubbly gum. I had loads of them, I used to put the dupes on my school bag, I think there was more weight from the key rings than the actual contents of the bag. Weird thing is I didn't even really like the gum, but the shirts were the draw for me.

When I grew up a little bit I used to collect pogs, although that was the era where collecting went to the back of my mind and the ladies come to the front. I did collect all the Tazo's and Qubix, both of which are framed somewhere in the loft. The Qubix one is actually a portrait of a Looney Toons scene, I have no idea if it would be worth anything.

A collection which just sort of happened were games. I must have at least 1000 C64 games. They were so cheap back then, and could be picked up pretty much anywhere. Of course other platforms followed, I wouldn't like to put a count on how many I actually have now.

Comment

PG Tips cards and Robertsons Jam/Marmalade Golly Badges.

Do they still do those? (Goes off to google...)
                  "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Just googled:

Golly was originally used as the Robertson's trademark in the 1920s. The first Robertson's collectable badges used the Golly image; these were discontinued in 2002 because although he was much loved for many years he was no longer an appropriate icon.

The collectable badges continued through a partnership with The World of Roald Dahl. The badges were a range of seven key Roald Dahl characters illustrated by Quentin Blake, such as the Big Friendly Giant, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, and Willy Wonka. This collectable scheme ended in 2006.

The current collectable badges are Paddington Bear ones.

Comment

I fondly remember collecting the paper Golly labels on the Robertson's jars and desperately wanted a Golly brooch, even though I had no idea what a brooch was...or even how to pronounce it, as it turned out! I never got one and now it's too late...although there's always eBay...but it's not the same.

Comment

I know what you mean about collecting via ebay not being the same. There are so many things I wish I'd held on to from the past but it's impossible to keep everything. Lol @ you not knowing what a brooch was or how to pronounce it - weren't they badges?

I vaguely remember my older cousin giving me a couple of Golly statues but I don't have those anymore, not sure what happened to those...

Comment

Yes they were badges but I definitely remember it stating "brooch" on the label. It all added to the exciting mystery of it all, though. Happy days, eh?

Comment

I was no collector - I could never see the point of collecting things.

But when I was very young - about 4 or 5 - there was a shop my mum and I regularly went to, where the man behind the counter would sometimes give me an empty tobacco tin.

I accepted this gift gratefully, like I was supposed to, and it was a different brand each time, so after a while I had three or four of them. I liked the brightly coloured designs, and the fact that they were all different. But what the hell is a child expected to do with an empty tobacco tin?
                            The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Originally posted by Marillion View Post
                              nt. But what the hell is a child expected to do with an empty tobacco tin?
                              Hehe my Mum would have made us take our school Dinner/Milk money to school in them

Also I seem to remember us taking small flash/word cards to school and back in them.
                              Heather

Comment

Ah, flash cards....

Do they still use them in schools today?

Comment

Working...
                                X